Turbo Trainer - Looking to buy 1

Sam123

Aug 1, 2009
Ok.. so with my Xmas money that i get.

I'm looking to buy a Turbo Trainer for no more then £150.

It's gotta be quiet, smooth and have some good resistance levels.

It also has to be one that i can put my rear wheel in and not have to remove any wheels.

Is there ones i can get where i can get out of the saddle and right? But not a roller. For no more then £150.

Also im looking to buy a block or whatever they are so the rubber on the tire does not kill the carpet.

Can you pick out a cheap turbo that is designed to let you climb out of saddle? Will make it a little more fun :p

If you can find any. Please post them cheapest to expensive.

Thanks.

Easiest way would be to research what you are after and find the best product that suits you.
Everyone is different, and what i may love, others may not.

Best thing would be to look up some the trainers that are made like
tacx, cycleops, kurt kinetic & so on. There are lots of different ones out there to look for

I dont know what to look for in the information, what would it say? 'This is designed to be out in the saddle'?

Yeah some will say good for out of the saddle sprinting & so on.
My best advice would be to look for a really well built one if you want to be out of the saddle a bit.

I cant remember which one, but i think it was the kurt kinetic actually made one that you can get out of the saddle & move your bike side to side like you really do outside.

If you want to keep it cheap, the best way to climb out of the saddle is to shift to higher gears. I don't know what trainer prices are like in the UK, but generally, fluid trainers are the most reliable and provide the proper resistance curve (a velocity squared curve). While you might not normally pedal a 53-12 or 11 or 50-11, those kinds of gear ratios can simulate climbing pretty well.

Of course, the more features you get on a trainer, the more it costs. Given that, I don't know if a trainer with adjustable resistance would fit in your budget.

Last night i was looking at this

Minoura VFS-GR Fluid Turbo Trainer with Remote Only £191.99

Its £191 but im sure i can put some money towards it from my bank from the Money i got for Xmas.

It says you can get out of the saddle but how? It doesn't have anything to make go side to side?

Its also fluid so will this be quiet? It says it will be quiet but does anyone know for sure?

Sam123 said:

Its £191 but im sure i can put some money towards it from my bank from the Money i got for Xmas.

It says you can get out of the saddle but how? It doesn't have anything to make go side to side?

Its also fluid so will this be quiet? It says it will be quiet but does anyone know for sure?

Fluid is the quietest, but any trainer will make noise no matter what. Don't expect it to be silent. I got a fluid trainer, for me the vibration was the biggest concern. Most people have it either in basement or somewhere so it doesn't bother anyone. I got it on a 3rd floor apartament, so my downstairs neighbor most likely hates me for it.

Sam123 said:

Quiet is relative, but the fluid trainers are a lot more quiet than other sorts.

How do you get out of the saddle on the trainer? Just stand up and pedal. The bike won't rock so much, but your body can.

gman0482 said:
Fluid is the quietest, but any trainer will make noise no matter what. Don't expect it to be silent. I got a fluid trainer, for me the vibration was the biggest concern. Most people have it either in basement or somewhere so it doesn't bother anyone. I got it on a 3rd floor apartament, so my downstairs neighbor most likely hates me for it.

Some trainer companies sell rubber mats. I think Minoura might. Give one of those a try, or cobble together a similar solution at home.

When I got my KK trainer, I went to a hardware store and bought a heavy thick rubber mat that is used under machinery. It works great and only $30. 3/4 inch thick, 3'x3', only under my trainer.

Sam123 said:

Try this one Sam Tacx T1850 Satori Trainer | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I got mine delivered today, set it up & thought i would give it a quick try, an hour later i got off and was buggered as!!!
If you get one of these i would defintely reccomend getting one of the sweat socks Tacx T1365 Sweat Cover | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com as you will sweat a hell of a lot more!

As for out of the saddle riding, i tried it and seemed to work perfect without any hassle. As Alienator said, you just move your body instead of the bike.

These trainers are the ones the pro teams use to warm up before racing as well, so they must be pretty good for them to use it.

Sam123 said:

In-ger-land...

A couple of items you'll need when training and should be considered in the 'budget':

A big fan for cooling. Not a piddly little 9" or smaller unit - get the biggest one you can afford. Sweating does not mean that you're going really hard - it just means you're getting too hot. You're after something that'll move a large volume of air. Even in the confines of my garage in "sunny Bolton" I used to have a fan during winter for the 2 hour rides.

Forget the 'sweat socks' or other sweat catching items - what you really need are big towels. Just lay them over the bars and top tube to catch the sweat and that position means they'll be handy for wiping sweat off you too...

... neither do you need a fancy looking block to put under the front wheel like Saris makes. You just need something thats solid and will get the bike level or tilted up slightly.

+1 sampy. This is where my local hardware store comes in handy once again. This utility window fan costs $9.99, and towels have plenty of (also cheap)