Turn Signals for bikes

BlinkisUB

Nov 27, 2009
Hi,
I was wondering if I could ask you cycling enthusiats a few questions. We are currently developing a product and wanted to get youropinon! If you haven't already understood, I am talking about a turn signal for bikes. We got the idea after realizing how many cyclists were involved in traffic accidents, and how so many drivers get annoyed by the fact that cyclists don't show which way they are turning.

So here is a little survey, and we thank you for taking a few seconds to answer it.

Feel free to leave a little comment or response!
If yes, how much would you be willing to pay for it?
If no, we would appreciate if you told us why.

Regards, Blinkis UB

BlinkisUB said:
Hi,
I was wondering if I could ask you cycling enthusiats a few questions. We are currently developing a product and wanted to get youropinon! If you haven't already understood, I am talking about a turn signal for bikes. We got the idea after realizing how many cyclists were involved in traffic accidents, and how so many drivers get annoyed by the fact that cyclists don't show which way they are turning.

So here is a little survey, and we thank you for taking a few seconds to answer it.

Regards, Blinkis UB

If you ride, you have arms. If you have arms, you have turn signals. Gotta use them.

I hate to use the term "elite" but elite cyclist,those that pride themselves on performance in themselves and the bike they ride look for ways to make the bike lighter and more aero.
They would be more inclinded to pay to take something off the bike rather than install something new.
Hand singals work for me also.
If you could get Contador to use them in the TDF and win again........well, it is just a thought.

BlinkisUB said:
Hi,

I wouldn't use them, unless it was required by law.

The problem with using your arms is that you can't do it at certain speeds or if you are starting up after a traffic light for. If its dark, your arms probably won't be very visible.

This is why we chose to develop this product.
If you have any questions, thoughts or suggestions please feel free!

BlinkisUB said:
The problem with using your arms is that you can't do it at certain speeds or if you are starting up after a traffic light for. If its dark, your arms probably won't be very visible.

This is why we chose to develop this product.
If you have any questions, thoughts or suggestions please feel free!

I can see a case for their use at night, during the day i'm not so sure. Turning is the least of my worries on the bike in traffic during the day. I'd use them on early morning rides to work.

A flasher that detects a momentum change and switches from flashing red to a left or right orange arrow would be perfect.

Flashers front and rear slightly bigger than a LED on short sturdy flexible stalks, all aerodynamic; NO WIRES; and a micro-switch near each grip. The whole package including power supply must fit inside a match box and weigh no more than 10gms.

If you can do that for less than $40 and make them self-cancelling...I rekon you're onto a winner.

How far out will the turning lights be? I think there is opportunity for this forsure with the cycle to work crowd. Most cyclists on here are into competition/performance. I for one would use one during my commute home from work since its dark out than.

I think you should have them sticking out on semi flexible pole like things, (not to far out) with lights on the ends, or you could use a chest strap like mounting device, maybe a clip, one for each shoulder blade.

Really though, theres so many safety devices out there for bicycles IF people would chose to use them. reflective wrist straps would work good for night time turning signals. They even have led straps out now.

Well keep us up to date if you do follow trough with this.

... not everyone is training for the Tour de France.

I think an easy to install (ziptie) system that takes a common voltage (12vdc) and was easy to operate (spring return rocker near thumb) would sell well among commuters. anything that straps to the cyclist won't sell.

There are different classes of cyclists, I suggest you aim for the commuter market.

I would not use the product, but I am not a commuter and I never ride at night. There is probably a market with those who do. Perhaps if we did not have to mount the blinker on our bike we road cyclists would be more inclined. Maybe it could be glove mounted or part of a special glove with the blinker coming on automatically when the hand is raised? That woud also get the blinker farther from the center of the bike. Most of us do not mind removing a hand for a bit.

Another thought as an edit, with the glove idea, it would only work on the back of the hand, so maybe a velcro wrist band with an LED on the front and back of the wrist. You could have a day mode and a night mode, with the night mode with lights on all the time, but blinking by a switch that sensed position when the hand was raised and turned.

BlinkisUB said:
Hi,

Regards, Blinkis UB

Where I'm at, flashers for bikes are illegal...

dabac said:
Where I'm at, flashers for bikes are illegal...

Serious? is it to cold for people to ride at night there? or just not the done thing?

I can see it being a desirable to the right consumer such as your "on your way to work or home" in the early morning or late night like already said above. it wouldn't need to stick out far at all, in fact 2 small LED lights under your seat would work just fine and would be fairly inexpensive.

bianchi10 said:
I can see it being a desirable to the right consumer such as your "on your way to work or home" in the early morning or late night like already said above. it wouldn't need to stick out far at all, in fact 2 small LED lights under your seat would work just fine and would be fairly inexpensive.

I commute home almost every night and I'm the 'survivalist' type commuter who rides all the way to the right. So, I wonder who you are signaling? A cyclist behind you? Don't see it.

They would have to be hands free because there are a lot of times you just can't take your hands of the bars. Big arrows pointing the intended direction might work. That said, I think it would still confuse drivers, unless ALL bikers had them and that's not going to happen anytime soon. Riding in traffic I sometimes have to make last minute changes also.
Stick to tail/headlights lights. Leave the goofy stuff (this) to others

I don't think it would work. First, it's not what drivers would expect. Second, it might be hard to pick out of the background.

Peter@vecchios said:
I commute home almost every night and I'm the 'survivalist' type commuter who rides all the way to the right. So, I wonder who you are signaling? A cyclist behind you? Don't see it.

I wouldn't know because I dont ride in the dark, but I can see that it could appeal to those consumers who aren't so "survivalists". to some this might be an idea that will help them survive. My guess is they would be signaling cars and any kind of traffic behind you, just as you would use your hands in the day time.

I for one would love to have them on my Surly LHT for touring.I think if you make them some of us will but them if they don't cost to much.No more than 60.00 would be great.But they need to be strong made to be able to stand up to touring.If you do end up making them how can I get a set for my Bicycle.This sound like a good idea I say go for it.:D

martinrjensen said:
I'm curious, where are you at that it's illegal to use flashers?

Sweden. They've only recently slackended the law to allow for rear flashing lights. Fronts still have to be fixed.
Anyhow, there are still a bunch of laws designed with that in mind that it shouldn't be possible to misstake a bike for a motorized vehicle, so horns aren't allowed either.

Still, whether you'll get fined for it or not is another question entirely. Do something stupid and they might take you up for that too, behave yourself and you will most likely get away with it.