TUFO Sealant & clogged valves

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike Kennedy, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. Mike Kennedy

    Mike Kennedy Guest

    Well it appears that the Tufo sealant has clogged my valves and the rear tire will no longer hold
    air. Unfortunately the wheels that I have require valve extenders. Any way to clear out this mess
    without removing the tire? Any way to prevent this from happening in the future? There are too many
    goat heads around here to not use sealant.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    "Mike Kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well it appears that the Tufo sealant has clogged my valves and the rear tire will no longer hold
    > air. Unfortunately the wheels that I have require valve extenders. Any way to clear out this mess
    > without removing the tire? Any way to prevent this from happening in the future? There are too
    > many goat heads around here to not use sealant.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    Dear Mike,

    If I follow your description, you have a flat tire with a clogged valve capped with an extender.

    You might unscrew the extender, clean it out, clean what you can from the exposed original valve,
    re-attach it, and introduce it to Mr. Air Compressor at 125 psi, using whatever adaptor suits your
    evil purpose. I don't know about Tufo, so its design or sealant might be stubborn, but this method
    works like a charm for Slime-clogged Presta valves.

    While compressors offend pump purists, the machines are awfully convenient, surprisingly cheap, and
    much easier than floor pumps for lazy and careless people like me. So far, I've never met anyone who
    bought one and was willing to give it up.

    But I'd give up any tube/tire, sealant or not, that went flat, unless it can be patched. Pumped up
    again with nothing but sealant, it will likely let you down far from any compressor.

    Time to ride. Whoosh! Whoosh! Close enough to 120 psi for government work.

    Carl Fogel

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 10:52:33 -0800, "Mike Kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Well it appears that the Tufo sealant has clogged my valves and the rear tire will no longer
    > hold air. Unfortunately the wheels that I have require valve extenders. Any way to clear out
    > this mess without removing the tire?

    WD-40 might do the trick -- hold the valve open with a paper clip and spray away.

    Is it tough to remove the tire from your bike?

    >Any way to prevent this from happening in the future? There are too many goat heads around here to
    >not use sealant.

    You might consider moving to an area with less pagan goat-decapitation rituals...or at least lobby
    to have a dumpster put in for them. What do you suppose they do with the rest of the body? Sell it
    to portuguese butchers?

    --
    Rick "Enough hot air in that one to float Zion" Onanian

  4. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 10:52:33 -0800, "Mike Kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Well it appears that the Tufo sealant has clogged my valves and the rear tire will no longer
    > > hold air. Unfortunately the wheels that I have require valve extenders. Any way to clear out
    > > this mess without removing the tire?
    >
    > WD-40 might do the trick -- hold the valve open with a paper clip and spray away.
    >
    > Is it tough to remove the tire from your bike?
    >
    > >Any way to prevent this from happening in the future? There are too many goat heads around here
    > >to not use sealant.
    >
    > You might consider moving to an area with less pagan goat-decapitation rituals...or at least lobby
    > to have a dumpster put in for them. What do you suppose they do with the rest of the body? Sell it
    > to portuguese butchers?

    Dear Rick,

    Impossible to cap "pagan goat-decapitation rituals," so let's see, maybe Lear . . .

    How sharper than a serpent's tooth . . .

    Close, but not quite right. Maybe Coriolanus . . .

    Hence, old goat!

    No, not quite apropos. Ah, here we are:

    He jests at scars that never felt a wound. --Romeo & Juliet, 2.02.1

    Twenty-two wounds so far this year, to be exact. And this has been the gentlest year in a long time.

    Carl Fogel