Tuna casserole recipe?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ken Knecht, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. Ken Knecht

    Ken Knecht Guest

    I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
    especially good?

    TIA

    --
    Untie the two knots to email me

    A closed mouth gathers no foot.

    Tags:

  2. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    Ken Knecht wrote:

    > I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
    > especially good?
    >
    > TIA

    I'd hate to post this, because it's not all that Gourmet, but it's a
    major comfort food & something I grew up eating.

    2 cans of Tuna, drained.
    2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
    Egg Noodles (those rectangle kind with the frilly edges)
    I always have to guess on the quantity of noodles.
    Salt & pepper.

    Cook Egg noodles, Drain
    mix in tuna & soups
    Salt & pepper to Taste.

    You can split it in half for a smaller dish as the one above will feed a
    family of four with some leftovers. My mom never did this, but I have
    shredded some cheddar cheese on top & baked it afterward to melt the
    cheese. It' makes it really yummy that way.

  3. On Mon 27 Feb 2006 10:22:14a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ken Knecht?

    > I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
    > especially good?
    >
    > TIA

    My mom made it this way...

    1 can solid-pack tuna, well-drained and flaked
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    ½ cup whole milk
    ½ cup frozen green peas, thawed
    ½ teaspoon dry mustard
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup uncooked fusilli (corkscrew pasta)
    buttered bread crumbs or crushed potato chips

    Cook noodles according to directions. Combine all ingredients and spoon
    into a 1½ quart casserole. Top with the buttered crumbs or potato chips.
    Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes, until heated through and topping is brown.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  4. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:22:14 GMT, Ken Knecht <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
    >especially good?
    >
    >TIA

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Chinese Casserole

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:40
    Categories : Casseroles

    2 cans tuna -- *see Note
    1 can mushroom soup -- *see Note
    1/2 cup water
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 cup almonds
    1 can button mushrooms(drained) -- (4 oz)
    1 cup chow mein noodles
    1/4 cup green onions -- chopped
    1 cup celery -- chopped

    Mix everything except noodles gently and place in casserole.
    Sprinkle 1 cup noodles on top before baking.

    Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes.

    NOTES : Solid pack tuna
    Golden mushroom soup in original. I do not know if it is still
    available. If not, use regular mushroom soup.
    Can be made ahead and refrigerated.

    --
    Susan N.

  5. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Denise~* <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I'd hate to post this, because it's not all that Gourmet,

    > What here is?

    That recipe Victor has for rooster waddles and duck testicles is pretty
    high falutin'...

    Bob

  6. MoM

    MoM Guest

    "Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ken Knecht wrote:
    >
    >> I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
    >> especially good?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > I'd hate to post this, because it's not all that Gourmet, but it's a
    > major comfort food & something I grew up eating.
    >
    > 2 cans of Tuna, drained.
    > 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
    > Egg Noodles (those rectangle kind with the frilly edges)
    > I always have to guess on the quantity of noodles.
    > Salt & pepper.
    >
    > Cook Egg noodles, Drain
    > mix in tuna & soups
    > Salt & pepper to Taste.
    >
    > You can split it in half for a smaller dish as the one above will feed a
    > family of four with some leftovers. My mom never did this, but I have
    > shredded some cheddar cheese on top & baked it afterward to melt the
    > cheese. It' makes it really yummy that way.

    Mines almost the same, but I use cream of celery soup.

    MoM

  7. Jani

    Jani Guest

    "MoM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Ken Knecht wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
    >>> especially good?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> I'd hate to post this, because it's not all that Gourmet, but it's a
    >> major comfort food & something I grew up eating.
    >>
    >> 2 cans of Tuna, drained.
    >> 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
    >> Egg Noodles (those rectangle kind with the frilly edges)
    >> I always have to guess on the quantity of noodles.
    >> Salt & pepper.
    >>
    >> Cook Egg noodles, Drain
    >> mix in tuna & soups
    >> Salt & pepper to Taste.
    >>
    >> You can split it in half for a smaller dish as the one above will feed a
    >> family of four with some leftovers. My mom never did this, but I have
    >> shredded some cheddar cheese on top & baked it afterward to melt the
    >> cheese. It' makes it really yummy that way.

    > Mines almost the same, but I use cream of celery soup.
    >
    > MoM

    I'm embarrassed now, my Brit version doesn't use any form of canned soup
    :( [1]

    Big tin of tuna, drained and flaked into biggish chunks rather than mush
    Medium tin of sweetcorn, drained
    Cheese sauce (basic white roux, made fairly thick, with a big handful of
    grated cheddar)
    Cooked and drained "scoop-the-sauce" shape pasta; shells, slugs, etc
    Smallish pinch dried chili flakes, ditto garlic or onion salt, couple of
    twists black pepper
    Mix all in casserole dish, top with a layer of grated cheddar, bake in
    fairly hot oven until the cheese is golden and bubbling.

    Jani
    [1] I do put condensed tomato soup in one of my chilli recipes, will that
    do? :)

  8. Jude

    Jude Guest

    This one's pretty different. It's what my Mom made when we were growing
    up. It's a very nice change from the usual tuna-noodle casseroles.

    I'll post HER recipe, then i'll post MY variations on it.

    Star of the Sea Casserole

    2 c cooked rice
    1 10-oz can cream of celery soup
    1/3 c mayo
    1/3 c milk
    1 can tuna., drained
    1 can shrimp, same size as tuna can
    1 5-oz can sliced waterchestnuts
    1 c minced celery
    1 T minced onion
    1 T curry powder

    Combine all ingredients except curry powder. Put into a large casserole
    dish. Sprinke with curry powder. bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

    My variations:

    I sub cream of asparagus soup for the cream of celery. I add in 1 can
    of drained asparagus stems and tips, and reduce the celery to about 1/3
    c. I use 2 cans of tuna and no shrimp. Sometimes I skip the curry and
    use crushed potato chips on top instead.

  9. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>That recipe Victor has for rooster waddles and duck testicles is pretty
    >>high falutin'...
    >>
    >>Bob

    > Rooster don't waddle, duck waddles. "-)
    > Now wattles, otoh. . . .

    Would you believe me if I told you it was meant as a very subtle pun?

    Not a chance, eh? ;-)
    Bob

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>That recipe Victor has for rooster waddles and duck testicles is pretty
    > >>high falutin'...
    > >>
    > >>Bob

    > > Rooster don't waddle, duck waddles. "-)
    > > Now wattles, otoh. . . .

    > Would you believe me if I told you it was meant as a very subtle pun?

    Nope, although I'm wondering if a rooster would waddle if it's testes
    were removed. . . .

    > Not a chance, eh? ;-)

    As we used to say en clase de español, no hay chansa.

    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :)

  11. On Mon 27 Feb 2006 05:26:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
    Jammin'?

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    >> > Rooster don't waddle, duck waddles. "-)
    >> > Now wattles, otoh. . . .

    >> Would you believe me if I told you it was meant as a very subtle pun?

    > Nope, although I'm wondering if a rooster would waddle if it's testes
    > were removed. . . .

    A rooster would be a rooster if its testes were removed. It would be a
    capon.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  12. "Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
    > especially good?

    This is from my family cookbook that I put together for my extended
    family. It was made by my mother since I was born in 1949.
    WARREN TUNAFISH CASSEROLE

    4 Tbs flour

    4 Tbs butter

    4 cups warmed milk

    ½ tsp salt

    pepper to taste

    12 oz sharp Colby cheese

    3 9¼ oz cans tuna

    3 stack packs Ritz crackers

    Make the white sauce by sautéing the flour in the butter briefly and then
    adding the milk and seasonings. Cook the mixture over moderate heat until
    thickened. Add the grated cheese and stir in until combined.

    In a large casserole, layer the ingredients. First, cover the bottom with
    the drained and flaked tuna. Top that with 2 cups of the sauce. Crumble an
    entire stack pack of Ritz crackers over the layer. Repeat the layering
    twice more. Bake the casserole for 30 minutes in a 350° oven until it is
    bubblely and the top browns slightly.

    This recipe is basically from my mother, Mary Virginia Norment Warren. It
    has always been a staple in our home and one of my favorites. It was
    usually served with peas and carrots. My rendition, given above, makes a
    lot so that leftovers are available (it is often better the second time).
    Mother used cheddar cheese, but others can be tried for variation. Also, a
    medium sized onion, diced and sautéed in the butter, is a nice addition.

    I recommend using water packed tuna. The white albacore is very nice in
    this, and its cost can be justified because dolphins are not killed in the
    catching of them, as happens with tuna fishing. Whenever I make a white
    sauce, I envision the starch molecules denaturing and unraveling in the hot
    butter. It is then the electrostatic forces between the chains that
    thickens the milk. All of that brings to mind a quote from my father,
    Joseph Benjamin Warren, "Cooking is just applied organic chemistry."

  13. Food Snob

    Food Snob Guest

    Jani wrote:
    > "MoM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > >> I'd hate to post this, because it's not all that Gourmet, but it's a
    > >> major comfort food & something I grew up eating.
    > >>
    > >> 2 cans of Tuna, drained.
    > >> 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
    > >> Egg Noodles (those rectangle kind with the frilly edges)
    > >> I always have to guess on the quantity of noodles.
    > >> Salt & pepper.
    > >>
    > >> Cook Egg noodles, Drain
    > >> mix in tuna & soups
    > >> Salt & pepper to Taste.
    > >>
    > >> You can split it in half for a smaller dish as the one above will feed a
    > >> family of four with some leftovers. My mom never did this, but I have
    > >> shredded some cheddar cheese on top & baked it afterward to melt the
    > >> cheese. It' makes it really yummy that way.

    > > Mines almost the same, but I use cream of celery soup.
    > >
    > > MoM

    > I'm embarrassed now, my Brit version doesn't use any form of canned soup
    > :( [1]

    It isn't you who should be embarrassed. Using condensed soup, process
    cheese and the like is the fast food version of home cooking.
    But then I'm a food snob.

    > Big tin of tuna, drained and flaked into biggish chunks rather than mush
    > Medium tin of sweetcorn, drained
    > Cheese sauce (basic white roux, made fairly thick, with a big handful of
    > grated cheddar)
    > Cooked and drained "scoop-the-sauce" shape pasta; shells, slugs, etc
    > Smallish pinch dried chili flakes, ditto garlic or onion salt, couple of
    > twists black pepper
    > Mix all in casserole dish, top with a layer of grated cheddar, bake in
    > fairly hot oven until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
    >
    > Jani
    > [1] I do put condensed tomato soup in one of my chilli recipes, will that
    > do? :)

    It'll keep you from getting killfiled for pompousness :)

    --Bryan

  14. Jani

    Jani Guest

    "Food Snob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Jani wrote:

    []

    >> I'm embarrassed now, my Brit version doesn't use any form of canned soup
    >> :( [1]

    > It isn't you who should be embarrassed. Using condensed soup, process
    > cheese and the like is the fast food version of home cooking.
    > But then I'm a food snob.

    Heh. I'm not, I'm just a-person-who-cooks. Sometimes it's verging on
    gourmet, sometimes it's chip butties :)

    []

    >> [1] I do put condensed tomato soup in one of my chilli recipes, will that
    >> do? :)

    > It'll keep you from getting killfiled for pompousness :)

    Might get me killfiled for fence-sitting, though ;)

    Jani

  15. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    "Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ken Knecht wrote:
    >
    > > I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they

    think is
    > > especially good?
    > >
    > > TIA

    > I'd hate to post this, because it's not all that Gourmet, but

    it's a
    > major comfort food & something I grew up eating.
    >
    > 2 cans of Tuna, drained.
    > 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
    > Egg Noodles (those rectangle kind with the frilly edges)
    > I always have to guess on the quantity of noodles.
    > Salt & pepper.
    >
    > Cook Egg noodles, Drain
    > mix in tuna & soups
    > Salt & pepper to Taste.
    >
    > You can split it in half for a smaller dish as the one above

    will feed a
    > family of four with some leftovers. My mom never did this, but

    I have
    > shredded some cheddar cheese on top & baked it afterward to

    melt the
    > cheese. It' makes it really yummy that way.

    Just like that only with elbow macaroni. My mom would make it
    with 3 cans of tuna, 2 cans of mushroom soup and #lbs of elbow
    macaroni. There was always some for tomorrow. It's just as good
    leftover cold. Add a little chopped onion and canned black olives
    to the cold leftovers with enough mayo to moisten and you have a
    good macaroni salad.

  16. >2 cans of Tuna, drained.
    >2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
    >Egg Noodles (those rectangle kind with the frilly edges)
    > I always have to guess on the quantity of noodles.
    >Salt & pepper.

    That's pretty much mine as well. I use the whole grain "egg" noodles,
    and throw in a handful of frozen peas. Also, I sprinkle with bread
    crumbs.

  17. BOBOBOnoBO®

    BOBOBOnoBO® Guest

    Jani wrote:
    > "Food Snob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Jani wrote:

    > []
    >
    > >> I'm embarrassed now, my Brit version doesn't use any form of canned soup
    > >> :( [1]

    > > It isn't you who should be embarrassed. Using condensed soup, process
    > > cheese and the like is the fast food version of home cooking.
    > > But then I'm a food snob.

    > Heh. I'm not, I'm just a-person-who-cooks. Sometimes it's verging on
    > gourmet, sometimes it's chip butties :)

    I Googled "chip butties" and got to this page:
    http://offload1.icculus.org/~chunky/images/random/chipbutty.png
    which reminded me of this:
    http://www.rathergood.com/first_drink
    which is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

    > []
    >
    > >> [1] I do put condensed tomato soup in one of my chilli recipes, will that
    > >> do? :)

    > > It'll keep you from getting killfiled for pompousness :)

    > Might get me killfiled for fence-sitting, though ;)
    >
    > Jani

    --Bryan

  18. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    ~
    ~> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    ~> > In article <[email protected]>,
    ~> > zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    ~> >
    ~> >
    ~> >>That recipe Victor has for rooster waddles and duck testicles is
    pretty
    ~> >>high falutin'...
    ~> >>
    ~> >>Bob
    ~> >
    ~> >
    ~> > Rooster don't waddle, duck waddles. "-)
    ~> > Now wattles, otoh. . . .
    ~>
    ~>
    ~> Would you believe me if I told you it was meant as a very subtle
    pun?
    ~
    ~Nope, although I'm wondering if a rooster would waddle if it's testes
    ~were removed. . . .

    No,it's just that when the wind blows it looks like he does because
    he's got his capon.

    ~> Not a chance, eh? ;-)
    ~