Tuna casserole recipe?

Ken Knecht

Guest
I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
especially good?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Ken Knecht wrote:

> I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
> especially good?
>
> TIA

I'd hate to post this, because it's not all that Gourmet, but it's a
major comfort food & something I grew up eating.

2 cans of Tuna, drained.
2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
Egg Noodles (those rectangle kind with the frilly edges)
I always have to guess on the quantity of noodles.
Salt & pepper.

Cook Egg noodles, Drain
mix in tuna & soups
Salt & pepper to Taste.

You can split it in half for a smaller dish as the one above will feed a
family of four with some leftovers. My mom never did this, but I have
shredded some cheddar cheese on top & baked it afterward to melt the
cheese. It' makes it really yummy that way.

On Mon 27 Feb 2006 10:22:14a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ken Knecht?

> I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
> especially good?
>
> TIA

My mom made it this way...

1 can solid-pack tuna, well-drained and flaked
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ cup whole milk
½ cup frozen green peas, thawed
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup uncooked fusilli (corkscrew pasta)
buttered bread crumbs or crushed potato chips

Cook noodles according to directions. Combine all ingredients and spoon
into a 1½ quart casserole. Top with the buttered crumbs or potato chips.
Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes, until heated through and topping is brown.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:22:14 GMT, Ken Knecht <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
>especially good?
>
>TIA

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chinese Casserole

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:40
Categories : Casseroles

2 cans tuna -- *see Note
1 can mushroom soup -- *see Note
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 cup almonds
1 can button mushrooms(drained) -- (4 oz)
1 cup chow mein noodles
1/4 cup green onions -- chopped
1 cup celery -- chopped

Mix everything except noodles gently and place in casserole.
Sprinkle 1 cup noodles on top before baking.

Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes.

NOTES : Solid pack tuna
Golden mushroom soup in original. I do not know if it is still
available. If not, use regular mushroom soup.
Can be made ahead and refrigerated.

--
Susan N.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Denise~* <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I'd hate to post this, because it's not all that Gourmet,

> What here is?

That recipe Victor has for rooster waddles and duck testicles is pretty
high falutin'...

Bob

"Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ken Knecht wrote:
>
>> I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
>> especially good?
>>
>> TIA

> I'd hate to post this, because it's not all that Gourmet, but it's a
> major comfort food & something I grew up eating.
>
> 2 cans of Tuna, drained.
> 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
> Egg Noodles (those rectangle kind with the frilly edges)
> I always have to guess on the quantity of noodles.
> Salt & pepper.
>
> Cook Egg noodles, Drain
> mix in tuna & soups
> Salt & pepper to Taste.
>
> You can split it in half for a smaller dish as the one above will feed a
> family of four with some leftovers. My mom never did this, but I have
> shredded some cheddar cheese on top & baked it afterward to melt the
> cheese. It' makes it really yummy that way.

Mines almost the same, but I use cream of celery soup.

MoM

"MoM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Ken Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
>>> especially good?
>>>
>>> TIA

>> I'd hate to post this, because it's not all that Gourmet, but it's a
>> major comfort food & something I grew up eating.
>>
>> 2 cans of Tuna, drained.
>> 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
>> Egg Noodles (those rectangle kind with the frilly edges)
>> I always have to guess on the quantity of noodles.
>> Salt & pepper.
>>
>> Cook Egg noodles, Drain
>> mix in tuna & soups
>> Salt & pepper to Taste.
>>
>> You can split it in half for a smaller dish as the one above will feed a
>> family of four with some leftovers. My mom never did this, but I have
>> shredded some cheddar cheese on top & baked it afterward to melt the
>> cheese. It' makes it really yummy that way.

> Mines almost the same, but I use cream of celery soup.
>
> MoM

I'm embarrassed now, my Brit version doesn't use any form of canned soup
:( [1]

Big tin of tuna, drained and flaked into biggish chunks rather than mush
Medium tin of sweetcorn, drained
Cheese sauce (basic white roux, made fairly thick, with a big handful of
grated cheddar)
Cooked and drained "scoop-the-sauce" shape pasta; shells, slugs, etc
Smallish pinch dried chili flakes, ditto garlic or onion salt, couple of
twists black pepper
Mix all in casserole dish, top with a layer of grated cheddar, bake in
fairly hot oven until the cheese is golden and bubbling.

Jani
[1] I do put condensed tomato soup in one of my chilli recipes, will that
do? :)

This one's pretty different. It's what my Mom made when we were growing
up. It's a very nice change from the usual tuna-noodle casseroles.

