TUFO Tubular tape problem/question

Status

John Roden

Guest
I used the TUFO tubular tape this season and it worked great on my road wheels UNTIL I replaced the
tire, applied a new tubular tape and stuck it on. After riding a real long race in the pouring rain,
I noticed that great big globs of glue were being squished out from the tire and the tire was not
stuck to the rim very well any more. It was such a mess I decided to retire the tire.

My question is does the rain have anything to do with this mess, and will this product work well
in a very wet environment like cyclocross racing where we go through standing water a lot. Maybe
it was the re-gluing that did me in, the tire I glued on may have had a bunch of the tape stuck to
it already.

The TUFO people are coming out with (or already have) an "extreme" version of the tape. I suggest
you contact David Nayer at Nimble, www.nimble.net [email protected], as he is very knowledgable on
tape. I have had good success with the tape this season, noticing that a colleague who typically
kept his tires in the hot car during the San Antonio heat had this glue oozing.

If you see the glue oozing out in big globs, the tire needs to be re-taped. The tape is supposed to
be re-usable, although my experience has been that it sticks so aggressively to the rim that the
tire donates the rim strip to the rim!

This thread was lightly discussed earlier this year with a naysayers only rule in place. I for one
would like to hear others who have actually used the tape as I think it is a fantastic concept.

Kevin Saunders

"John Roden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I used the TUFO tubular tape this season and it worked great on my road wheels UNTIL I replaced
> the tire, applied a new tubular tape and stuck it on. After riding a real long race in the pouring
> rain, I noticed that great big globs of glue were being squished out from the tire and the tire
> was not stuck to the rim very well any more. It was such a mess I decided to retire the tire.
>
> My question is does the rain have anything to do with this mess, and will this product work well
> in a very wet environment like cyclocross racing where we go through standing water a lot. Maybe
> it was the re-gluing that did me in, the tire I glued on may have had a bunch of the tape stuck to
> it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.