Turkey and cutting the legs off.

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Paul, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi all,

    Does anyone have a good recipe for turkey oven cooked with the legs *_off_*?

    I want to add the legs sometime during the cooking, but not at the beginning - I've heard this is
    better, and you get a more evenly cooked bird if you do it this way.

    Any URL's, references or whatever appreciated.

    Paul...

    --
    plinehan y_a_h_o_o and d_o_t com C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro Please do
    not top-post.

    "XML avoids the fundamental question of what we should do, by focusing entirely on how we
    should do it."

    quote from http://www.metatorial.com

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    Paul <[email protected]> writes:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Does anyone have a good recipe for turkey oven cooked with the legs *_off_*?
    >
    >I want to add the legs sometime during the cooking, but not at the beginning - I've heard this is
    >better, and you get a more evenly cooked bird if you do it this way.

    You sadistic sicko bastard!

  3. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Hi all,
    >

    > Does anyone have a good recipe for turkey oven cooked with the legs *_off_*?
    >

    > I want to add the legs sometime during the cooking, but not at the beginning - I've heard this is
    > better, and you get a more evenly cooked bird if you do it this way.
    >

    > Any URL's, references or whatever appreciated.
    >

    > Paul...

    I did this for thanksgiving and it was a big hit. Remove the ligs leaving the thigh and drumstick
    connected. Remove the thigh bone, fill the thigh with stuffing and seal with skewers and string. Use
    a cleaver to cut the knobby end from the drumstick.

    Remove the backbone, wing tips, and the wishbone from the remainder of the bird and use them (along
    with the neck) to make stock for gravy. Mound your stuffing in a greased roasting pan and put the
    breast on top. Put the legs along the side. Brush with oil, sprinkle with S&P, and roast at 350
    basting every 30 min or so. For a 12 pound turkey it will take about 1-1/2 hours. Use a thermometer
    to test for doneness - 170f for the thigh meat, 160-165 for the breast. If the legs get done first
    remove them and keep warm. Yu can use a flat baking sheet to transfer the stuffing,breast mound to a
    serving platter. The thighs can be cut crossways into slices for serving.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  4. Steven Grace

    Steven Grace Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Hi all,
    >

    > Does anyone have a good recipe for turkey oven cooked with the legs *_off_*?
    >

    > I want to add the legs sometime during the cooking, but not at the beginning - I've heard this is
    > better, and you get a more evenly cooked bird if you do it this way.
    >

    > Any URL's, references or whatever appreciated.
    >

    > Paul...

    Jamie Oliver had a recipe for such a dish in the first edition of a new food magazine called
    "Delicious". This is on sale in the UK and my copy is around my partner's house where Xmas dinner
    was prepared. I will try and remember to bring it home and copy out the recipe for you.

    Regards

    Steve