Tuesday night Beach Rd ride in Melbourne

531Aussie

Well-Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
12,678
Anyone doing it?

It's getting far too big and far too dangerous, with another stack tonight.

The growing size of the group, the "peakish" hour time-slot, being in the dark, and the varying abilities of the riders has made the ride very dangerous -- definitely more dangerous than racing.

I reckon something should be done, such as (perhaps) splitting the group when they get down to Mordy....or whatever.

Any suggestions?

It used to be the "Fitzroy Cycles Ride", but there seems to be heaps of Richmond Cyclery guys down there, so maybe some of them can take charge and try to curb the "mayhem" :p

531Aussie wrote:
> Anyone doing it?
>
> It's getting far too big and far too dangerous, with another stack
> tonight.
>
> The growing size of the group, the "peakish" hour time-slot, being in
> the dark, and the varying abilities of the riders has made the ride
> very dangerous -- definitely more dangerous than racing.
>
> I reckon something should be done, such as (perhaps) splitting the
> group when they get down to Mordy....or whatever.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> It used to be the "Fitzroy Cycles Ride", but there seems to be heaps

of
> Richmond Cyclery guys down there, so maybe some of them can take

charge
> and try to curb the "mayhem" :p

IMO opinion, it seems most of the large Beach Rd rides have become more
dangerous over the last 18 months. The numbers have swelled and too
many guys are head down **** up just hanging on. My regular ride, the
5.45 am North Road ride has become a complete shambles, no one seems to
roll turns anymore, rather certain guys drive the bunch as hard as
possible for a km or so then slow up which causes massive yo-yoing
through the lines. It seems to have more and more A graders coming
down from the 6.00 am bunch and they seem to have brought their nasty
habits with them, which was the original reason why the 5.45 am bunch
formed. Now it seems most of the guys who started the 5.45 ride have
disappeared. I guess it goes hand in hand with the increase in the
popularity of cycling and may just be the nature of it now ?

I couldn't have put it better had I written 2 pages! :D

I only do them now when the weather's slightly dodgey and I know the numbers will be right down.

Any suggestions on what can be done?

I don't suppose it could be graded.

531Aussie said:
Any suggestions on what can be done?

Start your own ride somewhere close to home, publish the details on the net (speed, etiquette, sprints, etc.).

Build it and they will come......

"531Aussie" wrote in message
> Any suggestions on what can be done?
>
> I don't suppose it could be graded.

Maybe find an alternate group and head inland for some 'real' cycling in the
hills? I did a short Beach Rd stint on the weekend, only good part was
the head wind..

:ducks and covers:

cheers,
GPL

Shabby said:
Start your own ride somewhere close to home, publish the details on the net (speed, etiquette, sprints, etc.).

Build it and they will come......

Point noted. Think I'll stick to my Yarra Blvd Bog Lap. Familiar & closer to home. :p

GPLama said:
I did a short Beach Rd stint on the weekend, only good part was the head wind..

That reminds me of a bazar conversation I had when I was at uni, with a physiology lecturer who was also a recreational rider.

She said she could not get her HR above 140 riding on flat ground!!

So there I was, this big fat Beach Rd bogan B grade grinder, telling this educated woman with a "BhP", and 28 other letters after her name, that she had it all wrong, she didn't know how to ride, and did she think that elite track pursuiters had a problem gettting their HR up on a flat velodrome :p

If someone can't get a rise out of their ticker on a flat road, it's either a technique or motivation problem :D

cfsmtb said:
Think I'll stick to my Yarra Blvd Bog Lap.
I like the isolation of that road, and rode it many times when I was commuting from Bentleigh to La Trobe Uni, but it has GOTTA BE THE CRAPPEST BUMPY ROAD IN MELBOURNE!! :p

I had to let my tyres down to 40psi just to stop the fillings rattling out of my mouth......dislodged my sinus congestion, though :)

531Aussie said:
I like the isolation of that road, and rode it many times when I was commuting from Bentleigh to La Trobe Uni, but it has GOTTA BE THE CRAPPEST BUMPY ROAD IN MELBOURNE!! :p

I had to let my tyres down to 40psi just to stop the fillings rattling out of my mouth......dislodged my sinus congestion, though :)

I'll agree with that, but the Rubino's handle the surface beautifully.

Visualise of the boulevard differently then, fantasise its really Belgian pave' with cheering, adoring crowds.....

531Aussie wrote:

> GPLama Wrote:
> > I did a short Beach Rd stint on the weekend, only good part was the head
> > wind..

> That reminds me of a bazar conversation I had when I was at uni, with a
> physiology lecturer who was also a recreational rider.
>
> She said she could not get her HR above 140 riding on flat ground!!
>
> So there I was, this big fat Beach Rd bogan B grade grinder, telling
> this educated woman with a "BhP", and 28 other letters after her name,
> that she had it all wrong, she didn't know how to ride, and did she
> think that elite track pursuiters had a problem gettting their HR up on
> a flat velodrome :p
>
> If someone can't get a rise out of their ticker on a flat road, it's
> either a technique or motivation problem :D
>
> --
> 531Aussie

I'd be tempted to agree with you there. But it could also be a leg
strength / neural firing vs cardio fitness thing. I ran a half mara on
Sunday, haven't trained for it. Heart rate was nice'n'low the entire
time but my legs just aren't strong enough to do what they want to or
used to. When I was training for Ironman, same thing on the bike, and I
had lots of people assess technique - it was just that my heart was a
lot fitter than my legs were - cardio endurance kicked butt over
strength endurance.

By the way, ya can't trust them edumucated types.

Tam <insert random letters here>

On 2005-04-27, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tam <insert random letters here>

That would be "B.U., L.Ls, H.It, Te.R"? ;)

531Aussie said:
Anyone doing it?

It's getting far too big and far too dangerous, with another stack tonight.

The growing size of the group, the "peakish" hour time-slot, being in the dark, and the varying abilities of the riders has made the ride very dangerous -- definitely more dangerous than racing.

I reckon something should be done, such as (perhaps) splitting the group when they get down to Mordy....or whatever.

Any suggestions?

It used to be the "Fitzroy Cycles Ride", but there seems to be heaps of Richmond Cyclery guys down there, so maybe some of them can take charge and try to curb the "mayhem" :p

get a group together and. shock horror!, go_in_a_different_direction!!!

crazy concept but it might just catch on. 'Alpine tour de Suburbs' thursday's is a great example. This is a tuff ride (having only done it once) but a beauty. '***** Rd' is just like being on a production line IMHO

flyingdutch said:
'Alpine tour de Suburbs' thursday's is a great example. This is a tuff ride (having only done it once) but a beauty.
This is probably my favourite ride because it's heaps safer, as the hard sections are up hills at only 20 to 30kmh. It's just that it's a bit shitty to do in winter because it gets pretty cold out there, so I don't like the stopping and starting when it's 9 degrees :)

flyingdutch said:
get a group together and. shock horror!, go_in_a_different_direction!!!

crazy concept but it might just catch on. 'Alpine tour de Suburbs' thursday's is a great example. This is a tuff ride (having only done it once) but a beauty. '***** Rd' is just like being on a production line IMHO

This has inspired me. I think we should set up a new ride early mornings (say 6:00am) that does a similar route to the Alpine Tour of the burbs. Meet somewhere in North Balwyn and start with the Doncaster Rd hill. We'll stop for straglers in places similar to the Alpine Tour of the burbs ride as well. I reckon this could catch on.

jazmo said:
This has inspired me. I think we should set up a new ride early mornings (say 6:00am) that does a similar route to the Alpine Tour of the burbs. Meet somewhere in North Balwyn and start with the Doncaster Rd hill. We'll stop for straglers in places similar to the Alpine Tour of the burbs ride as well. I reckon this could catch on.

greythorn shops starting point? (Doncaster Rd).
Up to shoppingtown, then???
I cant clearly remember the route of the 'suburbs-alpine'.
Gotta include Burgundy St (bwahahahahahahahahah) and then perhaps the tailend of the BR ride to the Kew boulevard, with a return lap of that (then i might bail to CBD-work) or extra laps or Chandler and right UP Princes St hill (similar to Burgundy) and back left to Kilby and Doncaster Rd

Hangon. what am i doing? these are hills!?!?!?!?
Oh well, what wont kill me shall make me stronger, right?
(Sunday must have made me REAL strong then :rolleyes: )

You others probably know this Donc/Templestowe area far better than me, so over to you...

"flyingdutch" wrote in message...

> You others probably know this Donc/Templestowe area far better than me,
> so over to you...

6am doesn't exist.. you guys are attempting to create more 'day' in a single
day..

