Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

TUFO Tubular tape problem/question

Started by John Roden · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,168 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 September 2003
Last activity
6 September 2003
Original author
John Roden
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,168
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I used the TUFO tubular tape this season and it worked great on my road wheels UNTIL I replaced the
    tire, applied a new tubular tape and stuck it on. After riding a real long race in the pouring rain,
    I noticed that great big globs of glue were being squished out from the tire and the tire was not
    stuck to the rim very well any more. It was such a mess I decided to retire the tire.

    My question is does the rain have anything to do with this mess, and will this product work well
    in a very wet environment like cyclocross racing where we go through standing water a lot. Maybe
    it was the re-gluing that did me in, the tire I glued on may have had a bunch of the tape stuck to
    it already.

  2. The TUFO people are coming out with (or already have) an "extreme" version of the tape. I suggest
    you contact David Nayer at Nimble, www.nimble.net [email hidden], as he is very knowledgable on
    tape. I have had good success with the tape this season, noticing that a colleague who typically
    kept his tires in the hot car during the San Antonio heat had this glue oozing.

    If you see the glue oozing out in big globs, the tire needs to be re-taped. The tape is supposed to
    be re-usable, although my experience has been that it sticks so aggressively to the rim that the
    tire donates the rim strip to the rim!

    This thread was lightly discussed earlier this year with a naysayers only rule in place. I for one
    would like to hear others who have actually used the tape as I think it is a fantastic concept.

    Kevin Saunders

    "John Roden" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I used the TUFO tubular tape this season and it worked great on my road wheels UNTIL I replaced
    the tire, applied a new tubular tape and stuck it on. After riding a real long race in the pouring
    rain, I noticed that great big globs of glue were being squished out from the tire and the tire
    was not stuck to the rim very well any more. It was such a mess I decided to retire the tire.

    My question is does the rain have anything to do with this mess, and will this product work well
    in a very wet environment like cyclocross racing where we go through standing water a lot. Maybe
    it was the re-gluing that did me in, the tire I glued on may have had a bunch of the tape stuck to
    it already.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.