Turner 5-spot

• Thread starter Dean A. Stepper
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dean A. Stepper

Any 5-spot owners out there? I am considering one with Romic shock and a Fox Vanilla 125.

Comments please.

"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:iIzEa.57127$hd6.22617@fed1read05...
> Any 5-spot owners out there? I am considering one with Romic shock and a Fox Vanilla 125.
>
> Comments please.
>
>
I got a 5-Spot a couple of weeks ago. It has a Romic shock (I think all 5-Spots do) and had a Fox
Vanilla 125 RLC. Halfway through my first ride, the Fox Vanilla started making a clunking noise.

If the noise had been during high speed runs, then I wouldn't have cared as everything is loud when
flying down a hill (chain knocking, shock and fork compressing and rebounding noises, etc.). The
problem was that it made that noise during long, slow climbs. It sounded just like a loose headset.
It was horrible.

The LBS first told me that the noise was not normal. Then, after I left my bike to have the fork
fixed, they told me that Fox said that it was normal. I decided to change to a Marzocchi Z1 FR.

Man, am I happy. The Z1 is a perfect fit with the Romic. The front and rear feel balanced and I can
climb even better than before due to the Marz ETA. Superb fork!

The 5-Spot rides like a dream. It inspires confidence. I find myself going faster than ever before.
Yesterday, I cleared a climb that I hadn't been able to do before. It's super steep with large roots
and rocks and ruts. THe 5-Spot seemed to just float over the obstacles....it was great.

It's definitely the best bike that I've ever been on. I highly recommend
it.....especially with the Marz Z1 FR.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.

I am having a 5spot built with a Fox 125 Vanilla fork. I have a Fox 125 Vanilla on my I-Drive and am
very happy with it. It had the knocking you talk about with 100 travel but went away with setup 125.
Should have it next week.

"Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:iIzEa.57127$hd6.22617@fed1read05...
> > Any 5-spot owners out there? I am considering one with Romic shock and
a
> > Fox Vanilla 125.
> >
> > Comments please.
> >
> >
> I got a 5-Spot a couple of weeks ago. It has a Romic shock (I think all 5-Spots do) and had a Fox
> Vanilla 125 RLC. Halfway through my first ride, the Fox Vanilla started making a clunking noise.
>
> If the noise had been during high speed runs, then I wouldn't have cared
as
> everything is loud when flying down a hill (chain knocking, shock and fork compressing and
> rebounding noises, etc.). The problem was that it made
that
> noise during long, slow climbs. It sounded just like a loose headset. It was horrible.
>
> The LBS first told me that the noise was not normal. Then, after I left
my
> bike to have the fork fixed, they told me that Fox said that it was
normal.
> I decided to change to a Marzocchi Z1 FR.
>
> Man, am I happy. The Z1 is a perfect fit with the Romic. The front and rear feel balanced and I
> can climb even better than before due to the Marz ETA. Superb fork!
>
> The 5-Spot rides like a dream. It inspires confidence. I find myself
going
> faster than ever before. Yesterday, I cleared a climb that I hadn't been able to do before. It's
> super steep with large roots and rocks and ruts. THe 5-Spot seemed to just float over the
> obstacles....it was great.
>
> It's definitely the best bike that I've ever been on. I highly recommend
> it.....especially with the Marz Z1 FR.
>
> Bruce

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:34:01 -0700, Dean A. Stepper wrote:

> Thanks Bruce.
>
> I am having a 5spot built with a Fox 125 Vanilla fork. I have a Fox 125 Vanilla on my I-Drive and
> am very happy with it. It had the knocking you talk about with 100 travel but went away with setup
> 125. Should have it next week.
>

My friends fox 125 was doing this, he went through a runaround at the LBS, finally fox said it wasa
defect in some models. He sent it in, it's been quiet ever since.

- The other Bruce.

Status
Not open for further replies.