tuning gears advice

Dundonald

Guest
OK I'm almost embarrassed to ask but I have to learn somewhere. I've
done a bit of digging around on how to tune my gears properly myself.
>From what I've learned the tuning nob on the rear dérailleur and the

tuning nob on the gear lever are to be used. But how best to combine
both of them to get it spot on I'm unsure.

Can anyone point me to a good how to guide or offer tips up here
please?

Thanks

Dundonald wrote:
> OK I'm almost embarrassed to ask but I have to learn somewhere. I've
> done a bit of digging around on how to tune my gears properly myself.
>>From what I've learned the tuning nob on the rear dérailleur and the

> tuning nob on the gear lever are to be used. But how best to combine
> both of them to get it spot on I'm unsure.
>
> Can anyone point me to a good how to guide or offer tips up here
> please?
>
> Thanks

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

It works.

--
Paul - ***

AUSHTA http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

Quoting Dundonald <[email protected]>:
>From what I've learned the tuning nob on the rear d=E9railleur and the
>tuning nob on the gear lever are to be used. But how best to combine
>both of them to get it spot on I'm unsure.

They both do the same thing and may be used interchangeably. However, I
recommend you put the one on the gear lever in the centre of its range and
adjust the one on the rear derailleur if possible. It tends to freeze up
from road schmutz - while you can loosen it up in the shed, when you're on
the road and have a gear adjustment problem, this approach means you get
the maximum range on the one that is most likely to be working.
Today is First Monday, August.

On Aug 23, 6:00 pm, Phil Cook <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dundonald wrote:
> >OK I'm almost embarrassed to ask but I have to learn somewhere. I've
> >done a bit of digging around on how to tune my gears properly myself.
> >>From what I've learned the tuning nob on the rear dérailleur and the

> >tuning nob on the gear lever are to be used. But how best to combine
> >both of them to get it spot on I'm unsure.

> >Can anyone point me to a good how to guide or offer tips up here
> >please?

> AUSHTAhttp://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
> --
> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

That's great thanks for the pointer the page looks excellent I'll have
a read.

Dundonald wrote:
> OK I'm almost embarrassed to ask but I have to learn somewhere. I've
> done a bit of digging around on how to tune my gears properly myself.
>> From what I've learned the tuning nob on the rear dérailleur and the

> tuning nob on the gear lever are to be used. But how best to combine
> both of them to get it spot on I'm unsure.
>
> Can anyone point me to a good how to guide or offer tips up here
> please?

The gear lever one is handy for fine tuning as it can be used while riding
along, but make more major changes at the rear.

If re-attaching the cable, set the gear lever adjuster to the central
position and screw the rear one all the way in clockwise before attaching
the cable. This allows you to get good tension afterwards as it may not be
tight enough otherwise, even when pulling with plyers.

In any gear, if the chain is reluctant to shift to the next larger sprocket,
or if it is rubbing against the next smaller sprocket, the cable tension
probably needs to be increased, so turn one of the cable adjusters
anti-clockwise by a small amount (1/8 to 1/2 a turn). Try again and
repeat/correct as necessary. Vice versa for smaller sprockets.

Remember that the derailleur limit screw or other things may be interfering
if there are problems shifting onto the largest or smallest sprocket.

~PB
~PB

On Aug 24, 1:10 am, "Pete Biggs"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Dundonald wrote:
> > OK I'm almost embarrassed to ask but I have to learn somewhere. I've
> > done a bit of digging around on how to tune my gears properly myself.
> >> From what I've learned the tuning nob on the rear dérailleur and the

> > tuning nob on the gear lever are to be used. But how best to combine
> > both of them to get it spot on I'm unsure.

> > Can anyone point me to a good how to guide or offer tips up here
> > please?

> The gear lever one is handy for fine tuning as it can be used while riding
> along, but make more major changes at the rear.
>
> If re-attaching the cable, set the gear lever adjuster to the central
> position and screw the rear one all the way in clockwise before attaching
> the cable. This allows you to get good tension afterwards as it may not be
> tight enough otherwise, even when pulling with plyers.
>
> In any gear, if the chain is reluctant to shift to the next larger sprocket,
> or if it is rubbing against the next smaller sprocket, the cable tension
> probably needs to be increased, so turn one of the cable adjusters
> anti-clockwise by a small amount (1/8 to 1/2 a turn). Try again and
> repeat/correct as necessary. Vice versa for smaller sprockets.
>
> Remember that the derailleur limit screw or other things may be interfering
> if there are problems shifting onto the largest or smallest sprocket.
>
> ~PB
> ~PB

Thanks Pete and everyone. I got my rear gears working perfectly!