I'll post HER recipe, then i'll post MY variations on it.

Star of the Sea Casserole

2 c cooked rice
1 10-oz can cream of celery soup
1/3 c mayo
1/3 c milk
1 can tuna., drained
1 can shrimp, same size as tuna can
1 5-oz can sliced waterchestnuts
1 c minced celery
1 T minced onion
1 T curry powder

Combine all ingredients except curry powder. Put into a large casserole
dish. Sprinke with curry powder. bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

My variations:

I sub cream of asparagus soup for the cream of celery. I add in 1 can
of drained asparagus stems and tips, and reduce the celery to about 1/3
c. I use 2 cans of tuna and no shrimp. Sometimes I skip the curry and
use crushed potato chips on top instead.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>That recipe Victor has for rooster waddles and duck testicles is pretty
>>high falutin'...
>>
>>Bob

> Rooster don't waddle, duck waddles. "-)
> Now wattles, otoh. . . .

Would you believe me if I told you it was meant as a very subtle pun?

Not a chance, eh? ;-)
Bob

In article <[email protected]>,
zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>That recipe Victor has for rooster waddles and duck testicles is pretty
> >>high falutin'...
> >>
> >>Bob

> > Rooster don't waddle, duck waddles. "-)
> > Now wattles, otoh. . . .

> Would you believe me if I told you it was meant as a very subtle pun?

Nope, although I'm wondering if a rooster would waddle if it's testes
were removed. . . .

> Not a chance, eh? ;-)

As we used to say en clase de español, no hay chansa.

--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :)

On Mon 27 Feb 2006 05:26:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
Jammin'?

> In article <[email protected]>,
> zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> > Rooster don't waddle, duck waddles. "-)
>> > Now wattles, otoh. . . .

>> Would you believe me if I told you it was meant as a very subtle pun?

> Nope, although I'm wondering if a rooster would waddle if it's testes
> were removed. . . .

A rooster would be a rooster if its testes were removed. It would be a
capon.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

"Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they think is
> especially good?

This is from my family cookbook that I put together for my extended
family. It was made by my mother since I was born in 1949.
WARREN TUNAFISH CASSEROLE

4 Tbs flour

4 Tbs butter

4 cups warmed milk

½ tsp salt

pepper to taste

12 oz sharp Colby cheese

3 9¼ oz cans tuna

3 stack packs Ritz crackers

Make the white sauce by sautéing the flour in the butter briefly and then
adding the milk and seasonings. Cook the mixture over moderate heat until
thickened. Add the grated cheese and stir in until combined.

In a large casserole, layer the ingredients. First, cover the bottom with
the drained and flaked tuna. Top that with 2 cups of the sauce. Crumble an
entire stack pack of Ritz crackers over the layer. Repeat the layering
twice more. Bake the casserole for 30 minutes in a 350° oven until it is
bubblely and the top browns slightly.

This recipe is basically from my mother, Mary Virginia Norment Warren. It
has always been a staple in our home and one of my favorites. It was
usually served with peas and carrots. My rendition, given above, makes a
lot so that leftovers are available (it is often better the second time).
Mother used cheddar cheese, but others can be tried for variation. Also, a
medium sized onion, diced and sautéed in the butter, is a nice addition.

I recommend using water packed tuna. The white albacore is very nice in
this, and its cost can be justified because dolphins are not killed in the
catching of them, as happens with tuna fishing. Whenever I make a white
sauce, I envision the starch molecules denaturing and unraveling in the hot
butter. It is then the electrostatic forces between the chains that
thickens the milk. All of that brings to mind a quote from my father,
Joseph Benjamin Warren, "Cooking is just applied organic chemistry."

Jani wrote:
> "MoM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> I'd hate to post this, because it's not all that Gourmet, but it's a
> >> major comfort food & something I grew up eating.
> >>
> >> 2 cans of Tuna, drained.
> >> 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
> >> Egg Noodles (those rectangle kind with the frilly edges)
> >> I always have to guess on the quantity of noodles.
> >> Salt & pepper.
> >>
> >> Cook Egg noodles, Drain
> >> mix in tuna & soups
> >> Salt & pepper to Taste.
> >>
> >> You can split it in half for a smaller dish as the one above will feed a
> >> family of four with some leftovers. My mom never did this, but I have
> >> shredded some cheddar cheese on top & baked it afterward to melt the
> >> cheese. It' makes it really yummy that way.

