Tufo tape to Gluing

cheezhead

Mar 15, 2006
Hey all,

I'm switching my tubulars from using Tufo tape to the good-ole fashioned gluing method. I just can't be 100% comfortable taking fast corners using the Tufo tape. I know it's probably all just in my head, but being confident in your tires is important when you're screaming through a turn in a crit or bombing down a twisty downhill!

Anyway, I'm going to glue Tufo tires onto Reynolds carbon rims, using Vittoria Mastik'One glue. I only use my tubs for road races and TT's.

My question is concerning the Tufo tape residue left on the rim and tire. I know that when you peel off the tire, there's also a plasticky strip from the Tufo tape that you have to pull off from the rim. But then there's also some glue left on the rim and on the base tape of the tire. Should I remove all of this before applying the Vittoria glue, or is it perfectly safe to glue over it? I can clean off the rim with Acetone, but how should I clean the glue off the base tape if necessary?

Thanks for the help!

cheezhead said:
Hey all,

I'm switching my tubulars from using Tufo tape to the good-ole fashioned gluing method. I just can't be 100% comfortable taking fast corners using the Tufo tape. I know it's probably all just in my head, but being confident in your tires is important when you're screaming through a turn in a crit or bombing down a twisty downhill!

Anyway, I'm going to glue Tufo tires onto Reynolds carbon rims, using Vittoria Mastik'One glue. I only use my tubs for road races and TT's.

My question is concerning the Tufo tape residue left on the rim and tire. I know that when you peel off the tire, there's also a plasticky strip from the Tufo tape that you have to pull off from the rim. But then there's also some glue left on the rim and on the base tape of the tire. Should I remove all of this before applying the Vittoria glue, or is it perfectly safe to glue over it? I can clean off the rim with Acetone, but how should I clean the glue off the base tape if necessary?

Thanks for the help!

I would clean the glue from the rim. All of the recommendations that I have seen for tubular glue say that you should clean the rims when switching type of glue or if the glue on the rim has gotten hard and brittle. Part of the idea of not having to clean the rim when using the same brand of glue is that the solvent in the new glue softens up the old a little bit such that the new glue and the old glue mix together to make a new bond, but that different types of glue have different solvents and adhesives that may not be compatible.

I can't comment on the issue of what to do with the tire.