I wouldn't mind a mid week 'tour de something' during daylight.. oh wait..
6am != daylight... What is teh suckth is that the top of Doncaster hill is
3/4 of the way to work for me.. then again, an extra loop of Doncaster Rd
hill might be enough to wake me up at that time of the day..

cheers,
GPL

flyingdutch said:
greythorn shops starting point? (Doncaster Rd).
Up to shoppingtown, then???
I cant clearly remember the route of the 'suburbs-alpine'.
Gotta include Burgundy St (bwahahahahahahahahah) and then perhaps the tailend of the BR ride to the Kew boulevard, with a return lap of that (then i might bail to CBD-work) or extra laps or Chandler and right UP Princes St hill (similar to Burgundy) and back left to Kilby and Doncaster Rd

Hangon. what am i doing? these are hills!?!?!?!?
Oh well, what wont kill me shall make me stronger, right?
(Sunday must have made me REAL strong then :rolleyes: )

You others probably know this Donc/Templestowe area far better than me, so over to you...

I'd say do it from the North Balwyn junction where Safeway is. Doncaster Rd up to Shoppingtown. Left one Williamsons Rd. Keep going past Aquarena down past Lynwood Pde and turn left into Serpells Rd. Then left again onto Foote St. Go down Foote St and turn left at High St. Then right onto Manningham Rd. The onto Burgundy St. Down upper Heidelberg Rd and then as you say basically the BR ride and onto the Yarra Blvd. If we're early enough we can stop for coffee (on Bridge Rd) before heading into our respective work places.

Sounds like a plan. What day? I'd prefer Wednesday mornings.

jazmo wrote:

> I'd say do it from the North Balwyn junction where Safeway is.
> Doncaster Rd up to Shoppingtown. Left one Williamsons Rd. Keep going
> past Aquarena down past Lynwood Pde and turn left into Serpells Rd.
> Then left again onto Foote St. Go down Foote St and turn left at High
> St. Then right onto Manningham Rd. The onto Burgundy St. Down upper
> Heidelberg Rd and then as you say basically the BR ride and onto the
> Yarra Blvd. If we're early enough we can stop for coffee (on Bridge Rd)
> before heading into our respective work places.
>
> Sounds like a plan. What day? I'd prefer Wednesday mornings.

You had me until the ride on to work bit. There's no way I'm doing that
ride on the MTB with full panniers.

DaveB

jazmo said:
I'd say do it from the North Balwyn junction where Safeway is. Doncaster Rd up to Shoppingtown. Left one Williamsons Rd. Keep going past Aquarena down past Lynwood Pde and turn left into Serpells Rd. Then left again onto Foote St. Go down Foote St and turn left at High St. Then right onto Manningham Rd. The onto Burgundy St. Down upper Heidelberg Rd and then as you say basically the BR ride and onto the Yarra Blvd. If we're early enough we can stop for coffee (on Bridge Rd) before heading into our respective work places.

Sounds like a plan. What day? I'd prefer Wednesday mornings.
Sounds like a pretty cool ride, be interested to give it a go seen as I dont ride much out that way and have no idea where I could be going, I'll look out for a post about it.

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 531Aussie wrote:
>>
>> GPLama Wrote:
>> > I did a short Beach Rd stint on the weekend, only good part was the
>> > head
>> > wind..

>> That reminds me of a bazar conversation I had when I was at uni, with a
>> physiology lecturer who was also a recreational rider.
>>
>> She said she could not get her HR above 140 riding on flat ground!!
>>
>> So there I was, this big fat Beach Rd bogan B grade grinder, telling
>> this educated woman with a "BhP", and 28 other letters after her name,
>> that she had it all wrong, she didn't know how to ride, and did she
>> think that elite track pursuiters had a problem gettting their HR up on
>> a flat velodrome :p
>>
>> If someone can't get a rise out of their ticker on a flat road, it's
>> either a technique or motivation problem :D
>>
>> --
>> 531Aussie

> I'd be tempted to agree with you there. But it could also be a leg
> strength / neural firing vs cardio fitness thing. I ran a half mara on
> Sunday, haven't trained for it. Heart rate was nice'n'low the entire
> time but my legs just aren't strong enough to do what they want to or
> used to. When I was training for Ironman, same thing on the bike, and I
> had lots of people assess technique - it was just that my heart was a
> lot fitter than my legs were - cardio endurance kicked butt over
> strength endurance.
>
> By the way, ya can't trust them edumucated types.
>
> Tam <insert random letters here>

Dunno about r%nning, but as far as cycling goes, isn't that where you drop a
gear and spin faster? Ease the legs a little and let the cardiovascular
system take up the slack? Or am I barking up entirely the wrong tree?