TUFO Tires - Pros & Cons ???

On Jun 8, 3:24 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What are the Pros & Cons for TUFO Road Tires?
>
> http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/tires/elite.php?seriesid=33

The "pro" is that they are called TUFO because they
are made out of TOFU. Therefore, if you have a breakdown
in the middle of nowhere and run the risk of starving
to death, you can eat the spare tire that you have
thoughtfully brought.

There are two cons:

1. The exceptional strength of TUFO tires makes them
effective for garrotting people who continue to crosspost
their tech questions that have nothing to do with racing
to both r.b.racing and r.b.tech.

2. You can't fix a flat in a TUFO "tubular-clincher" tire by
simply removing and replacing the tube, so these are the
one type of tire where you have to either use and trust
the sealant or actually carry a whole spare tire (and tube).

Ben
RBR Order of Assassins

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Jun 8, 4:24 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> What are the Pros & Cons for TUFO Road Tires?
>>
>> http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/tires/elite.php?seriesid=33
>>
>> Thanks

> The pro to the "Tufo company", is that they are very expensive, and
> they make a lot of $$$$. The con to you is that they cost a lot of
> money and they have no noticeable advantage over other tires.

And they are very difficult to repair. Unless you like a pint of liquid
floating around in your tires.

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 18:24:06 -0400, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>What are the Pros & Cons for TUFO Road Tires?
>
>http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/tires/elite.php?seriesid=33
>
>Thanks

Pro - light, ideal for weight weenie bikes which only have to perform
on the scales

Con - rolling resistance, up to 10W more power loss in the tyres at
25mph compared with the best clinchers

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

"Kinky Cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 18:24:06 -0400, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>What are the Pros & Cons for TUFO Road Tires?
>>
>>http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/tires/elite.php?seriesid=33
>>
>>Thanks

> Pro - light, ideal for weight weenie bikes which only have to perform
> on the scales
>
> Con - rolling resistance, up to 10W more power loss in the tyres at
> 25mph compared with the best clinchers

Hi, can you show me the study that supports what you are stating?

On Jun 9, 4:24 am, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi, can you show me the study that supports what you are stating?

You said "Tufo" and there were no ringing endorsements on the first
round.

Google "Tufo tire rolling resistance" or some such? --D-y

On Jun 9, 4:24 am, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi, can you show me the study that supports what you are stating?

You said "Tufo" and there were no ringing endorsements on the first
round.

Google "Tufo tire rolling resistance" or some such? --D-y

why don't you or some such?

On Jun 9, 8:01 am, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message

> On Jun 9, 4:24 am, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, can you show me the study that supports what you are stating?

> You said "Tufo" and there were no ringing endorsements on the first
> round.
>
> Google "Tufo tire rolling resistance" or some such?  --D-y
>
> why don't you or some such?

Go buy a few sets and become your own expert, is all I can say.

Maybe you'll LIKE them! Some do. --D-y

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On Jun 9, 8:01 am, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message

> On Jun 9, 4:24 am, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, can you show me the study that supports what you are stating?

> You said "Tufo" and there were no ringing endorsements on the first
> round.
>
> Google "Tufo tire rolling resistance" or some such? --D-y
>
> why don't you or some such?

Go buy a few sets and become your own expert, is all I can say.

Maybe you'll LIKE them! Some do. --D-y

Possible, that is why I am asking riders with experience.

On Jun 9, 11:23 am, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 9, 8:01 am, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > On Jun 9, 4:24 am, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Hi, can you show me the study that supports what you are stating?

> > You said "Tufo" and there were no ringing endorsements on the first
> > round.

> > Google "Tufo tire rolling resistance" or some such? --D-y

> > why don't you or some such?

> Go buy a few sets and become your own expert, is all I can say.
>
> Maybe you'll LIKE them! Some do. --D-y
>
> Possible, that is why I am asking riders with experience.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/tires-tubular/tufo/PRD_291919_5681crx.aspx

"Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Possible, that is why I am asking riders with experience.

All kidding aside - they mount somewhat difficult. No big deal. However, the
mount high on the rim and if you aren't nervous that they are essentially
held on only with some air pressure and those somewhat questionable lips on
the edge of the tire then perhaps you ought to have a hobby with something
less likely to get you hurt.

I bought a set and they're still down in my garage. I could never bring
myself to actually ride something that can flat easily and can only be
repaired with Slime. And might skip off of the rim in a hard cornering
situation. I had enough problems worrying about sewups (ever see the crash
video of Beloki?) and don't need the additional worry while trying to match
Jobst's speed down hills.

On Jun 9, 10:57 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/tires-tubular/tufo/PRD_29191...

> Did you notice that the longest time anyone used them was about 1000 miles?
> And they all talked about flats?

