Turner 5-spot

Dean A. Stepper

Guest
Any 5-spot owners out there? I am considering one with Romic shock and a Fox Vanilla 125.

Comments please.

"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:iIzEa.57127$hd6.22617@fed1read05...
> Any 5-spot owners out there? I am considering one with Romic shock and a Fox Vanilla 125.
>
> Comments please.

I got a 5-Spot a couple of weeks ago. It has a Romic shock (I think all 5-Spots do) and had a Fox
Vanilla 125 RLC. Halfway through my first ride, the Fox Vanilla started making a clunking noise.

If the noise had been during high speed runs, then I wouldn't have cared as everything is loud when
flying down a hill (chain knocking, shock and fork compressing and rebounding noises, etc.). The
problem was that it made that noise during long, slow climbs. It sounded just like a loose headset.
It was horrible.

The LBS first told me that the noise was not normal. Then, after I left my bike to have the fork
fixed, they told me that Fox said that it was normal. I decided to change to a Marzocchi Z1 FR.

Man, am I happy. The Z1 is a perfect fit with the Romic. The front and rear feel balanced and I can
climb even better than before due to the Marz ETA. Superb fork!

The 5-Spot rides like a dream. It inspires confidence. I find myself going faster than ever before.
Yesterday, I cleared a climb that I hadn't been able to do before. It's super steep with large roots
and rocks and ruts. THe 5-Spot seemed to just float over the obstacles....it was great.

It's definitely the best bike that I've ever been on. I highly recommend
it.....especially with the Marz Z1 FR.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.

I am having a 5spot built with a Fox 125 Vanilla fork. I have a Fox 125 Vanilla on my I-Drive and am
very happy with it. It had the knocking you talk about with 100 travel but went away with setup 125.
Should have it next week.

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:34:01 -0700, Dean A. Stepper wrote:

> Thanks Bruce.
>
> I am having a 5spot built with a Fox 125 Vanilla fork. I have a Fox 125 Vanilla on my I-Drive and
> am very happy with it. It had the knocking you talk about with 100 travel but went away with setup
> 125. Should have it next week.

My friends fox 125 was doing this, he went through a runaround at the LBS, finally fox said it wasa
defect in some models. He sent it in, it's been quiet ever since.

- The other Bruce.