Tuffo Tubular-Clinchers

margolis1234

Guest
I bought a set of tubeless tires 700x19cc with a carbon belt tread made by TUFFO Corp. I can pump
this clincher to 175 PSI, use no tube, and lose no air. They also make other tires for other sizes
including ATB. You can go to www.tuffo.com for more info and you can order them from Clive de Sousa
at http://www.glorycycles.com/tufo.html . I have put on about 1000 miles and the tires show almost
no wear too! They also weigh less than a typical race tire w/ tube combo. I use an air compressor to
pump them up to 175 PSI. Has anyone else experienced these tires too?

---Robert Margolis

Your roads must be incredibly smooth to use that much pressure. Around here I'd be more in the air
then on the ground with that kind of pressure.

> I bought a set of tubeless tires 700x19cc with a carbon belt tread made by TUFFO Corp. I can pump
> this clincher to 175 PSI, use no tube, and lose no air. They also make other tires for other sizes
> including ATB. You can go to www.tuffo.com for more info and you can order them from Clive de
> Sousa at http://www.glorycycles.com/tufo.html . I have put on about 1000 miles and the tires show
> almost no wear too! They also weigh less than a typical race tire w/ tube combo. I use an air
> compressor to pump them up
> 175 PSI. Has anyone else experienced these tires too?
>
> ---Robert Margolis

This is more of an advertisement than a question.

R. Daniels

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 03:58:18 GMT, "Bruce Frech" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Your roads must be incredibly smooth to use that much pressure. Around here I'd be more in the air
>then on the ground with that kind of pressure.
>

><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I bought a set of tubeless tires 700x19cc with a carbon belt tread made by TUFFO Corp. I can pump
>> this clincher to 175 PSI, use no tube, and lose no air. They also make other tires for other
>> sizes including ATB. You can go to www.tuffo.com for more info and you can order them from Clive
>> de Sousa at http://www.glorycycles.com/tufo.html . I have put on about 1000 miles and the tires
>> show almost no wear too! They also weigh less than a typical race tire w/ tube combo. I use an
>> air compressor to pump them up
>> 175 PSI. Has anyone else experienced these tires too?
>>
>> ---Robert Margolis

Actually the roads are average with plenty of debre. The tires have a carbon belt,plus, if you
choose you can even add an anti-flat chemical that makes these tires bullet proof! I would not
recommend using a gun to check out whether you can pop that tire! I must admit, it took me about 1-
1/2 hours to figure out how to get the first tire on my rim. It was so difficult! The second one
went on in about 2 minutes. I purchased for $38 each. I am riding them on Velomax rims. These rims
have never gone out of true, yet I have driven it on all sorts of bad roads, pot holes etc. --Robert

"Bruce Frech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Your roads must be incredibly smooth to use that much pressure. Around
here
> I'd be more in the air then on the ground with that kind of pressure.

> > I bought a set of tubeless tires 700x19cc with a carbon belt tread made
by
> > TUFFO Corp. I can pump this clincher to 175 PSI, use no tube, and lose
no
> > air. They also make other tires for other sizes including ATB. You can go to www.tuffo.com for
> > more info and you can order them from Clive
de
> > Sousa at http://www.glorycycles.com/tufo.html . I have put on about 1000 miles and the tires
> > show almost no wear too! They also weigh less than a typical race tire w/ tube combo. I use an
> > air compressor to pump them
up
> > 175 PSI. Has anyone else experienced these tires too?
> >
> > ---Robert Margolis

I am not advertising. I have nothing to gain by recommending what works best for me. I do a lot of
riding, mostly 50-100 mile day trips. For a very long time, I was getting to many flats. I had tried
everything from different tire, tube, and rim strip combinations, yet I would average 1-2 flats
every 100 miles. I remember one time getting 5 flats within 50 miles. That was the final straw, I
could no longer go out riding and enjoy biking. So, I would have appreciated hearing from a fellow
biker what works or does not.

Eventually, it was a fellow biker, who told me about Tufo Tires and another biker, David Anthony,
who recommended the Velomax wheels. In fact there are many stories about a David, since he towed a
trailer weighing over 1700 lbs. from Key West, FL to Ancorage, Alaska, as a fund raiser. He bent up
a bunch of rims along the way until he tried out Velomax wheels. He has logged more than 20,000
miles, yet his Velomax wheels never went out of true, nor did he pop a spoke! You can read this guys
crazy story at http://www.davidmichaelanthony.com/

"RSD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> This is more of an advertisement than a question.
>
> R. Daniels
>

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 03:58:18 GMT, "Bruce Frech" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Your roads must be incredibly smooth to use that much pressure. Around
here
> >I'd be more in the air then on the ground with that kind of pressure.
> >

> ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> I bought a set of tubeless tires 700x19cc with a carbon belt tread made
by
> >> TUFFO Corp. I can pump this clincher to 175 PSI, use no tube, and lose
no
> >> air. They also make other tires for other sizes including ATB. You can go to www.tuffo.com for
> >> more info and you can order them from Clive
de
> >> Sousa at http://www.glorycycles.com/tufo.html . I have put on about
1000
> >> miles and the tires show almost no wear too! They also weigh less than
> >> typical race tire w/ tube combo. I use an air compressor to pump them
up
> >> 175 PSI. Has anyone else experienced these tires too?
> >>
> >> ---Robert Margolis

1-2 flats per 100 miles!!! What were the causes of your flats? Pinch flats or punctures from sharp
objects or ?? How much do you weigh? I usually get 1-2,000 miles between flats, sometimes wearing
out the tread before the tube fails. How are these tires solving your problem? Is it the extremely
high pressure?