No they didn't--a couple guys got flats and remarked on how nicely the
sealant worked. One guy got a larger flat that was too large for the
sealant to permanently fix--it still got him home. Might want to try
reading the links next time.

On Jun 9, 11:57 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> >http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/tires-tubular/tufo/PRD_29191...

> Did you notice that the longest time anyone used them was about 1000 miles?
> And they all talked about flats?

That's the usual case with the reviews on that site - a lot of people
post initial experiences instead of long term. On the flip side,
people are much quicker to post negative feedback, and the Tufo's
wasn't horrible. There were only a few reviews for that particular
Tufo, but one guy said he got 3000 on the front and 2200 on the rear
(I think - tough to tell as he appears to have left out the word
'rear').

I think the OP should buy one and test it himself. I've had products
which I liked which I would never would have bought if I read the
reviews beforehand.

On Jun 9, 10:53 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Possible, that is why I am asking riders with experience.

> All kidding aside - they mount somewhat difficult. No big deal. However, the
> mount high on the rim and if you aren't nervous that they are essentially
> held on only with some air pressure and those somewhat questionable lips on
> the edge of the tire then perhaps you ought to have a hobby with something
> less likely to get you hurt.

Why make such a statement when you have no evidence to back it up? One
of the best reasons to run Tufos is their safety. If you do suffer a
puncture with them, they promise to deflate more slowly and stay on
the rim more securely than clinchers and can even be ridden totally
flat in an emergency.

> I bought a set and they're still down in my garage. I could never bring
> myself to actually ride something that can flat easily and can only be
> repaired with Slime.

I've been intrigued by these tires--the reviews have mostly claimed
average flat resistance to slightly above average and with pre-sliming
that goes up quite a bit. Not surprising considering the extraordinary
thread count and puncture resistant contruction.

>And might skip off of the rim in a hard cornering
> situation.

Evidence?

> I had enough problems worrying about sewups (ever see the crash
> video of Beloki?) and don't need the additional worry while trying to match
> Jobst's speed down hills.

If I was in the habit of throwing myself down alpine hills--I very
well might find Tufos to be worth the price. At $50 per at
biketiresdirect, they're not terribly dear, and they do offer some
rather compelling safety advantages, resistance to pinch flats, if no
palpable performance benefit.

Hi, what is the cheapest price for TUFO tires from Canadian Internet
retailers ??

Thank you

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:49:44 -0700 (PDT), landotter
<[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

>I've been intrigued by these tires--the reviews have mostly claimed
>average flat resistance to slightly above average and with pre-sliming
>that goes up quite a bit. Not surprising considering the extraordinary
>thread count and puncture resistant contruction.

[snip]

Dear LD,

The extraordinary 440 tpi thread count claim is probably achieved by
combining a pair of 220 tpi layers--that's what got Tufo in trouble
previously.

Other manufacturers who make true ~300 tpi tires were polite, but kept
pointing out that they counted their high tpi tires the normal way,
unlike a certain other company.

The Tufo claim was just marketing gone insane. They might as well have
advertised wearing two pairs of lycra shorts to achieve the smooth
feel of silk.

Here's an old post with more details:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/ca02260c8c801dd5

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 05:24:06 -0400, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Kinky Cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 18:24:06 -0400, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>What are the Pros & Cons for TUFO Road Tires?
>>>
>>>http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/tires/elite.php?seriesid=33
>>>
>>>Thanks

>> Pro - light, ideal for weight weenie bikes which only have to perform
>> on the scales
>>
>> Con - rolling resistance, up to 10W more power loss in the tyres at
>> 25mph compared with the best clinchers

>Hi, can you show me the study that supports what you are stating?

http://www.biketechreview.com/tires/AFM_tire_crr.htm

e.g.
Tufo Elite Jet clincher 17.2W per tyre at 25mph
Bontrager Race X Lite Pro 12.0W per tyre 25mph

Note: 10W is more than the aero difference between a cheap Shimano
R560 wheel and a Zipp 808. In other words, if you fit Tufos to Zipp
808s, somebody can beat you with a $150 wheelset by choosing the right
tyres. Also, for any practical combination of slope and speed, the
Tufos would need to weigh less than zero to overcome their
deficiencies against any of the good ~200g racing clinchers from
Bontrager, Michelin, Vittoria, Veloflex

Other results from the same test series:

1: Even at 200psi, the Tufo can't match the Bontrager at 120psi. These
are smooth drum tests; I leave it to the usual argumentors to
determine how bad things would get on real roads if you had to run
200psi to be competitive :)

2: The rolling resistance of Tufos gets worse after being repaired
(whereas a replacement tube is as good as the old one)

On the other hand, if you're only concerned with a pissing contest
with other weight weenies, the Tufo Elite Jet is 20-40g lighter per
wheel than the nearest competitor, so it has that going for it

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary