Turnbull takes the train

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Reported in The Shun, maybe he's just a few steps away from a bike as well ... :) Sheesh, what sort of daily driver + nice commuter gear could Turnbull get for 20K? ;)

    ***********************

    Turnbull gets $20K for transport
    http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18846933%5E1702,00.html

    FEDERAL Liberal MP Malcolm Turnbull has become so fed up with Sydney's traffic congestion he has ditched his taxpayer-funded car and opted for public transport.

    Mr Turnbull has won the right to forgo his car and will instead receive almost $20,000 a year to use on buses, trains, taxis or ferries for his parliamentary, electoral or official business.

    Mr Turnbull's decision came after the Remuneration Tribunal ruled he could get an extra $19,500 in electoral allowance - the tax equivalent to a car and annual running costs - in return for leaving his car at home.

    "You can't park. That's particularly so in the eastern suburbs. I tend to get public transport or a taxi," he said.

    "I'm very committed to the greater use of public transport because, ultimately, we reduce congestion in the cities if people drive their autos less."

    The tribunal's ruling requires Mr Turnbull to keep receipts or copies of tickets to account for his expenses on public transport.

    Previously, MPs using public transport and taxis for business were unable to claim back the cost.

    Mr Turnbull said taxpayers would not be forking out any more than if he had kept his taxpayer-funded car.

    Tags:

  2. Step in the right direction - well done Mr Turnbull!!!!!

    Now, they just have to make PT, bikes, etc availablte under salary
    sacrifice (and FBT free please!!), and it will be even better!!!!!!!

    Abby (dreaming...)

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    often wondered why MPs arent forced to use the very public services they tell us are doing a great job.
    PT, Public Hospitals, Public Schools, etc
    might make them see/experience the horror first-hand...

  4. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-04-18, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

    > Reported in The Shun, maybe he's just a few steps away from a bike as
    > well ... :) Sheesh, what sort of daily driver + nice commuter gear
    > could Turnbull get for 20K? ;)
    >

    > ***********************
    >
    > Turnbull gets $20K for transport
    > http://tinyurl.com/sx82s
    >
    > FEDERAL Liberal MP Malcolm Turnbull has become so fed up with Sydney's
    > traffic congestion he has ditched his taxpayer-funded car and opted for
    > public transport.
    >
    > Mr Turnbull has won the right to forgo his car and will instead receive

    "won the right to forgo his car"?

    > almost $20,000 a year to use on buses, trains, taxis or ferries for his
    > parliamentary, electoral or official business.

    Sweeet! I take it he's going to buy a few hundred yearly tickets, and
    distribute them to his enterage?

    > Previously, MPs using public transport and taxis for business were
    > unable to claim back the cost.

    That was so very bogus. What on Earth led them to have that as a rule
    originally? Thank goodness sanity has prevailed.

    --
    TimC
    Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs. --unknown

  5. cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The tribunal's ruling requires Mr Turnbull to keep receipts or copies
    > of tickets to account for his expenses on public transport.

    That should make interestng viewing as he tries to retrieve a receipt or
    ticket at the automatic vending machine/turnstyles. I suppose they have
    to set up a special MPs lane at Eastern Suburbs railway stations for
    Malcolm and his mates.

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    extra wide, you mean?

    re all this tax stuff, another thing that occurred to me (outting BV bias here...) why not make employees of Not-for-Profit organisations that are clearly contributing/working for the community tax free?
    As many of these org's struggle to compete with commercial workplaces for the best talent, it would be easier to attract em if they could compete on the same level of remunierationif not having to pay their staff tax (or at least a lot less!). These people's contributions would far outweigh the tax revenue not paid to MrCostello in the work they do.

    Oh, and make bikes tax free too :D

  7. Donga

    Donga Guest

    iaijakarta:
    >stupidity

    Please note you are being reported to your employer:

    Please send this form to: Conference Secretary, Traditions
    and Modernity, Department of Architecture, University of
    Tasmania, PO Box 1214, Launceston, Tas. 7250, Australia.

