Tune vs American Classic hubs?

Tim McTeague

Guest
I see many of the wheel builders people on the net seem to like, such as oddsandendos (Mike Garcia)
and SpeedDream (Dave Thomas), use American Classic hubs a lot. Mike Garcia suggests the German Tune
hubs as an upgrade. Checking Roadbike and MtBike review the AC hubs don't fare too well but Tune
does. Neither seems hugely popular however. Anyone have first hand, or reliable second hand,
information on these hubs? I have always had good old Shimano/Campagnolo hubs but they are said to
be heavy with thin axles by the wheelbuilders. Advice?

Tim McTeague

Is there anyway you can get tune hub online? how much do they go for? "Tim McTeague"
> I see many of the wheel builders people on the net seem to like, such as oddsandendos (Mike
> Garcia) and SpeedDream (Dave Thomas), use American Classic hubs a lot. Mike Garcia suggests the
> German Tune hubs as an upgrade. Checking Roadbike and MtBike review the AC hubs don't fare too
> well but Tune does. Neither seems hugely popular however. Anyone have first hand, or reliable
> second hand, information on these hubs? I have always had good old Shimano/Campagnolo hubs but
> they are said to be heavy with thin axles by the wheelbuilders. Advice?
>
> Tim McTeague

I'm a fan of fancy wheels (have a set of Speed Dream MTB wheels, and I'm currently waiting on a new
set of road wheels from Dave). However, I'm also a fan of wheels that will last me several years or
more so I shy away from the specialty hubs. Depends on your drivetrain of course, but I run Campy
and Record hubs aren't all that much heavier (note that many hub manufacturers list weights w/o
skewers, but Campy *includes* skewers in advertised weights). If I had a Shimano drivetrain I'd
probably go with Chris King hubs - I have them on my MTB wheels and they're great. As far as
American Classic, I've also read the horror stories, so I wouldn't go near them - plus, I think
they're FUGLY as heck (flame-suit on!)

I'm sure most wheelbuilders will build whatever you want; just give them a call and talk to them
about your riding style, weight, etc. I think it's well worth the minimal extra cost to have someone
super-knowledgable build your wheels, regardless of the components.

mcteague-<< Anyone have first hand, or reliable second hand, information on these hubs? I have
always had good old Shimano/Campagnolo hubs but they are said to be heavy with thin axles by the
wheelbuilders.

Heavy with thin axles-what bugle oil. For a road bike wheel it is hard to beat DuraAce or
Centaur/Chorus/Record. For durability, ease of maintenance, common parts, weight, price. A lot of
the web builders muck around with a lot of goofy lacings cuz that **** sells, not last, but
whizbangery sells. BUT call around and see if anybody has any parts for CK, Hugi, Tune, AC,
hubs...from a good wheelbuulder, not somebody 'competing' with other whizbang wheels, from Mavic,
Campagnolo, etc.

For MTB hubs, hard to beat 2002/3 XTR-

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:09:26 -0500, Amit wrote:

> "Chalothorn Vashirakovit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Is there anyway you can get tune hub online? how much do they go for?
>
> They are available from:
>
> http://www.labicicletta.com
>
> They ain't cheap

No lie there. $349 -- US for a friggin' hub! Ah, well, the non-carbon axle version is "only" $199
US. For one hub. At least it's a rear hub. No skewer?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. -- _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

>I see many of the wheel builders people on the net seem to like, such as oddsandendos (Mike Garcia)
>and SpeedDream (Dave Thomas), use American Classic hubs a lot. Mike Garcia suggests the German Tune
>hubs as an upgrade. Checking Roadbike and MtBike review the AC hubs don't fare too well but Tune
>does. Neither seems hugely popular however. Anyone have first hand, or reliable second hand,
>information on these hubs? I have always had good old Shimano/Campagnolo hubs but they are said to
>be heavy with thin axles by the wheelbuilders. Advice?

If you want solid, reliable hubs, stick with Shimano/Campagnolo. Other hubs are not that much, if at
all, lighter than the top of the line Shimano/Campagnolo offerings.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:

> If you want solid, reliable hubs, stick with Shimano/Campagnolo. Other hubs are not that much, if
> at all, lighter than the top of the line Shimano/Campagnolo offerings.

What you said about weight is not really true. A pair of Record hubs is 366 grams a pair, without
quick releases. An American Classic and Tune combination can be as little as 240 grams. That's about
two thirds of the Records hubs' weight.

I'm not saying that Record hubs aren't an overall better deal what comes to reliability,
serviceability and price. Logically thinking that should include almost everybody, but there are
always those types for whom low weight seems to be the top priority, no matter what.

-as

Tune is online and they also have an english version of the web site: www.tune.de

they make hubs since i think 1994 and are still in business. their stuff is really good and well
made but as with all lightweight parts one should not expect that they last forever without
maintenance.

