Turner 5-spot

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dean A. Stepper, Jun 7, 2003.

  1. Any 5-spot owners out there? I am considering one with Romic shock and a Fox Vanilla 125.

    Comments please.

    Tags:

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Any 5-spot owners out there? I am considering one with Romic shock and a Fox Vanilla 125.
    >
    > Comments please.

    I got a 5-Spot a couple of weeks ago. It has a Romic shock (I think all 5-Spots do) and had a Fox
    Vanilla 125 RLC. Halfway through my first ride, the Fox Vanilla started making a clunking noise.

    If the noise had been during high speed runs, then I wouldn't have cared as everything is loud when
    flying down a hill (chain knocking, shock and fork compressing and rebounding noises, etc.). The
    problem was that it made that noise during long, slow climbs. It sounded just like a loose headset.
    It was horrible.

    The LBS first told me that the noise was not normal. Then, after I left my bike to have the fork
    fixed, they told me that Fox said that it was normal. I decided to change to a Marzocchi Z1 FR.

    Man, am I happy. The Z1 is a perfect fit with the Romic. The front and rear feel balanced and I can
    climb even better than before due to the Marz ETA. Superb fork!

    The 5-Spot rides like a dream. It inspires confidence. I find myself going faster than ever before.
    Yesterday, I cleared a climb that I hadn't been able to do before. It's super steep with large roots
    and rocks and ruts. THe 5-Spot seemed to just float over the obstacles....it was great.

    It's definitely the best bike that I've ever been on. I highly recommend
    it.....especially with the Marz Z1 FR.

    Bruce

  3. Thanks Bruce.

    I am having a 5spot built with a Fox 125 Vanilla fork. I have a Fox 125 Vanilla on my I-Drive and am
    very happy with it. It had the knocking you talk about with 100 travel but went away with setup 125.
    Should have it next week.

    "Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Any 5-spot owners out there? I am considering one with Romic shock and
    > > Fox Vanilla 125.
    > >
    > > Comments please.
    > >

    > I got a 5-Spot a couple of weeks ago. It has a Romic shock (I think all 5-Spots do) and had a Fox
    > Vanilla 125 RLC. Halfway through my first ride, the Fox Vanilla started making a clunking noise.
    >
    > If the noise had been during high speed runs, then I wouldn't have cared
    as
    > everything is loud when flying down a hill (chain knocking, shock and fork compressing and
    > rebounding noises, etc.). The problem was that it made
    that
    > noise during long, slow climbs. It sounded just like a loose headset. It was horrible.
    >
    > The LBS first told me that the noise was not normal. Then, after I left
    my
    > bike to have the fork fixed, they told me that Fox said that it was
    normal.
    > I decided to change to a Marzocchi Z1 FR.
    >
    > Man, am I happy. The Z1 is a perfect fit with the Romic. The front and rear feel balanced and I
    > can climb even better than before due to the Marz ETA. Superb fork!
    >
    > The 5-Spot rides like a dream. It inspires confidence. I find myself
    going
    > faster than ever before. Yesterday, I cleared a climb that I hadn't been able to do before. It's
    > super steep with large roots and rocks and ruts. THe 5-Spot seemed to just float over the
    > obstacles....it was great.
    >
    > It's definitely the best bike that I've ever been on. I highly recommend
    > it.....especially with the Marz Z1 FR.
    >
    > Bruce

  4. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:34:01 -0700, Dean A. Stepper wrote:

    > Thanks Bruce.
    >
    > I am having a 5spot built with a Fox 125 Vanilla fork. I have a Fox 125 Vanilla on my I-Drive and
    > am very happy with it. It had the knocking you talk about with 100 travel but went away with setup
    > 125. Should have it next week.

    My friends fox 125 was doing this, he went through a runaround at the LBS, finally fox said it wasa
    defect in some models. He sent it in, it's been quiet ever since.

    - The other Bruce.