    Ikatan Arsitek Indonesia DKI Jakarta
    Sekretariat: Jakarta Design Center Lt. 6
    Jl. Gatot Subroto 53, Slipi, Jakarta 10260
    Telp. 5304711, 5304719 - Fax 5304711
    BBs 5304719,,77,,77 - email : [email protected]

  8. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    'cause every 'businessman' who currently minimises his tax by using complexes of trusts and companies would cease to pay any tax at all by using not-for-profits*.

    Steve(*grumpy because I have sore foot and cannot ride at the moment)A

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    yers, well of course the boundaries of what is a 'NFP' would be tightened accordingly...

    "Behind every rich man is a fat, nerdy, little accountant who measures everything with numbers. Values will only be attributed thus, hence if you cant label it, you shall not value it"

  10. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-04-18, Donga (aka Bruce)
    > iaijakarta:
    >>stupidity

    > Please note you are being reported to your employer:
    >
    > Please send this form to: Conference Secretary, Traditions
    > and Modernity, Department of Architecture, University of
    > Tasmania, PO Box 1214, Launceston, Tas. 7250, Australia.

    Except that it's Rogger Bratton using a forged email address.

    --
    TimC

  11. Donga

    Donga Guest

    iaijakarta:
    >stupidity

    Please note you are being reported to your employer:

    Please send this form to: Conference Secretary, Traditions
    and Modernity, Department of Architecture, University of
    Tasmania, PO Box 1214, Launceston, Tas. 7250, Australia.

    Ikatan Arsitek Indonesia DKI Jakarta
    Sekretariat: Jakarta Design Center Lt. 6
    Jl. Gatot Subroto 53, Slipi, Jakarta 10260
    Telp. 5304711, 5304719 - Fax 5304711
    BBs 5304719,,77,,77 - email : [email protected]

  12. Donga

    Donga Guest

    TimC:
    >Except that it's Rogger Bratton using a forged email address.

    Have you worked out where he lives?

  13. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Donga wrote:
    > TimC:
    > >Except that it's Rogger Bratton using a forged email address.

    > Have you worked out where he lives?

    Just ignore the twit.

  14. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    google it. he even gets a map!

  15. flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Peter McCallum Wrote:
    > > I suppose they have
    > > to set up a special MPs lane at Eastern Suburbs railway stations for
    > > Malcolm and his mates.
    > >

    > extra wide, you mean?

    Of course, with appropriately coloured leather trim.

    > re all this tax stuff, another thing that occurred to me (outting BV
    > bias here...) why not make employees of Not-for-Profit organisations
    > that are clearly contributing/working for the community tax free?
    > As many of these org's struggle to compete with commercial workplaces
    > for the best talent, it would be easier to attract em if they could
    > compete on the same level of remunierationif not having to pay their
    > staff tax (or at least a lot less!). These people's contributions would
    > far outweigh the tax revenue not paid to MrCostello in the work they
    > do.
    >
    > Oh, and make bikes tax free too :D

    I can see what you mean but I reckon it's mainly the careerists in
    community organisations who demand remuneration that is comparable with
    private companies (or even government). One of the beauties of the
    community sector is that it is democratic and not dominated by
    "professionals".

    Then again there are people working just about full time for community
    organisations for next to nothing because they believe in the cause. If
    the organisations had a bit more money they could probably pay a bit
    more. Some extra grant money could always go a long way.

    It was interesting to see how much the Federal Government "rationalised"
    the Grants to Voluntary Conservation & Heritage Organisations program
    last year. What was a tiny grants program, by federal govt standards,
    became even smaller. It seemed to target the groups that were most vocal
    for the biggest cuts.

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  16. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    change in legislation = more income for lawyers and accountants + more opportunities for new ways to circumvent the rules

    The current superannuation regulatory legislation is called the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act. It is referred to as the 'SIS Act' for short. When it was introduced, it was also known as the 'Solicitors' Income Supplementation Act'!!

    Steve(cynical accountant/lawyer/ex-financial regulator)A

  17. Travis

    Travis Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Peter McCallum Wrote:
    > > I suppose they have
    > > to set up a special MPs lane at Eastern Suburbs railway stations for
    > > Malcolm and his mates.
    > >

    > extra wide, you mean?
    >
    > re all this tax stuff, another thing that occurred to me (outting BV
    > bias here...) why not make employees of Not-for-Profit organisations
    > that are clearly contributing/working for the community tax free?
    > As many of these org's struggle to compete with commercial workplaces
    > for the best talent, it would be easier to attract em if they could
    > compete on the same level of remunierationif not having to pay their
    > staff tax (or at least a lot less!). These people's contributions would
    > far outweigh the tax revenue not paid to MrCostello in the work they
    > do.

    Employees of "public benevolent institutions" already get concessional
    tax treatment, in the form of an exemption on fringe benefits tax up to
    a certain annual limit. Because there is no FBT, anything can be
    salary packaged (tax free), including for example mortgage payments and
    credit card bills.

    Not all N-f-P organisations are treated as full PBIs and there are
    various levels of PBI with different FBT exemption thresholds, but the
    scheme you describe already exists.

    > Oh, and make bikes tax free too :D

    If you're an employee of a PBI, you could package a bike within the
    limit.

    What you probably mean is make them tax free for EVERYONE. I agree
    with that one. :)

    Travis

  18. dewatf

    dewatf Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 03:38:57 GMT, TimC wrote:

    > That was so very bogus. What on Earth led them to have that as a rule
    > originally? Thank goodness sanity has prevailed.

    Because MPs got a car as perk and that was that.

    Why have an FBT system with discounts for cars that increase the more you
    use it yet fully taxes train and bus tickets given to employees?

    Why have a tarif discount on 4WD registered in urban areas?

    There are lots of stupid subsidies around.

    dewatf.

  19. Jack Russell

    Jack Russell Guest

    Absent Husband wrote:
    > Step in the right direction - well done Mr Turnbull!!!!!
    >
    > Now, they just have to make PT, bikes, etc availablte under salary
    > sacrifice (and FBT free please!!), and it will be even better!!!!!!!
    >
    > Abby (dreaming...)

    Are you sure bikes are subject to FBT. I was told motorbikes weren't by
    someone who should know

    --
    Remove norubbish to reply

  20. Travis <[email protected]> wrote:

    > flyingdutch wrote:
    > > Peter McCallum Wrote:
    > > > I suppose they have
    > > > to set up a special MPs lane at Eastern Suburbs railway stations for
    > > > Malcolm and his mates.
    > > >

    > > extra wide, you mean?
    > >
    > > re all this tax stuff, another thing that occurred to me (outting BV
    > > bias here...) why not make employees of Not-for-Profit organisations
    > > that are clearly contributing/working for the community tax free?
    > > As many of these org's struggle to compete with commercial workplaces
    > > for the best talent, it would be easier to attract em if they could
    > > compete on the same level of remunierationif not having to pay their
    > > staff tax (or at least a lot less!). These people's contributions would
    > > far outweigh the tax revenue not paid to MrCostello in the work they
    > > do.

    > Employees of "public benevolent institutions" already get concessional
    > tax treatment, in the form of an exemption on fringe benefits tax up to
    > a certain annual limit. Because there is no FBT, anything can be
    > salary packaged (tax free), including for example mortgage payments and
    > credit card bills.
    >
    > Not all N-f-P organisations are treated as full PBIs and there are
    > various levels of PBI with different FBT exemption thresholds, but the
    > scheme you describe already exists.
    > >
    > > Oh, and make bikes tax free too :D

    > If you're an employee of a PBI, you could package a bike within the
    > limit.
    >
    > What you probably mean is make them tax free for EVERYONE. I agree
    > with that one. :)
    >
    > Travis

    I don't think that BV or any bicycle advocacy group would fit the
    definition of a Public Benevolent Institution (unless it was in the
    business of giving free bicycles to poor people for instance, or
    teaching disabled people to ride).

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA