Tuesday night Beach Rd ride in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by 531Aussie, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. 531Aussie

    531Aussie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Messages:
    12,606
    Anyone doing it?

    It's getting far too big and far too dangerous, with another stack tonight.

    The growing size of the group, the "peakish" hour time-slot, being in the dark, and the varying abilities of the riders has made the ride very dangerous -- definitely more dangerous than racing.

    I reckon something should be done, such as (perhaps) splitting the group when they get down to Mordy....or whatever.

    Any suggestions?

    It used to be the "Fitzroy Cycles Ride", but there seems to be heaps of Richmond Cyclery guys down there, so maybe some of them can take charge and try to curb the "mayhem" :p

    Tags:

  2. 531Aussie wrote:
    > Anyone doing it?
    >
    > It's getting far too big and far too dangerous, with another stack
    > tonight.
    >
    > The growing size of the group, the "peakish" hour time-slot, being in
    > the dark, and the varying abilities of the riders has made the ride
    > very dangerous -- definitely more dangerous than racing.
    >
    > I reckon something should be done, such as (perhaps) splitting the
    > group when they get down to Mordy....or whatever.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > It used to be the "Fitzroy Cycles Ride", but there seems to be heaps

    of
    > Richmond Cyclery guys down there, so maybe some of them can take

    charge
    > and try to curb the "mayhem" :p

    IMO opinion, it seems most of the large Beach Rd rides have become more
    dangerous over the last 18 months. The numbers have swelled and too
    many guys are head down arse up just hanging on. My regular ride, the
    5.45 am North Road ride has become a complete shambles, no one seems to
    roll turns anymore, rather certain guys drive the bunch as hard as
    possible for a km or so then slow up which causes massive yo-yoing
    through the lines. It seems to have more and more A graders coming
    down from the 6.00 am bunch and they seem to have brought their nasty
    habits with them, which was the original reason why the 5.45 am bunch
    formed. Now it seems most of the guys who started the 5.45 ride have
    disappeared. I guess it goes hand in hand with the increase in the
    popularity of cycling and may just be the nature of it now ?

  3. 531Aussie

    531Aussie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Messages:
    12,606
    I couldn't have put it better had I written 2 pages! :D

    I only do them now when the weather's slightly dodgey and I know the numbers will be right down.

    Any suggestions on what can be done?

    I don't suppose it could be graded.

  4. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Start your own ride somewhere close to home, publish the details on the net (speed, etiquette, sprints, etc.).

    Build it and they will come......

  5. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "531Aussie" wrote in message
    > Any suggestions on what can be done?
    >
    > I don't suppose it could be graded.

    Maybe find an alternate group and head inland for some 'real' cycling in the
    hills? I did a short Beach Rd stint on the weekend, only good part was
    the head wind..

    :ducks and covers:

    cheers,
    GPL

  6. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Point noted. Think I'll stick to my Yarra Blvd Bog Lap. Familiar & closer to home. :p

  7. 531Aussie

    531Aussie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Messages:
    12,606
    That reminds me of a bazar conversation I had when I was at uni, with a physiology lecturer who was also a recreational rider.

    She said she could not get her HR above 140 riding on flat ground!!

    So there I was, this big fat Beach Rd bogan B grade grinder, telling this educated woman with a "BhP", and 28 other letters after her name, that she had it all wrong, she didn't know how to ride, and did she think that elite track pursuiters had a problem gettting their HR up on a flat velodrome :p

    If someone can't get a rise out of their ticker on a flat road, it's either a technique or motivation problem :D

  8. 531Aussie

    531Aussie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Messages:
    12,606
    I like the isolation of that road, and rode it many times when I was commuting from Bentleigh to La Trobe Uni, but it has GOTTA BE THE CRAPPEST BUMPY ROAD IN MELBOURNE!! :p

    I had to let my tyres down to 40psi just to stop the fillings rattling out of my mouth......dislodged my sinus congestion, though :)

  9. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    I'll agree with that, but the Rubino's handle the surface beautifully.

    Visualise of the boulevard differently then, fantasise its really Belgian pave' with cheering, adoring crowds.....

  10. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    531Aussie wrote:

    > GPLama Wrote:
    > > I did a short Beach Rd stint on the weekend, only good part was the head
    > > wind..

    > That reminds me of a bazar conversation I had when I was at uni, with a
    > physiology lecturer who was also a recreational rider.
    >
    > She said she could not get her HR above 140 riding on flat ground!!
    >
    > So there I was, this big fat Beach Rd bogan B grade grinder, telling
    > this educated woman with a "BhP", and 28 other letters after her name,
    > that she had it all wrong, she didn't know how to ride, and did she
    > think that elite track pursuiters had a problem gettting their HR up on
    > a flat velodrome :p
    >
    > If someone can't get a rise out of their ticker on a flat road, it's
    > either a technique or motivation problem :D
    >
    > --
    > 531Aussie

    I'd be tempted to agree with you there. But it could also be a leg
    strength / neural firing vs cardio fitness thing. I ran a half mara on
    Sunday, haven't trained for it. Heart rate was nice'n'low the entire
    time but my legs just aren't strong enough to do what they want to or
    used to. When I was training for Ironman, same thing on the bike, and I
    had lots of people assess technique - it was just that my heart was a
    lot fitter than my legs were - cardio endurance kicked butt over
    strength endurance.

    By the way, ya can't trust them edumucated types.

