Tuffo Tubular-Clinchers

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by margolis1234, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. margolis1234

    margolis1234 Guest

    I bought a set of tubeless tires 700x19cc with a carbon belt tread made by TUFFO Corp. I can pump
    this clincher to 175 PSI, use no tube, and lose no air. They also make other tires for other sizes
    including ATB. You can go to www.tuffo.com for more info and you can order them from Clive de Sousa
    at http://www.glorycycles.com/tufo.html . I have put on about 1000 miles and the tires show almost
    no wear too! They also weigh less than a typical race tire w/ tube combo. I use an air compressor to
    pump them up to 175 PSI. Has anyone else experienced these tires too?

    ---Robert Margolis

    Tags:

  2. Bruce Frech

    Bruce Frech Guest

    Your roads must be incredibly smooth to use that much pressure. Around here I'd be more in the air
    then on the ground with that kind of pressure.

    > I bought a set of tubeless tires 700x19cc with a carbon belt tread made by TUFFO Corp. I can pump
    > this clincher to 175 PSI, use no tube, and lose no air. They also make other tires for other sizes
    > including ATB. You can go to www.tuffo.com for more info and you can order them from Clive de
    > Sousa at http://www.glorycycles.com/tufo.html . I have put on about 1000 miles and the tires show
    > almost no wear too! They also weigh less than a typical race tire w/ tube combo. I use an air
    > compressor to pump them up
    > 175 PSI. Has anyone else experienced these tires too?
    >
    > ---Robert Margolis

  3. Rsd

    Rsd Guest

    This is more of an advertisement than a question.

    R. Daniels

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 03:58:18 GMT, "Bruce Frech" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Your roads must be incredibly smooth to use that much pressure. Around here I'd be more in the air
    >then on the ground with that kind of pressure.
    >

    ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I bought a set of tubeless tires 700x19cc with a carbon belt tread made by TUFFO Corp. I can pump
    >> this clincher to 175 PSI, use no tube, and lose no air. They also make other tires for other
    >> sizes including ATB. You can go to www.tuffo.com for more info and you can order them from Clive
    >> de Sousa at http://www.glorycycles.com/tufo.html . I have put on about 1000 miles and the tires
    >> show almost no wear too! They also weigh less than a typical race tire w/ tube combo. I use an
    >> air compressor to pump them up
    >> 175 PSI. Has anyone else experienced these tires too?
    >>
    >> ---Robert Margolis

  4. margolis1234

    margolis1234 Guest

    Actually the roads are average with plenty of debre. The tires have a carbon belt,plus, if you
    choose you can even add an anti-flat chemical that makes these tires bullet proof! I would not
    recommend using a gun to check out whether you can pop that tire! I must admit, it took me about 1-
    1/2 hours to figure out how to get the first tire on my rim. It was so difficult! The second one
    went on in about 2 minutes. I purchased for $38 each. I am riding them on Velomax rims. These rims
    have never gone out of true, yet I have driven it on all sorts of bad roads, pot holes etc. --Robert

    "Bruce Frech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Your roads must be incredibly smooth to use that much pressure. Around
    here
    > I'd be more in the air then on the ground with that kind of pressure.

    > > I bought a set of tubeless tires 700x19cc with a carbon belt tread made
    by
    > > TUFFO Corp. I can pump this clincher to 175 PSI, use no tube, and lose
    no
    > > air. They also make other tires for other sizes including ATB. You can go to www.tuffo.com for
    > > more info and you can order them from Clive
    de
    > > Sousa at http://www.glorycycles.com/tufo.html . I have put on about 1000 miles and the tires
    > > show almost no wear too! They also weigh less than a typical race tire w/ tube combo. I use an
    > > air compressor to pump them
    up
    > > 175 PSI. Has anyone else experienced these tires too?
    > >
    > > ---Robert Margolis

  5. margolis1234

    margolis1234 Guest

    I am not advertising. I have nothing to gain by recommending what works best for me. I do a lot of
    riding, mostly 50-100 mile day trips. For a very long time, I was getting to many flats. I had tried
    everything from different tire, tube, and rim strip combinations, yet I would average 1-2 flats
    every 100 miles. I remember one time getting 5 flats within 50 miles. That was the final straw, I
    could no longer go out riding and enjoy biking. So, I would have appreciated hearing from a fellow
    biker what works or does not.

    Eventually, it was a fellow biker, who told me about Tufo Tires and another biker, David Anthony,
    who recommended the Velomax wheels. In fact there are many stories about a David, since he towed a
    trailer weighing over 1700 lbs. from Key West, FL to Ancorage, Alaska, as a fund raiser. He bent up
    a bunch of rims along the way until he tried out Velomax wheels. He has logged more than 20,000
    miles, yet his Velomax wheels never went out of true, nor did he pop a spoke! You can read this guys
    crazy story at http://www.davidmichaelanthony.com/

    "RSD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > This is more of an advertisement than a question.
    >
    > R. Daniels
    >

    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 03:58:18 GMT, "Bruce Frech" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Your roads must be incredibly smooth to use that much pressure. Around
    here
    > >I'd be more in the air then on the ground with that kind of pressure.
    > >

    > ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> I bought a set of tubeless tires 700x19cc with a carbon belt tread made
    by
    > >> TUFFO Corp. I can pump this clincher to 175 PSI, use no tube, and lose
    no
    > >> air. They also make other tires for other sizes including ATB. You can go to www.tuffo.com for
    > >> more info and you can order them from Clive
    de
    > >> Sousa at http://www.glorycycles.com/tufo.html . I have put on about
    1000
    > >> miles and the tires show almost no wear too! They also weigh less than
    > >> typical race tire w/ tube combo. I use an air compressor to pump them
    up
    > >> 175 PSI. Has anyone else experienced these tires too?
    > >>
    > >> ---Robert Margolis

  6. Bruce Frech

    Bruce Frech Guest

    1-2 flats per 100 miles!!! What were the causes of your flats? Pinch flats or punctures from sharp
    objects or ?? How much do you weigh? I usually get 1-2,000 miles between flats, sometimes wearing
    out the tread before the tube fails. How are these tires solving your problem? Is it the extremely
    high pressure?

    Bruce

    > I am not advertising. I have nothing to gain by recommending what works best for me. I do a lot of
    > riding, mostly 50-100 mile day trips. For a very long time, I was getting to many flats. I had
    > tried everything from different tire, tube, and rim strip combinations, yet I would average 1-2
    > flats every 100 miles. I remember one time getting 5 flats within 50
    miles.
    > That was the final straw, I could no longer go out riding and enjoy
    biking.
    > So, I would have appreciated hearing from a fellow biker what works or does not.

  7. margolis1234

    margolis1234 Guest

  8. margolis1234

    margolis1234 Guest

    The tubes often had a pinch hole made on the inside of the tube between the tube and the wheel.
    Other times it was on the outside caused by sharpobjects. I experimented with several tire, tube,
    and rim tape combos. I eventually chalked it up to be a bad set of wheels and bad roads. When I
    switched over to Velomax wheels, my problems with tire pinches when away and were resolved for the
    most part. However, I like to ride on racing tires because I like the lighter weight, thinner, high
    pressure, and less rolling resistance tires. I weigh 190lbs. Unfortunately, this can be bad news if
    road conditions are not ideal. In other words, if the roads have potholes, stones, and other sharp
    objects, the chances of a flat are much more likely. Having said that, the Tuffo Hi-Carbon tires are
    made for racing,can be inflated to 175psi, have a very low rolling resistance, and due to the way
    they are constructed are much less likely to get punctures. Also, the weight of 335 grams is not too
    much considering there is no tube and no rim tape being used on the clincher rims. The outside width
    is 22mm but the inside which is what is more comonly used is 19mm. C Hi-Composite Carbon Application
    of composite puncture proof ply and high composite carbon tread compound made possible to use
    thinner tread and still maintain high mileage. Thinner tread also lowers rolling resistance while
    the tire is maintaining ideal shock absorption properties and high puncture resistance.

