Tufo tubular tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Glenn Katon

Has anyone tried the Tufo tubular tape? I've heard they make very good tires, but I'm skeptical
about giving up the glue. It sure would be nice if the tape worked though . . .

Thanks for any advice.

"Glenn Katon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone tried the Tufo tubular tape? I've heard they make very good tires, but I'm skeptical
> about giving up the glue. It sure would be nice if the tape worked though . . .

Although I sell Tufo products I haven't ever seen the tape. I'm curious, however. Whatever could be
"nice" about it??

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Glenn Katon wrote:

> Has anyone tried the Tufo tubular tape? I've heard they make very good tires, but I'm skeptical
> about giving up the glue. It sure would be nice if the tape worked though . . .

I'm running Tufo tires with the Tufo tape on my tubulars.

I think they work well. Its not really tape, but a strip of glue, pressed between two pieces of
paper. Peel off one side of the paper, press the strip onto the rim, peel off the other piece of
paper then mount the tire.

When you change your tires, the glue always comes off with the tire leaving the rim pretty clean.

Its so easy I don't think I would try normal cement. Of course, I haven't tried the normal stuff so
I can't offer a comparison.

--

Alexander Ling Education Technologist CITA
#02-35 S16,
Science Drive 1 Singapore 117250 Tel:(65)-6874-8729 Fax:(65)-6777-0607

[email protected] (Glenn Katon) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Haven't seen/tried Tufo tape, but if it's anything like some junk I tried many, many years
ago, skip it.

A friend of mine spent some time racing in the UK, said lots of riders used "tub tape." Anyone
across the pond know? --Jim

Probably lots less messy if you don't get things just right.

I hear from the local Tufo guy that its pretty good stuff, but not as good as a good gluing.

Mike "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Glenn Katon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Has anyone tried the Tufo tubular tape? I've heard they make very good tires, but I'm skeptical
> > about giving up the glue. It sure would be nice if the tape worked though . . .
>
>
> Although I sell Tufo products I haven't ever seen the tape. I'm curious, however. Whatever could
> be "nice" about it??
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Glenn Katon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Has anyone tried the Tufo tubular tape? I've heard they make very good tires, but I'm skeptical
> > about giving up the glue. It sure would be nice if the tape worked though . . .
>
>
> Although I sell Tufo products I haven't ever seen the tape. I'm curious, however. Whatever could
> be "nice" about it??

Andrew, you've been around a while. Do you remember a glue tape that would've been around about
15-20 years ago? Was it Wolber? Velox? It came wrapped in foil in a little box like cotton bar tape.
It was like wrapping a rim with a fly strip! My first tubies were installed with the stuff. Didn't
work worth a ****. --Jim

-snip tape-

"Meccanico di Bici" <[email protected]> queried in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do you remember a glue tape that would've been around about 15-20 years ago? Was it Wolber? Velox?
> It came wrapped in foil in a little box like cotton bar tape. It was like wrapping a rim with a
> fly strip! My first tubies were installed with the stuff. Didn't work worth a ****. --Jim

The stuff in the blue and red box with a foil wrapper inside's brand name was Jantex, made by Velox
( The Tressostar and Tubasti people) and my experience was just as yours.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:00:21 -0500, Meccanico di Bici wrote:

> Andrew, you've been around a while. Do you remember a glue tape that would've been around about
> 15-20 years ago? Was it Wolber? Velox? It came wrapped in foil in a little box like cotton bar
> tape. It was like wrapping a rim with a fly strip! My first tubies were installed with the stuff.
> Didn't work worth a ****.

I certainly recall that stuff. Terrible idea.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |

Status
Not open for further replies.