> > Mines almost the same, but I use cream of celery soup.
> >
> > MoM

> I'm embarrassed now, my Brit version doesn't use any form of canned soup
> :( [1]

It isn't you who should be embarrassed. Using condensed soup, process
cheese and the like is the fast food version of home cooking.
But then I'm a food snob.

> Big tin of tuna, drained and flaked into biggish chunks rather than mush
> Medium tin of sweetcorn, drained
> Cheese sauce (basic white roux, made fairly thick, with a big handful of
> grated cheddar)
> Cooked and drained "scoop-the-sauce" shape pasta; shells, slugs, etc
> Smallish pinch dried chili flakes, ditto garlic or onion salt, couple of
> twists black pepper
> Mix all in casserole dish, top with a layer of grated cheddar, bake in
> fairly hot oven until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
>
> Jani
> [1] I do put condensed tomato soup in one of my chilli recipes, will that
> do? :)

It'll keep you from getting killfiled for pompousness :)

--Bryan

"Food Snob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Jani wrote:

[]

>> I'm embarrassed now, my Brit version doesn't use any form of canned soup
>> :( [1]

> It isn't you who should be embarrassed. Using condensed soup, process
> cheese and the like is the fast food version of home cooking.
> But then I'm a food snob.

Heh. I'm not, I'm just a-person-who-cooks. Sometimes it's verging on
gourmet, sometimes it's chip butties :)

[]

>> [1] I do put condensed tomato soup in one of my chilli recipes, will that
>> do? :)

> It'll keep you from getting killfiled for pompousness :)

Might get me killfiled for fence-sitting, though ;)

Jani

"Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ken Knecht wrote:
>
> > I'm hungry for tuna casserole. Anyone have a recipe they

think is
> > especially good?
> >
> > TIA

> I'd hate to post this, because it's not all that Gourmet, but

it's a
> major comfort food & something I grew up eating.
>
> 2 cans of Tuna, drained.
> 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
> Egg Noodles (those rectangle kind with the frilly edges)
> I always have to guess on the quantity of noodles.
> Salt & pepper.
>
> Cook Egg noodles, Drain
> mix in tuna & soups
> Salt & pepper to Taste.
>
> You can split it in half for a smaller dish as the one above

will feed a
> family of four with some leftovers. My mom never did this, but

I have
> shredded some cheddar cheese on top & baked it afterward to

melt the
> cheese. It' makes it really yummy that way.

Just like that only with elbow macaroni. My mom would make it
with 3 cans of tuna, 2 cans of mushroom soup and #lbs of elbow
macaroni. There was always some for tomorrow. It's just as good
leftover cold. Add a little chopped onion and canned black olives
to the cold leftovers with enough mayo to moisten and you have a
good macaroni salad.

>2 cans of Tuna, drained.
>2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
>Egg Noodles (those rectangle kind with the frilly edges)
> I always have to guess on the quantity of noodles.
>Salt & pepper.

That's pretty much mine as well. I use the whole grain "egg" noodles,
and throw in a handful of frozen peas. Also, I sprinkle with bread
crumbs.

Jani wrote:
> "Food Snob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Jani wrote:

> []
>
> >> I'm embarrassed now, my Brit version doesn't use any form of canned soup
> >> :( [1]

> > It isn't you who should be embarrassed. Using condensed soup, process
> > cheese and the like is the fast food version of home cooking.
> > But then I'm a food snob.

> Heh. I'm not, I'm just a-person-who-cooks. Sometimes it's verging on
> gourmet, sometimes it's chip butties :)

I Googled "chip butties" and got to this page:
http://offload1.icculus.org/~chunky/images/random/chipbutty.png
which reminded me of this:
http://www.rathergood.com/first_drink
which is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

> []
>
> >> [1] I do put condensed tomato soup in one of my chilli recipes, will that
> >> do? :)

> > It'll keep you from getting killfiled for pompousness :)

> Might get me killfiled for fence-sitting, though ;)
>
> Jani

--Bryan

~
~> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
~> > In article <[email protected]>,
~> > zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
~> >
~> >
~> >>That recipe Victor has for rooster waddles and duck testicles is
pretty
~> >>high falutin'...
~> >>
~> >>Bob
~> >
~> >
~> > Rooster don't waddle, duck waddles. "-)
~> > Now wattles, otoh. . . .
~>
~>
~> Would you believe me if I told you it was meant as a very subtle
pun?
~
~Nope, although I'm wondering if a rooster would waddle if it's testes
~were removed. . . .

No,it's just that when the wind blows it looks like he does because
he's got his capon.

~> Not a chance, eh? ;-)
~