    Racing / Training puncture proof ply activated silica tread compoundsize 28" width 22 mm weight 335
    g pressure 8-12 bar (115-175 p.s.i.) TPI count 120 rim size 28" 700 C E.T.R.T.O. 622×(13-15) mm

    "Bruce Frech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 1-2 flats per 100 miles!!! What were the causes of your flats? Pinch
    flats
    > or punctures from sharp objects or ?? How much do you weigh? I usually
    get
    > 1-2,000 miles between flats, sometimes wearing out the tread before the
    tube
    > fails. How are these tires solving your problem? Is it the extremely high pressure?
    >
    > Bruce

    > > I am not advertising. I have nothing to gain by recommending what works best for me. I do a lot
    > > of riding, mostly 50-100 mile day trips. For a very long time, I was getting to many flats. I
    > > had tried everything
    from
    > > different tire, tube, and rim strip combinations, yet I would average
    1-2
    > > flats every 100 miles. I remember one time getting 5 flats within 50
    > miles.
    > > That was the final straw, I could no longer go out riding and enjoy
    > biking.
    > > So, I would have appreciated hearing from a fellow biker what works or does not.

  9. margolis1234

    margolis1234 Guest

    More info on Tufo tubular clinchers from their web site. TUFO PRODUCT LINE Our main products are
    tubular tires and tubular tires for clincher rims (tubular clinchers). Construction of both types is
    essentially the same, consisting of closed tubular toroid. Difference is only in the installation of
    the tire on the rim.

    The base tape is made of cotton. It absorbs the glue evenly, resulting in optimal bond between the
    rim and the tire. Tread - produced either with rubber compound of activated silica, silica or
    carbon black (specified for each model). Protective rubber ply - located underneath the tread,
    indicates also tire wear and higher possibility of punctures when showing through the tread (only
    in specified models). Puncture proof ply - made of rubber cord composite with the cord angle very
    close to the direction of the tire circumference, also decreases rolling resistance and increases
    power transfer (only in specified models). The carcass plies are overlapped and joined underneath
    the tread, creating increased TPI (treads per inch) value and better tire puncture resistance. The
    carcass consists of two layers of rubber cord composite with reverse bearing cord orientation in
    each layer, joined with natural rubber matrix strengthened with silica. The carcass TPI varies
    from 60 to 210 for different tire models. Inside airtight layer is made of a special butyl-rubber
    compound. Very low air permeability of this layer means long intervals between tire inflations.
    Solid bond between the airtight layer and the tire carcass means lower rolling resistance. The
    bead profile reinforcement of tubular clincher tires provides easy tire installation and prevents
    the tire from unseating in extreme situations. The bead profile itself copies the shape of the rim
    and after inflation provides a perfect joint between them. Also protects the rim lips from damage.
    HOW DOES THE TUBULAR CLINCHER WORK? When inflated, the tubular clincher, in the same way as a
    tubular tire, is pressed towards the rim. Simultaneously, the bead blocks of the profiled rubber
    band spread out embedding on the rim shoulders and eliminating any rotation of the tire against
    the rim as well as possibility of the tire unseating. The bottom profiled bead band does not
    function only as a filling in the area between the rim and the tire but also plays an active role.
    As the tire is inflated, the band sides literally "bite" into the rim shoulders.

    This is the major difference from all previous unsuccessful experiments of other tire manufacturers,
    where the bottom rubber band was in fact only a passive filling between the rim and the tire.

    Tubular clincher mounted on a rim before inflation. Tubular clincher after inflation.

    Benefits of our tubular clincher tires:
    a.. high inflation pressures - up to 15 bars (220 psi) without any damage to the rim walls, even
    in a case when the rim manufacturer specifies lower inflation pressures (the pressure is
    contained inside the tire and does not affect the rim walls)
    b.. same riding quality as with tubular tires
    c.. safe handling in case of punctures, the stability of a rider is not affected
    d.. in case of emergency, the tire can be ridden flat
    e.. the fastest and easiest installation and dismantling without any tools

  10. tufos rock. i had a very light pair -230 grams tubies, ,
    rode the death ride, no flats, only drawback i broke the
    valve stem and they are one year only- the next year they
    are all crusty.