Tufo Tubular Clincher anyone try these?

I'd love to give a set a try, but only if Nashbar ever has them on
blow-out. :p

Is it true that there's absolutely no way to open these up and patch
the tube? Sealant just doesn't do it for me.

The CX ones seem worth it if you're competitive, you should be able to
run lower pressures more safely.

Love the tech though--they have an uber gee-whiz factor.

landotter wrote:

> The CX ones seem worth it if you're competitive, you should be able to
> run lower pressures more safely.

that might be one suitable application if they stay on at low pressure
like tubulars can.

otherwise, these have been described as the worst of both worlds.

[email protected] wrote:
> landotter wrote:
>
> > The CX ones seem worth it if you're competitive, you should be able to
> > run lower pressures more safely.

> that might be one suitable application if they stay on at low pressure
> like tubulars can.
>
> otherwise, these have been described as the worst of both worlds.

Yep, a non-repairable tire that fits on a clincher rim. The
disadvantages of tubulars (difficulty of repair) and clinchers (heavier
rims) rolled into one pointless product.

Tufo tires are repairable, in fact the tufo sealant works well for
anything with a removable valve core. I've used the tufo sealant on
normal tubs with great success, a slash is fatal, but small punctures
are easly sealed. It can be messy, but I've ridden on a repaired tire
for over a year in the past.

The tublar-clinchers have the advantage of cornering like a tublar.
-Tim

[email protected] wrote:
> Tufo tires are repairable, in fact the tufo sealant works well for
> anything with a removable valve core. I've used the tufo sealant on
> normal tubs with great success, a slash is fatal, but small punctures
> are easly sealed. It can be messy, but I've ridden on a repaired tire
> for over a year in the past.

If you prefer to squirt goo into your tires, what can say? Enjoy!

> The tublar-clinchers have the advantage of cornering like a tublar.

And why, pray tell, would that be?

John L. Lucci wrote:
> Down near the bottom of this webpage. Has anyone tried them? Any
> advantages?

A friend uses them exclusively here in heavy thorn country. He says if
he gets a flat, he removes the irritant, spins the wheel then CO2
inflates it back. Works every time for him.

He won't ride anything but Tufo now.

<[email protected]> wrote
> landotter wrote:
>
>> The CX ones seem worth it if you're competitive, you should be able to
>> run lower pressures more safely.

> that might be one suitable application if they stay on at low pressure
> like tubulars can.

They don't, at least not as well as a properly glued tubular. In cyclo-cross
applications, while you can ride most tubulars (incl Tufo tubulars) down to
30psi and below, the tubular/clinchers will come off in hard cornering if
you try to run them at less than about 40. That sort of kills the point of
using them for 'cross, since you can run a decent clincher that low, or
close to it, and you can then use tires with decent tread (Tufo's come with
prehistoric tread patterns).

John Verheul