Bruce

> I am not advertising. I have nothing to gain by recommending what works best for me. I do a lot of
> riding, mostly 50-100 mile day trips. For a very long time, I was getting to many flats. I had
> tried everything from different tire, tube, and rim strip combinations, yet I would average 1-2
> flats every 100 miles. I remember one time getting 5 flats within 50
miles.
> That was the final straw, I could no longer go out riding and enjoy
biking.
> So, I would have appreciated hearing from a fellow biker what works or does not.

The tubes often had a pinch hole made on the inside of the tube between the tube and the wheel.
Other times it was on the outside caused by sharpobjects. I experimented with several tire, tube,
and rim tape combos. I eventually chalked it up to be a bad set of wheels and bad roads. When I
switched over to Velomax wheels, my problems with tire pinches when away and were resolved for the
most part. However, I like to ride on racing tires because I like the lighter weight, thinner, high
pressure, and less rolling resistance tires. I weigh 190lbs. Unfortunately, this can be bad news if
road conditions are not ideal. In other words, if the roads have potholes, stones, and other sharp
objects, the chances of a flat are much more likely. Having said that, the Tuffo Hi-Carbon tires are
made for racing,can be inflated to 175psi, have a very low rolling resistance, and due to the way
they are constructed are much less likely to get punctures. Also, the weight of 335 grams is not too
much considering there is no tube and no rim tape being used on the clincher rims. The outside width
is 22mm but the inside which is what is more comonly used is 19mm. C Hi-Composite Carbon Application
of composite puncture proof ply and high composite carbon tread compound made possible to use
thinner tread and still maintain high mileage. Thinner tread also lowers rolling resistance while
the tire is maintaining ideal shock absorption properties and high puncture resistance.

Racing / Training puncture proof ply activated silica tread compoundsize 28" width 22 mm weight 335
g pressure 8-12 bar (115-175 p.s.i.) TPI count 120 rim size 28" 700 C E.T.R.T.O. 622×(13-15) mm

"Bruce Frech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 1-2 flats per 100 miles!!! What were the causes of your flats? Pinch
flats
> or punctures from sharp objects or ?? How much do you weigh? I usually
get
> 1-2,000 miles between flats, sometimes wearing out the tread before the
tube
> fails. How are these tires solving your problem? Is it the extremely high pressure?
>
> Bruce

> > I am not advertising. I have nothing to gain by recommending what works best for me. I do a lot
> > of riding, mostly 50-100 mile day trips. For a very long time, I was getting to many flats. I
> > had tried everything
from
> > different tire, tube, and rim strip combinations, yet I would average
1-2
> > flats every 100 miles. I remember one time getting 5 flats within 50
> miles.
> > That was the final straw, I could no longer go out riding and enjoy
> biking.
> > So, I would have appreciated hearing from a fellow biker what works or does not.

More info on Tufo tubular clinchers from their web site. TUFO PRODUCT LINE Our main products are
tubular tires and tubular tires for clincher rims (tubular clinchers). Construction of both types is
essentially the same, consisting of closed tubular toroid. Difference is only in the installation of
the tire on the rim.

The base tape is made of cotton. It absorbs the glue evenly, resulting in optimal bond between the
rim and the tire. Tread - produced either with rubber compound of activated silica, silica or
carbon black (specified for each model). Protective rubber ply - located underneath the tread,
indicates also tire wear and higher possibility of punctures when showing through the tread (only
in specified models). Puncture proof ply - made of rubber cord composite with the cord angle very
close to the direction of the tire circumference, also decreases rolling resistance and increases
power transfer (only in specified models). The carcass plies are overlapped and joined underneath
the tread, creating increased TPI (treads per inch) value and better tire puncture resistance. The
carcass consists of two layers of rubber cord composite with reverse bearing cord orientation in
each layer, joined with natural rubber matrix strengthened with silica. The carcass TPI varies
from 60 to 210 for different tire models. Inside airtight layer is made of a special butyl-rubber
compound. Very low air permeability of this layer means long intervals between tire inflations.
Solid bond between the airtight layer and the tire carcass means lower rolling resistance. The
bead profile reinforcement of tubular clincher tires provides easy tire installation and prevents
the tire from unseating in extreme situations. The bead profile itself copies the shape of the rim
and after inflation provides a perfect joint between them. Also protects the rim lips from damage.
HOW DOES THE TUBULAR CLINCHER WORK? When inflated, the tubular clincher, in the same way as a
tubular tire, is pressed towards the rim. Simultaneously, the bead blocks of the profiled rubber
band spread out embedding on the rim shoulders and eliminating any rotation of the tire against
the rim as well as possibility of the tire unseating. The bottom profiled bead band does not
function only as a filling in the area between the rim and the tire but also plays an active role.
As the tire is inflated, the band sides literally "bite" into the rim shoulders.

This is the major difference from all previous unsuccessful experiments of other tire manufacturers,
where the bottom rubber band was in fact only a passive filling between the rim and the tire.

Tubular clincher mounted on a rim before inflation. Tubular clincher after inflation.

Benefits of our tubular clincher tires:
a.. high inflation pressures - up to 15 bars (220 psi) without any damage to the rim walls, even
in a case when the rim manufacturer specifies lower inflation pressures (the pressure is
contained inside the tire and does not affect the rim walls)
b.. same riding quality as with tubular tires
c.. safe handling in case of punctures, the stability of a rider is not affected
d.. in case of emergency, the tire can be ridden flat
e.. the fastest and easiest installation and dismantling without any tools

tufos rock. i had a very light pair -230 grams tubies, ,
rode the death ride, no flats, only drawback i broke the
valve stem and they are one year only- the next year they
are all crusty.