Turbo Trainers

Kevin Munro

Guest
I go to the gym every week day lunchtime and do a mixture of cardio and weights. I want to up my
cardio bigtime as I've got some weight to shift so I'm planning getting a turbo trainer.

I have a cheap mountain bike and I'm looking for a turbo trainer under £100 that will simply help me
sweat away the pounds. I'll put a slick on the mtb.

What's the best for me - fan, magnetic or fluid? Any good places on line where I can buy one? Is it
a good fat-burning strategy, I would class myself as a casual cyclist.

Many thanks, Kevin.

Kevin Munro wrote:

> I go to the gym every week day lunchtime and do a mixture of cardio and weights. I want to up my
> cardio bigtime as I've got some weight to shift so I'm planning getting a turbo trainer.
>
> I have a cheap mountain bike and I'm looking for a turbo trainer under £100 that will simply help
> me sweat away the pounds. I'll put a slick on the mtb.
>
> What's the best for me - fan, magnetic or fluid? Any good places on line where I can buy one? Is
> it a good fat-burning strategy, I would class myself as a casual cyclist.
>
> Many thanks, Kevin.

I bumped into this thread when I was considering one. Worth reading. http://groups.google.com/group-
s?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=9uji6r%24ra7%241%40newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk&rnum=6&prev=/groups%3-
Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3D%2522tacx%2Btrainer%2522%2B%2Bgroup%253Auk.rec.cyc-
ling%2Bgroup%253Auk.rec.cycling%26meta%3Dgroup%253Duk.rec.cycling

davep

> Kevin Munro wondered:

> > What's the best for me - fan, magnetic or fluid? Any good places on
line
> > where I can buy one? Is it a good fat-burning strategy, I would class myself as a casual
> > cyclist.

I use the Taxc Cycleforce Swing mag trainer. Good resistance settings and sturdy construction allows
honking if required. I spend 4 hours per week on it and thoroughly recommend it. I use mine in
conjunction with a fan and a TV/Video combo + TDF vids...highly recommended to relieve boredom!
Wiggle has them cheap but I understand they are grey imports...can't confirm this though. I bought
mine from my LBS who price matched Parkers and threw in a few extras cos they know me!

Paid £120 for unit, front wheel block and sweat protector. TV, Video, films and fan were extra :)

I'm still looking for a good use for the pool of sweat that collects on the floor of my garage
following a good session! Any suggestions...now there's a thread lengthener if ever I saw one!

--
Mark

I bought one from Mike Dyason,£73 I think inc postage.No bells or whistles but does the job
admirably. http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/

Sam Salt

"Kevin Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I go to the gym every week day lunchtime and do a mixture of cardio and weights. I want to up my
> cardio bigtime as I've got some weight to shift
so
> I'm planning getting a turbo trainer.
>
> I have a cheap mountain bike and I'm looking for a turbo trainer under
£100
> that will simply help me sweat away the pounds. I'll put a slick on the mtb.
>
> What's the best for me - fan, magnetic or fluid? Any good places on line where I can buy one? Is
> it a good fat-burning strategy, I would class myself as a casual cyclist.
>
> Many thanks, Kevin.

---

In article <[email protected]>, Peter Connolly
<[email protected]> writes
><snip>
>> I'm planning getting a turbo trainer.
></snip>
>
>The problem I found with Turbo training indoors is boredom (which can be fixed by a telly or radio
>etc), and the ability to get off and give up if I got tired - this can't really be fixed indoors,
>so I got outside on the bike. Now, if I get tired and I'm 10 miles away (I'm not very fit yet!), I
>still need to get back home. It's a great incentive!
>
>They *do* work for some people - I'm just not one of them. But the trainer is great for holding the
>bike up whilst I repair it! :p
>
>Regards,
>
>Pete.

I have a fluid one and think it's pretty good (an Elite Travel Hydroforce) but I've got to agree
with Pete, it is sooooooooo dull and I'd much rather be spinning outdoors. Also fat burning comes
from long steady effort, little fat burnt before 20min ISTR. Long runs outside just fly by for me
and I ain't fit by any means.
--
fred

Kevin Munro wrote:

> What's the best for me - fan, magnetic or fluid?

Tarmac and/or trails

> Any good places on line where I can buy one?

You'll find the local council have probably supplied you with a large road network already, thus
saving you further expense!

As well as getting exercise you won't get nearly so bored and you can actually *go places*. Such as
the gym, and get a workout to and from (if you walk to the gym, put an extra loop in: I took a 10
mile detour to get to Tescos last night as the weather was nice).

Turbos are good if you're a mad keen roadie and can't cycle on nasty winter nights because you don't
have sensible tyres, mudguards or lights, but beyond that they're a way of turning a useful,
enjoyable machine into a stationary boredom generator.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

one thing to consider is getting one that will run on the side of rims...ive never had one, but i
found the one i did have had problems when the wheel wasnt totally round since any dips would cause
a mini-spin, unless it was set on tight to the wheel. but that meant tyres were eaten quickly.

panda

"Kevin Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I go to the gym every week day lunchtime and do a mixture of cardio and weights. I want to up my
> cardio bigtime as I've got some weight to shift
so
> I'm planning getting a turbo trainer.
>
> I have a cheap mountain bike and I'm looking for a turbo trainer under
£100
> that will simply help me sweat away the pounds. I'll put a slick on the mtb.
>
> What's the best for me - fan, magnetic or fluid? Any good places on line where I can buy one? Is
> it a good fat-burning strategy, I would class myself as a casual cyclist.
>
> Many thanks, Kevin.

"Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I bought one from Mike Dyason,£73 I think inc postage.No bells or whistles but does the job
> admirably.

The question is, would bells and whistles liven the experience or merely make it more annoying? :)

cheers, clive

What Panda said, as Kevin indicates he has a mountain bike. If it's still on knobbly tyres, a tyre
driven one will make a bleedin' 'orrible noise.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Turbos are good if you're a mad keen roadie and can't cycle on nasty winter nights because you
> don't have sensible tyres, mudguards or lights,

Or for doing precisely controlled workouts that are difficult to do on the road even in warm sun and
good weather.

--
Dave...

news:<[email protected]>...
> What Panda said, as Kevin indicates he has a mountain bike. If it's still on knobbly tyres, a tyre
> driven one will make a bleedin' 'orrible noise.

He did say he was going to get a slick. I've found a Dawes Super Galaxy with Conti Top Tourings also
makes a dramatic noise especially when surrounded by a room full of turbos carrying serious road
racing bikes. :)

--
Dave...

Dave Kahn wrote:

> He did say he was going to get a slick.

So he did. D'oh! Even the slightly out of round Schwalbe Stelvio on the back of Cosimo the Stealth
Baron makes a bit of a thumping noise, though, so if I had my time over again, I'd be tempted by one
of the rim drive ones.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington wrote:
> Dave Kahn wrote:
>

>>He did say he was going to get a slick.
>

> So he did. D'oh! Even the slightly out of round Schwalbe Stelvio on the back of Cosimo the Stealth
> Baron makes a bit of a thumping noise, though, so if I had my time over again, I'd be tempted by
> one of the rim drive ones.

I've found that the rim drive ones (last two models of Minoura RDA) seem to work a _lot_ better with
700c wheels than 26" wheels, as you don't seem to be able to get a realistic level of resistance
with less than a 52-11 gear on a 700c rim, which is a lot higher gear than any of my mountain bikes
run to. What I would do is keep a 700c wheel with an 11 tooth cog for use with the trainer, if I
only had a mountain bike. But then I would have to not inflate the tyre, so I didn't accidentally
head out for a ride with no rear brakes!

Jim Price

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Turbos are good if you're a mad keen roadie and can't cycle on nasty winter nights because you
> don't have sensible tyres, mudguards or lights, but beyond that they're a way of turning a useful,
> enjoyable machine into a stationary boredom generator.

Agreed - I can think of better ways for road riders to keep in shape at that time of year. But then
a quick look at some of my previous
u.r.c posts ought to realise what sort of activity I'd give a blatant (mud)plug to....

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > Turbos are good if you're a mad keen roadie and can't cycle on nasty winter nights because you
> > don't have sensible tyres, mudguards or lights,
>
> Or for doing precisely controlled workouts that are difficult to do on the road even in warm sun
> and good weather.
>
> --
> Dave...

Exactly.

All depends on the sort of cycling you do..As an active racer, I NEED my turbo during the winter
months otherwise I would never get my 'mileage' in.

--
Mark

On Thu, 8 May 2003 17:36:18 +0100, "Kevin Munro" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I want to up my cardio bigtime as I've got some weight to shift so I'm planning getting a
>turbo trainer.

Ah, those were the days. The Ir ealised that the 30 minutes I spent in the car getting to work could
become 25 minutes of useful cardio
:)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Kevin Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I go to the gym every week day lunchtime and do a mixture of cardio and weights. I want to up my
> cardio bigtime as I've got some weight to shift
so
> I'm planning getting a turbo trainer.
>
> I have a cheap mountain bike and I'm looking for a turbo trainer under
£100
> that will simply help me sweat away the pounds. I'll put a slick on the mtb.

Well, each to his/her own but why would you even consider a turbo at this time of year? I
borrowed one, with a view to purchase, one winter years ago. Gawd, was it boring!!! IMHO it has
nothing to do with my idea of what cycling is all about so I bought a hack and some good lights
instead, much better
:)
They have their uses for people who want or need (for competition) to maintain or increase their
fitness over winter, but this time of year?

If you do get one let me know what you think.

Pete

They do come up regularly on eBay.

A mate of mine has a Tacx which is excellent.

Bos. "Kevin Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I go to the gym every week day lunchtime and do a mixture of cardio and weights. I want to up my
> cardio bigtime as I've got some weight to shift
so
> I'm planning getting a turbo trainer.
>
> I have a cheap mountain bike and I'm looking for a turbo trainer under
£100
> that will simply help me sweat away the pounds. I'll put a slick on the mtb.
>
> What's the best for me - fan, magnetic or fluid? Any good places on line where I can buy one? Is
> it a good fat-burning strategy, I would class myself as a casual cyclist.
>
> Many thanks, Kevin.

I just put my Imagic Upgrade Kit for sale complete with steering frame!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16143&item=3608180668&rd=1

MSA wrote:
> Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>>Turbos are good if you're a mad keen roadie and can't cycle on nasty winter nights because you
>>>don't have sensible tyres, mudguards or lights,
>>
>>Or for doing precisely controlled workouts that are difficult to do on the road even in warm sun
>>and good weather.

> Exactly.
>
> All depends on the sort of cycling you do..As an active racer, I NEED my turbo during the winter
> months otherwise I would never get my 'mileage' in.

i.e., you are a mad keen roadie. That was not meant to be a disparaging remark, btw, just a factual
one designed to put off people who are *not* needing to do serious mileage on minimalist
machinery when the nights draw in to fuel their primary passion of racing.