Tufo sealant in non-Tufo tires

Dave

Guest
In the unlikely event that anyone was wondering...

Works great. Had a butyl-tubed sewup with an impossible-to-locate slow
leak. Squirted in about 10ml of the sealant, spun the wheel, inflated
to 130psi. Problem solved.

Dave wrote:
> In the unlikely event that anyone was wondering...
>
> Works great. Had a butyl-tubed sewup with an impossible-to-locate slow
> leak. Squirted in about 10ml of the sealant, spun the wheel, inflated
> to 130psi. Problem solved.

This morning, I go out to ride, knowing I had a slow leak in my
seemingly immortal Clement Criterium. I pump it up a little more than
usual thinking I might need the extra psi to finish my ride. Instead
leak goes from slow to fast. Almost give up my ride because time
constraints in the morning don't leave room for fixing a tire, riding,
and then getting to work on time (or fixing the tire last night, for
that matter). But I twist out the valve, dump in some Tufo sealant,
pump it up, and I'm on my way in just a few minutes, and I still have
my spare under the seat in reserve.

I think Tufo should try marketing their sealant in single dose shots
with a pointy tip that will fit inside the valve stem, along with a
tiny wrench that will fit the valve to remove it, to use on the rode
instead of replacing the tire. I think it works well enough that I
would try to repair a tire that way, and completely avoid the hassle
(like I did today) of re-gluing a tire when I replace the spare.

[email protected] wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> > In the unlikely event that anyone was wondering...
> >
> > Works great. Had a butyl-tubed sewup with an impossible-to-locate slow
> > leak. Squirted in about 10ml of the sealant, spun the wheel, inflated
> > to 130psi. Problem solved.

> This morning, I go out to ride, knowing I had a slow leak in my
> seemingly immortal Clement Criterium. I pump it up a little more than
> usual thinking I might need the extra psi to finish my ride. Instead
> leak goes from slow to fast. Almost give up my ride because time
> constraints in the morning don't leave room for fixing a tire, riding,
> and then getting to work on time (or fixing the tire last night, for
> that matter). But I twist out the valve, dump in some Tufo sealant,
> pump it up, and I'm on my way in just a few minutes, and I still have
> my spare under the seat in reserve.
>
> I think Tufo should try marketing their sealant in single dose shots
> with a pointy tip that will fit inside the valve stem, along with a
> tiny wrench that will fit the valve to remove it, to use on the rode
> instead of replacing the tire. I think it works well enough that I
> would try to repair a tire that way, and completely avoid the hassle
> (like I did today) of re-gluing a tire when I replace the spare.

Its an odd decision on Tufo's part not to market the sealant
independently of their tires. Their website gives the impression that
the sealant works only with Tufos.

I agree :)

[email protected] wrote in news:1127488689.242143.240470
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: