Turbo trainers

Peter Amey

Guest
Seeking the usual U.R.C collective wisdom. A combination of winter and
some medical treatment I am receiving is likely to greatly reduce my
mileage for the next few months but I want to try and keep fit for when
its all finished. Hence I am thinking of getting a turbo trainer but
know nothing about them.

Quite like the look of this:
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/search.cfm?CID=4&Search=yy6067yy

I will likely attach my old Dawes Galaxy (see "Galaxy Project" here:
http://ccgi.peteramey.plus.com/MyBlog/index.php?cat=2) to whatever I
get. Are 27" wheels and mudguards likely to be an issue? The Dawes
does have QR axles.

Your thoughts appreciated.

regards

Peter

--
www.amey.org.uk

Peter, the Tacx trainers are quite good. I bought a Tacx Cycleforce One and
it does what it's supposed to. However, I had a couple of gripes (not
entirely Tacx gripes, but just regarding trainers really). The bike I used
for it was a Raleigh (not my best bike) and it didn't have a rear QR. If you
don't have a QR spindle, you have to buy separate axle nuts, milled to the
size that sits in the trainer. A bit annoying.

Secondly I promptly realised that the trainer on it's own is incredibly
boring and hence a bit hard to sustain effort on. I bought a Tacx I Magic
just over a month later as I was toling to stay interested otherwise.

Also, the action of the magnetic brake unit in the Tacx is slightly nastier
than fluid resistance units in things like the Cycle ops trainer, which I
think is a better basic unit. But, just as dull to sit on, re point above.

Anyway, after an hour on my trainer earlier, it's fair to say that any if
them are better than riding in the wind and rain.

Good luck.

In article <[email protected]>
Peter Amey <[email protected]> wrote:
> Seeking the usual U.R.C collective wisdom. A combination of winter and
> some medical treatment I am receiving is likely to greatly reduce my
> mileage for the next few months but I want to try and keep fit for when
> its all finished. Hence I am thinking of getting a turbo trainer but
> know nothing about them.

I found turbo trainers incredibly boring - rollers at least require you
to ride the bike, rather than just sit there and pedal. Rollers also
provide amusement when you give your friends a go (as long as there's
nothing breakable nearby).

"Peter Amey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Seeking the usual U.R.C collective wisdom. A combination of winter and
> some medical treatment I am receiving is likely to greatly reduce my
> mileage for the next few months but I want to try and keep fit for when
> its all finished. Hence I am thinking of getting a turbo trainer but know
> nothing about them.

Turbo trainers can be incredibly boring BUT, they have their uses. Hitching
the bike up to the turbo is my son's favoured way of doing his pre-race
warm-up session. Also, if the weather is bad, he'll hook the bike up to the
turbo in the garage - stick some headphones on and listen to his favourite
music whilst doing his training. He'll also take the portable TV out there
and watch a video whilst he's doing a turbo session. They do have their
uses.