Turbo Trainer Advice

Tj

Guest
With winter coming i'd like to do some training so that I dont lose all of the benefit from this
season and perhaps have some advantage at the beginning of next season.

I like some recommendations and comments on the trainers that you lock the bike into.

Thanks

TJ

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> With winter coming i'd like to do some training so that I dont lose all of the benefit from this
> season and perhaps have some advantage at the beginning of next season.

The best advice is get some bright lights and a warm coat.

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> With winter coming i'd like to do some training so that I dont lose all of the benefit from this
> season and perhaps have some advantage at the beginning of next season.
>
> I like some recommendations and comments on the trainers that you lock the bike into.

I had a very basic Tacx one and had to get rid of it because it was so mind-numbingly boring to
use. tony R.

I use a Tacx Excel which I find is great as you can program in your normal outdoors ride (hills
descents etc) then either imagine where you are on the route or watch a video of the route (drive
round with a DV camera then stick the footage on tape or DVD). I used to use a cateye which also
felt very good but you can not program it & its very noisy when going hard. I like the look of the
new Elite trainers that are supposed to be very quiet.

Training outside is always the best option but if the weathers terrible or you live in the city with
only a hour or so time to train then a indoor trainer is ideal. If you plan to train more then
30minutes buy a large fan & drink plenty. Indoor Trainers are also great for doing interval workouts
or anything at a specific HR or power level.

Phil www.turbovids.net

news:[email protected]...

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> writes:

> Whatever you do on a turbo, after 20 minutes you will get *very* hot. Either get a big fan or use
> it outdoors.

Errrr... if you're going to do it in the Big Blue Room, what's the point? Why not just take the bike
off the bl**dy thing and go out and have a blast?

my other car is #<Subr-Car: #5d480> ;; This joke is not funny in emacs.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Errrr... if you're going to do it in the Big Blue Room, what's the point? Why not just take the
> bike off the bl**dy thing and go out and have a blast?

Dark, psychopathic car drivers, ice...

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
> > Errrr... if you're going to do it in the Big Blue Room, what's the point? Why not just take the
> > bike off the bl**dy thing and go out and have a blast?
> >
> Dark, psychopathic car drivers, ice...

Use lights.

Less of them than during the day -- try it -- it can be fun.

OK -- so that's a few days when, I grant, it might be better to stay home. Or, get an MTB and hack
round some bridle paths.

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
> > Errrr... if you're going to do it in the Big Blue Room, what's the point? Why not just take the
> > bike off the bl**dy thing and go out and have a blast?
> >
> Dark, psychopathic car drivers, ice...

I borrowed a turbo once with a view to buy. I gave the ruddy thing back and got a hack bike with
good lights. Then I got up early in the morning before the Living Dead started motor commuting and
went for a ride, set me up for the day! (in fact if I can haul myself out of bed early enough this
coming winter I'll give it another crack). Turbo training has nothing in common with my idea of
cycling. Granted if you compete then you will have the motivation to turbo train without the hassles
associated with riding miles on dark, wet roads but that's a means to an end.

Pete

> I had a very basic Tacx one and had to get rid of it because it was so mind-numbingly boring to
> use. tony R.

Which is why I use mine with a 24" fan, a TV and a VCR :)

--
Mark (MSA)

Bike shop assistant... "We couldn't repair your brakes, so we made your horn louder"!

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > I had a very basic Tacx one and had to get rid of it because it was so mind-numbingly boring to
> > use. tony R.
> >

> Which is why I use mine with a 24" fan, a TV and a VCR :)

I think that's good advice. I tried musical diversion but that really screwed with my cadence!
Having a strong motivation is probably necessary too. I just had vague notions of keeping fitter
during winter - not strong enough.

tony R.

Peter B wrote:

> Granted if you compete then you will have the motivation to turbo train without the hassles
> associated with riding miles on dark, wet roads

I wish...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/