Tufo CycloX tubular tires... or, should I use these hybrid tubies ?

Bob

Guest
Tufo seems to have most of the "reasonably" priced cyclo cross tubies.
But, I've never used these hybrid "nothing to sew" sewups. Being a
traditionalist it just seems "wrong". I'd be riding on the street and
using the cyclo tires to get more traction in damp and mucky
weather... and occasionally off road.

So, how good are these tubeless tubies? I'm not racing, durability is
more the issue for me. What happens after you put the "sealent" in
these to plug a leak? Is that a one shot deal so you get to plug the
first leak but none after that? Or does it become a self sealing tire
after that (in which case adding a tube of sealant before even getting
a flat seems like the best idea).

Send me your thoughts, and opinions, but whatever you do, don't
mention clinchers in this thread :)

Thanks,

I don't think cxtires are going to help all that much on pavement other
than offer a bit more float. Why not just get some cheap and sturdy
training tubies and put some of that Tufo sealant in those? If indeed
you're actually going to go off road as opposed to musing about it,
then the Tufos could be nice.

I don't know of anyone using the sealant, but if you take Tufos word
for it, it's good for as many small cuts and punctures as you're able
to get. The maximum damage it can seal is something like 4mm.

I used Tufo tires for awhile - got alot of use out of their Elite and
Diamond CX tires. However, a couple of experiences with their road
tires ended the flirtation. I had a set of the HiCarbon
tubular/clinchers; rolled great, nice traction and wear. However, the
sealant failed to hold on a puncture approximately 5 mm. (rear tire).
Subsequently, the front tire got a nice 10mm cut, and that was a goner
as well. Replaced them with vittoria EVO CX's and have had no problems
since. Also had a set of S33 tubies. They started out great, but soon
the tread wore off so it had a "square" or flat contact patch. The
tires had such a high rolling resistance that I was constantly checking
to see whether my brakes were rubbing. Replaced them with Vittoria EVO
Pave tubies; no problems since. Tufo sealant does work, on smaller
punctures; the Extreme gluing tape also makes tubies easy to mount, and
the stuff really does stick!
The Tufo CX tires are the better of the lot, though. It's just hard to
carry a spare, unless you go retro and wrap them around your shoulders.

Bob wrote:
> Tufo seems to have most of the "reasonably" priced cyclo cross tubies.
> But, I've never used these hybrid "nothing to sew" sewups. Being a
> traditionalist it just seems "wrong". I'd be riding on the street and
> using the cyclo tires to get more traction in damp and mucky
> weather... and occasionally off road.
>
> So, how good are these tubeless tubies? I'm not racing, durability is
> more the issue for me. What happens after you put the "sealent" in
> these to plug a leak? Is that a one shot deal so you get to plug the
> first leak but none after that? Or does it become a self sealing tire
> after that (in which case adding a tube of sealant before even getting
> a flat seems like the best idea).
>
> Send me your thoughts, and opinions, but whatever you do, don't
> mention clinchers in this thread :)
>
> Thanks,

The goop in them does seem to plug goathead type punctures but I never
liked the idea of a tubular you couldn't repair. I think a more
traditional tubular, with a tube, AND the goop would be a good idea BUT
if you put a lot of goop inthere, it will prevent a patch from
sticking, when you try to repair it.