Turn of events.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dave Pace, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

Well as you all know I was going to get a Specialized Allez sport compact from 2011. Well I was just about to finish the payments on it when I saw that they had the Specialized Allez C2 from 2012 on sale for 700.00. It it the red 1 but hey 700.00 for it is dang nice. Does anyone know anything about this bike or has anyone ridden it? I see in all the reviews "Great Beginner bike" But I am looking more towards the handling of it and how the feel is on the road that is rough.

Tags:

2. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Reviews, from magazine sources anyway (either print or online) need to buy into the marketing models to ensure happy sponsors. I'm sure it is a "great beginner" bike, but it is also just a good bike, which happens to be on the low end of the $$ spectrum. The Allez sub brand has always been about going fast on the cheap (relatively speaking anyways).

As far as harshness, simply upping tire size from 23c to 25c does wonderful things. So wonderful in fact I'll probably never ride on 23's again unless I get a great deal or it's all I have on hand.

As for red, it's the only color the Allez should come in.

3. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

So what I am getting is that it is a very good bike for being the low end? Am I understanding you correctly?

4. vspa

vspa Active Member

do you have a link for the C2,i cant find it. the sport compact is a nice bike,

5. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

Yep,

http://shop.tandl.com/bike/specialized-allez-c2-2012/

6. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Personally I'd say yes. In addition, the reduced price of $700 makes it an even better value.

Is this the bike: http://shop.tandl.com/bike/specialized-allez-c2-2012/ ?

It is on the low end of the price range, but I wouldn't call it a "low-end" bike. Aluminum bikes were winning grand tour stages as recently as the 90's. And the C2 wouldn't put you at a disadvantage to any podium result your legs were currently capable of vs. a "high-end" bike. As far as I know it also came as a more expensive model at around $1100 with slightly better parts.

The chassis is that of a bona fide race bike, make no mistake about it.

7. vspa

vspa Active Member

ok looks nice too except for being 8 speed, at this point in time, year 2013, i wouldn't buy anything under 9 speed, they are both nice choices you will do ok, but as a comparison, bikes start getting seriously good with Shimano's 105 - Ultegra - Dura Ace. The same with Sram and Compagnolo, they also have different levels of quality and performance in their groups,

8. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

That's the one I saw. She's a beaut.

9. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

I agree with this somewhat (component-wise) but $700 for a new bike with this frame is a great deal. Many 105 bikes start at $1200, even alu ones.

10. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

Yep that is the 1. But I am getting from the place right around the corner from me.

http://www.tomsprobike.com/complete/complete102212.pdf

They actually have some really great deals IMO. But they are 1 of the 2 or 3 pro bike shops here. Plus i look at it this way. I can upgrade to a 105 group set later on. I just need a new bike were the crank is not consistanly falling apart after 100 miles and will help me do the following rides

http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?fr_id=8603&pg=entry
    and
    http://www.rideforroswell.org/site/c.8gLOK1MELjIYF/b.7941359/k.BF48/Home.htm

And anything beats my 42 LBs bike that I bought from Toys r us.

11. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

I have a 2013 Specialized Allez Compact and made about 700km on its so far (in 3 months).

[​IMG]

Bought this bike after ruling out a CAAD10 from Cannondale (too expensive for the Shimano 105 one) and I didnt want to get a CAAD8 since it was supposed to be more of an "endurance bike" (slightly more upright position). I also didnt want to get a Specialized Secteur (The aluminium version of the endurance "Roubaix" from Specialized). I was also interested in a Trek, but the LBS didnt have Treks and I had it with sending bike parts to other side of the country for repairs...

I got the A1 Aluminium one and not the E5 one. I am not sure what the differences beyond a bit of weight are. I read somewhere that the E5 is Columbus tubes but I havent seen one in the flesh so far. They also make another frame now, the OSBB one, in E5 Aluminium which is even nicer with its oversized headtube. I also read somewhere that the aluminium Allez's have the same stiffness as the carbon Specialized Tarmac ones and the same geometry too and that kinda closed the deal.

Only thing I dont really like about this bike is the gear system. Its not that its not fast enough, the 8 speed Shimano 2300 cassette starts at 11t so its as fast as a 11-x 10 speed one but the plastic coated 2300 Shifters dont look too nice. I am also a bit "sceptical" about putting something nicer on it (above Tiagra) since its not available for A1 aluminium versions. The A1 Aluminium versions are available up to 10 speed Shimano Tiagra (of which I had a look the other day and they look very very good, especially the aluminium shifter-brake levers).

The fork on the 2013 is Aluminium in contrast with the 2012 ones which where carbon fibre with an aluminium steerer. I am not that light (77kg at the moment) and I am a bit "worried" about materials fatigue so I dont mind something that gives some indication prior to braking, like steel and aluminium.

These might be the nicest Allez's, starting with the most expensive one: /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

1. The OSBB E5 one with the Shimano 105 group (there is also a Rival group one)

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/allez/allez-race-rival-midcompact

2. The A1 with the 10-speed Tiagra group (unless somebody tells me whats good about the identical E5 Aluminium bike except the 20grams of weight difference).

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/allez/allezelitemidcompact#specs

3. The A1 compact one with the 2300 group. If you want to change stuff later you will probably end up with a more expensive deal on the parts...

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/allez/allezcompact

As far as for speed and handling the bike is very very good. I am curious about changing the tires for something even more faster. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Handles slight potholes and stuff very well. Keeps speed, climbs easy...

By the way I just saw this one, a $7000 Allez with semi aero wheels... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/allez/allez-pro

12. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

I can definitely work with this frameset. Dave, this one may put you slightly over budget.

[​IMG]

13. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

Yea, just a smidgen over budget. But at that Price, I would have just have gotten this from My Local Bike Shop.
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 (Di2)
    Size: 56
    Color: HTC
    Year made 2011
    MFG Price $9,900.00
    Toms Pro Bike Shop Price $6,999.00

14. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

At this price you could probably get a "Lamborgotti Fasterossa" /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

[​IMG]

15. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

Well in the end, I am just happy that I am getting a real road bike for the rides that I do, and that I will not have to lug this

[​IMG]

45lb monster up a hill again. But it will make for a very good Trainer bike in my basement. Just like it is now. I just cant wait to see what the difference in my times will be from my current bike to the new 1. That is making me feel all kinds of Anxious. Kind of like the end of my high school prom. Giggaddy.

16. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Every time I see a Pina's forks and seat stays, I think of the DeRosa Tango: [​IMG] That's a whole lot of ugly. I'll have neither bike, thank you.

17. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

I think of Salvador Dali

[​IMG]

18. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

The hell happened to that bike? Did it get left in the oven too long?

19. MarkieD

MarkieD New Member

It looks like someone held a hair dryer over the top tube to long.

20. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that there was a designer who had a bit too much vino or was experimenting with psilocybin.