Cheers, Carsten

news:<[email protected]>...
> Tim McTeague wrote:
> >
> > I see many of the wheel builders people on the net seem to like, such as oddsandendos (Mike
> > Garcia) and SpeedDream (Dave Thomas), use American Classic hubs a lot. Mike Garcia suggests the
> > German Tune hubs as an upgrade. Checking Roadbike and MtBike review the AC hubs don't fare too
> > well but Tune does. Neither seems hugely popular however. Anyone have first hand, or reliable
> > second hand, information on these hubs? I have always had good old Shimano/Campagnolo hubs but
> > they are said to be heavy with thin axles by the wheelbuilders. Advice?
>
> I have a front AC microhub (68g). It seems to work just fine. I don't know of any AC microhub
> complaints by others, but I suppose there are some somewhere.

Antti Salonen <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > If you want solid, reliable hubs, stick with Shimano/Campagnolo. Other hubs are not that much,
> > if at all, lighter than the top of the line Shimano/Campagnolo offerings.
>
> What you said about weight is not really true. A pair of Record hubs is 366 grams a pair, without
> quick releases. An American Classic and Tune combination can be as little as 240 grams. That's
> about two thirds of the Records hubs' weight.

Your weight for the above hubs is a bit misleading. First, let's compare apples to apples, according
to Damon Rinard/Sheldon Brown, the following are the weights of the the above rear cassette hubs,
WITHOUT SKEWERS, that have been ACTUALLY WEIGHED:

Tune 215 rear hub (215g) Am Classic rear hub (235, 236g) Record 10 (2000) (248g) Chorus 10 (2000)
(260g) Hugi 240 (237g) CKing (264g)

For more, see here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/weights.htm#cassettehubs

As for "lightweight" front hubs, take a look at: FRM front hub (64g) American Classic Micro front
hub (65, 67g) Tune Mig 66 2000 (81, 83g) Record (2000) (118g)

For more front hubs, see here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/weights.htm#fronthubs

So the majority of the "difference" is going to be basically in the choice of front hub. The
question is whether you want strictly lightweight or a combination of lightweight, durability and
cost. Yes, you can get a Tune rear/Am Classic micro front that will weigh around 280g, but how much
is that set going to cost? Further, how durable will that combo be?.....

bfd <[email protected]> wrote:

> Antti Salonen <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

>> What you said about weight is not really true. A pair of Record hubs is 366 grams a pair, without
>> quick releases. An American Classic and Tune combination can be as little as 240 grams. That's
>> about two thirds of the Records hubs' weight.
>>
> Your weight for the above hubs is a bit misleading. First, let's compare apples to apples,
> according to Damon Rinard/Sheldon Brown, the following are the weights of the the above rear
> cassette hubs, WITHOUT SKEWERS, that have been ACTUALLY WEIGHED:

I'm not sure what you are yelling about. The weights I mentioned were without skewers although not
weighed by a third party.

Let's add to the following list the Tune MAG 180, which according to the manufacturer weighs 183
grams. Considering that the weight you've quoted below or the Tune 215 is actually lower than the
manufacturer's official number, we can probably assume the real weight isn't more than that. That's
the hub I used to calculate the total of roughly 240 grams. Whether this is a few grams off doesn't
really change anything.

> Tune 215 rear hub (215g) Am Classic rear hub (235, 236g) Record 10 (2000) (248g) Chorus 10 (2000)
> (260g) Hugi 240 (237g) CKing (264g)

> For more, see here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/weights.htm#cassettehubs

I'm familiar with Damon Rinard's chart, but it doesn't list all hubs on the market.

> The question is whether you want strictly lightweight or a combination of lightweight, durability
> and cost. Yes, you can get a Tune rear/Am Classic micro front that will weigh around 280g, but how
> much is that set going to cost? Further, how durable will that combo be?.....

I believe this is more or less what I said in my own posting. No disagreement here. You have to
decide how much you're willing to sacrifice in durability, serviceability and money to gain barely a
hundred grams. Logically it shouldn't be a good deal to almost anyone, but somehow these
stupid-light hubs seem to survive on the market.

-as

[email protected] (Tim McTeague) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Carsten) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Tune is online and they also have an english version of the web site: www.tune.de
> >
> > they make hubs since i think 1994 and are still in business. their stuff is really good and well
> > made but as with all lightweight parts one should not expect that they last forever without
> > maintenance.
> >
> > Cheers, Carsten
>
> I have seen their web site, but not much to read there. I was looking for opinions on AC and Tune
> hubs, such as long term reliability. AC seems to have taken a few knocks on overall quality but,
> back under original management, may be back on track. I guess I wanted something a bit more trick
> than my old Shimano 600 hub, Mavic Reflex rim, 32 spoke wheels. Perhaps it is best to stick with
> Dura-Ace hubs, but if I can loose 200+ grams on a pair of wheels, and not give up too much
> durability in the bargain, then why not. Mike Garcia sells Tune built wheels for about $100 more
> than AC, which he sells for the same price as Dura-Ace hubbed wheels. Decisions, decisions.
>
> Tim

What do you plan on gaining by losing that 200+ grams? Even 500g means mostly nothing in everyday
riding. Most people here will tell you (if you haven't surmised by now) that you most likely won't
realize any gain in performance. Rememeber, there's no freen lunch.

Go for the DA hubs and standard rim/spokes.