    Tam <insert random letters here>

  11. On 2005-04-27, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Tam <insert random letters here>

    That would be "B.U., L.Ls, H.It, Te.R"? ;)

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    get a group together and. shock horror!, go_in_a_different_direction!!!

    crazy concept but it might just catch on. 'Alpine tour de Suburbs' thursday's is a great example. This is a tuff ride (having only done it once) but a beauty. 'Bitch Rd' is just like being on a production line IMHO

  13. 531Aussie

    531Aussie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Messages:
    12,606
    This is probably my favourite ride because it's heaps safer, as the hard sections are up hills at only 20 to 30kmh. It's just that it's a bit shitty to do in winter because it gets pretty cold out there, so I don't like the stopping and starting when it's 9 degrees :)

  14. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    This has inspired me. I think we should set up a new ride early mornings (say 6:00am) that does a similar route to the Alpine Tour of the burbs. Meet somewhere in North Balwyn and start with the Doncaster Rd hill. We'll stop for straglers in places similar to the Alpine Tour of the burbs ride as well. I reckon this could catch on.

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

    greythorn shops starting point? (Doncaster Rd).
    Up to shoppingtown, then???
    I cant clearly remember the route of the 'suburbs-alpine'.
    Gotta include Burgundy St (bwahahahahahahahahah) and then perhaps the tailend of the BR ride to the Kew boulevard, with a return lap of that (then i might bail to CBD-work) or extra laps or Chandler and right UP Princes St hill (similar to Burgundy) and back left to Kilby and Doncaster Rd

    Hangon. what am i doing? these are hills!?!?!?!?
    Oh well, what wont kill me shall make me stronger, right?
    (Sunday must have made me REAL strong then :rolleyes: )

    You others probably know this Donc/Templestowe area far better than me, so over to you...

  16. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "flyingdutch" wrote in message...

    > You others probably know this Donc/Templestowe area far better than me,
    > so over to you...

    6am doesn't exist.. you guys are attempting to create more 'day' in a single
    day..

    I wouldn't mind a mid week 'tour de something' during daylight.. oh wait..
    6am != daylight... What is teh suckth is that the top of Doncaster hill is
    3/4 of the way to work for me.. then again, an extra loop of Doncaster Rd
    hill might be enough to wake me up at that time of the day..

    cheers,
    GPL

  17. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    I'd say do it from the North Balwyn junction where Safeway is. Doncaster Rd up to Shoppingtown. Left one Williamsons Rd. Keep going past Aquarena down past Lynwood Pde and turn left into Serpells Rd. Then left again onto Foote St. Go down Foote St and turn left at High St. Then right onto Manningham Rd. The onto Burgundy St. Down upper Heidelberg Rd and then as you say basically the BR ride and onto the Yarra Blvd. If we're early enough we can stop for coffee (on Bridge Rd) before heading into our respective work places.

    Sounds like a plan. What day? I'd prefer Wednesday mornings.

  18. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    jazmo wrote:

    > I'd say do it from the North Balwyn junction where Safeway is.
    > Doncaster Rd up to Shoppingtown. Left one Williamsons Rd. Keep going
    > past Aquarena down past Lynwood Pde and turn left into Serpells Rd.
    > Then left again onto Foote St. Go down Foote St and turn left at High
    > St. Then right onto Manningham Rd. The onto Burgundy St. Down upper
    > Heidelberg Rd and then as you say basically the BR ride and onto the
    > Yarra Blvd. If we're early enough we can stop for coffee (on Bridge Rd)
    > before heading into our respective work places.
    >
    > Sounds like a plan. What day? I'd prefer Wednesday mornings.

    You had me until the ride on to work bit. There's no way I'm doing that
    ride on the MTB with full panniers.

    DaveB

  19. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    Sounds like a pretty cool ride, be interested to give it a go seen as I dont ride much out that way and have no idea where I could be going, I'll look out for a post about it.

  20. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > 531Aussie wrote:
    >>
    >> GPLama Wrote:
    >> > I did a short Beach Rd stint on the weekend, only good part was the
    >> > head
    >> > wind..

    >> That reminds me of a bazar conversation I had when I was at uni, with a
    >> physiology lecturer who was also a recreational rider.
    >>
    >> She said she could not get her HR above 140 riding on flat ground!!
    >>
    >> So there I was, this big fat Beach Rd bogan B grade grinder, telling
    >> this educated woman with a "BhP", and 28 other letters after her name,
    >> that she had it all wrong, she didn't know how to ride, and did she
    >> think that elite track pursuiters had a problem gettting their HR up on
    >> a flat velodrome :p
    >>
    >> If someone can't get a rise out of their ticker on a flat road, it's
    >> either a technique or motivation problem :D
    >>
    >> --
    >> 531Aussie

    > I'd be tempted to agree with you there. But it could also be a leg
    > strength / neural firing vs cardio fitness thing. I ran a half mara on
    > Sunday, haven't trained for it. Heart rate was nice'n'low the entire
    > time but my legs just aren't strong enough to do what they want to or
    > used to. When I was training for Ironman, same thing on the bike, and I
    > had lots of people assess technique - it was just that my heart was a
    > lot fitter than my legs were - cardio endurance kicked butt over
    > strength endurance.
    >
    > By the way, ya can't trust them edumucated types.
    >
    > Tam <insert random letters here>

    Dunno about r%nning, but as far as cycling goes, isn't that where you drop a
    gear and spin faster? Ease the legs a little and let the cardiovascular
    system take up the slack? Or am I barking up entirely the wrong tree?