Turbo trainers damage wheels?

ItalianStallion

Mar 3, 2004
I have been told by my LBS that all turbo trainers damage the rear wheels of a bike and thus it is recomended that you but a cheap spare wheel to put on when training.

Is this true? It doesn't really make sense to me, I would think it might put a bit more stress on the tyres, but not the wheel.

Thanks

Originally posted by ItalianStallion
I have been told by my LBS that all turbo trainers damage the rear wheels of a bike and thus it is recomended that you but a cheap spare wheel to put on when training.

Is this true? It doesn't really make sense to me, I would think it might put a bit more stress on the tyres, but not the wheel.

Thanks

What kind of trainer is this ? I used a Minoura InterRim trainer for years without any problems to my rims. I now have a Travel Trac Century Mag Plus Trainer and haven't had any rim problems.

In both cases the rims never had any excess wear and remained tru.

Check out :
http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11573

for some more opinions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Train Hard - Ride Fast

Originally posted by mfoswterwa
What kind of trainer is this ?

No specific kind, I was just enquiring to my LBS about the price and he mentioned that on top of the trainer I would have to buy a new wheel, so the total cost would increase.

I am looking to buy a rather cheap and standard trainer, just to keep me going over the winter. I am not fussed about the functions and resistance levels, as long as it allows me to do some sort of training!!

I've had no such bad experience from using a trainer. A trainer is not damaging to a wheel. Additionally, a trainer will not wear a tire quickly if the tension is adjusted properly.

sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.

A trainer may chew up the rear skewer. D-ring and plastic coated skewer nuts don't work well in mine, so I bought a cheap skewer just for the trainer. The skewer nut is steel, is round, and has no D-ring so it fits in the trainer clamp much more securely.

A trainer can also chew up the rear tire. I find that slicks work best. Also best if your wheel is as round and true as possible.

I use a Cycle-Ops Fluid trainer. I have not had any problems with wheels. The tire has shown some wear on it, but that is it. As for the problem with the skewer, Cycle-ops sends you one to use with the trainer.

Ron

Skewer, from the clamping mechanism, yes.
Tire, yes. You can see higher than normal wear depending upon the amount of pressure you crank in, and the type of material the roller is made of.
Wheel. Nope. Never seen it, never read about it, never had a customer complain about it.

That employee should have a brain check.