Robin Hubert

> What do you plan on gaining by losing that 200+ grams? Even 500g means mostly nothing in everyday
> riding. Most people here will tell you (if you haven't surmised by now) that you most likely won't
> realize any gain in performance. Rememeber, there's no freen lunch.
>
> Go for the DA hubs and standard rim/spokes.
>
> Robin Hubert

Not much, really. But, come on, we all look at the weight of components, and if I can get lighter
hubs and not sacrifice quality, why not? My current bike is about a pound less than my last one and
my average speed has not dropped a bit. There is that "certain something" about picking up a light
bike even if it does nothing to contribute to speed.

By the way, what is a "freen lunch"? Green eggs and ham?

Tim

> There is that "certain something" about picking up a light bike even if it does nothing to
> contribute to speed.
>
> Tim

Could you be more specific?

Ted

> Could you be more specific?
>
> Ted

Now, Ted, I'm sure you know what I mean. Just as with the pleasure you can derive from looking at
well machined parts there can be enjoyment in handling lightweight, well made bicycles that is not
directly connected to their ability to make us go faster. I like riding bikes and sometimes just
looking at bikes. Most people, when checking out a new bike, grab it by the seat and stem, lift it
off the ground a couple of times and proceed to make an assessment based on weight. I am well aware
that a pound here or there really does not make a serious difference, but light bikes are cool.
There seems to be a faction out there that gets offended if someone buys a bike or parts that are
lighter/more expensive or in any way out of the ordinary. I love to read the comments on the
bike-photo section of roadbikereview.com. People go apeshit over stem height, wheel and component
choice, etc. Let people buy what they want. Constructive criticism is fine but some just like to
sling mud. Meanwhile, I need to go for a ride but it's too freakin' cold. What a wimp.

Tim

>And 126 grams difference-about 4 ounces ....I think I'll continue to recommend shimano/Campagnolo

But that 4 ounces is 33% lighter!!!! FOr a same part, I'll take the 33% lighter one any day and pass
you on the uphills everytime.

Thats like saying you'd rather rider your 33% heavier 20lb bike over 15lb one! Absolutely crazy
talk. If Lance thought a 20lb bike was better, you'd see him riding one. He chooses weight over
"name brand"
- how else does he get his bike to 15.5lbs. And he probably has to add weight to his bike so that it
doesn't go UNDER the UCI minimum weight!

Pete,

CK has parts for CK hubs... you can get that stuff online from them if you want.

But I'd agree that the Dura Ace and Record hubs are pretty hard to beat. I generally get 50,000
miles out of 'em with a bearing change or two and then throw 'em on a bike that I'm selling because
I feel I need new hubs even though they're as good as new ;-)

-B

> mcteague-<< Anyone have first hand, or reliable second hand, information on these hubs? I have
> always had good old Shimano/Campagnolo hubs but they are said to be heavy with thin axles by the
> wheelbuilders.
>
> Heavy with thin axles-what bugle oil. For a road bike wheel it is hard to
beat
> DuraAce or Centaur/Chorus/Record. For durability, ease of maintenance,
common
> parts, weight, price. A lot of the web builders muck around with a lot of
goofy
> lacings cuz that **** sells, not last, but whizbangery sells. BUT call
around
> and see if anybody has any parts for CK, Hugi, Tune, AC, hubs...from a
good
> wheelbuulder, not somebody 'competing' with other whizbang wheels, from
Mavic,
> Campagnolo, etc.
>
> For MTB hubs, hard to beat 2002/3 XTR-

>>And 126 grams difference-about 4 ounces ....I think I'll continue to recommend shimano/Campagnolo
>

> But that 4 ounces is 33% lighter!!!!

4oz is 4oz. Do you also shop for things that are 50 % off?

That is the most ridiculous logic I've ever heard.

Who gives a **** if it's 33% lighter... the difference is 4 ounces. Which is 1/5 the weight of a
full water bottle. You won't pass him on the uphills every time... it's dependent on who actually
rides their bike more.

On a good day on a 20 lb bike I'd be a LOT faster up a hill than on a bad day on a 15 lb bike.

-B

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:38:07 -0500, tity wrote:

>>And 126 grams difference-about 4 ounces ....I think I'll continue to recommend shimano/Campagnolo
>
> But that 4 ounces is 33% lighter!!!! FOr a same part, I'll take the 33% lighter one any day and
> pass you on the uphills everytime.
>
> Thats like saying you'd rather rider your 33% heavier 20lb bike over 15lb one! Absolutely
> crazy talk.

Speaking of. 4 ounces is not 5 pounds.

> If Lance thought a 20lb bike was better, you'd see him riding one. He chooses weight over "name
> brand" - how else does he get his bike to 15.5lbs. And he probably has to add weight to his bike
> so that it doesn't go UNDER the UCI minimum weight!

That makes a lot of sense. Make the bike stupid-light, and then hang lead weights on it to
be legal...

--

David L. Johnson

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or _`\(,_ | that we are to
stand by the president right or wrong, is not (_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is
morally treasonable to the American public. --Theodore Roosevelt