Turner 5 Spot

mtb_dude

Guest
Anyone ridden the new 5 Spot? Is it as good as the old one, or one to be
avoided?

Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> "mtb_dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Anyone ridden the new 5 Spot? Is it as good as the old one, or one to be
>>avoided?
>>

> Same bike..don't fall for the TNT vs Horst Link hype.

********. There's a huge difference in performance between the two.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

G.T. wrote:
> Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> > "mtb_dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>Anyone ridden the new 5 Spot? Is it as good as the old one, or one to be
> >>avoided?
> >>

> > Same bike..don't fall for the TNT vs Horst Link hype.
> >

> ********. There's a huge difference in performance between the two.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> "All my time I spent in heaven
> Revelries of dance and wine
> Waking to the sound of laughter
> Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

Oh oh....

Think I'll put some popcorn in the microwave.

/s

Scott Gordo wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>> Dean A. Stepper wrote:
>>> "mtb_dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Same bike..don't fall for the TNT vs Horst Link hype.
>>>

>> ********. There's a huge difference in performance between the two.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> --
>> "All my time I spent in heaven
>> Revelries of dance and wine
>> Waking to the sound of laughter
>> Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

> Oh oh....
>
> Think I'll put some popcorn in the microwave.

Put in the extra-large one for me.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> ********. There's a huge difference in performance between the two.

- I am inclined to think so too. But is it true? What difference do you
think it makes?

Of course Turner would not admit if the new design was less good as they
would lose on it.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:45:11 -0700, Per Löwdin <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> ********. There's a huge difference in performance between the two.

> - I am inclined to think so too. But is it true? What difference do you
> think it makes?
>
> Of course Turner would not admit if the new design was less good as they
> would lose on it.
>
> Per
> http://lowdin.nu

Read how and why Mr. Leitner invented it and you'll understand
http://www.amp-research.com/prove/news_detail.asp?id=73
_____
Slack

"Slack" <ack@eat_this.org> skrev i meddelandet
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:45:11 -0700, Per Löwdin <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>> ********. There's a huge difference in performance between the two.

>> - I am inclined to think so too. But is it true? What difference do you
>> think it makes?
>>
>> Of course Turner would not admit if the new design was less good as they
>> would lose on it.
>>
>> Per
>> http://lowdin.nu
>>

> Read how and why Mr. Leitner invented it and you'll understand
> http://www.amp-research.com/prove/news_detail.asp?id=73

Well, I ride a Titus Switchblade that has a horst-link, so I am familiar
with its advantages. However, now Turner claims they make just as good bikes
without horstlinks. Considering Turner?s history it has some weight. Or is
it a marketing scam?

Per
http://lowdin.nu

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:18:03 -0700, Per Löwdin <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Slack" <ack@eat_this.org> skrev i meddelandet

>>> - I am inclined to think so too. But is it true? What difference do you
>>> think it makes?
>>>
>>> Of course Turner would not admit if the new design was less good as
>>> they
>>> would lose on it.
>>>
>>> Per
>>> http://lowdin.nu
>>>

>> Read how and why Mr. Leitner invented it and you'll understand
>> http://www.amp-research.com/prove/news_detail.asp?id=73

> Well, I ride a Titus Switchblade that has a horst-link, so I am familiar
> with its advantages. However, now Turner claims they make just as good
> bikes
> without horstlinks. Considering Turner?s history it has some weight. Or
> is
> it a marketing scam?
>
> Per
> http://lowdin.nu

I understand what you are saying. I've talked to Turner a couple of times
about their frame design, not the 5 spot, and they were very open & honest
about it. But everyone has their limits regarding disclosure; I suspect
there's a little legitimacy mixed in with the marketing.
_____
Slack

Slack wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:18:03 -0700, Per Löwdin <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > "Slack" <ack@eat_this.org> skrev i meddelandet

> >> Read how and why Mr. Leitner invented it and you'll understand
> >> http://www.amp-research.com/prove/news_detail.asp?id=73

> > Well, I ride a Titus Switchblade that has a horst-link, so I am familiar
> > with its advantages. However, now Turner claims they make just as good
> > bikes
> > without horstlinks. Considering Turner?s history it has some weight. Or
> > is
> > it a marketing scam?
> >
> > Per
> > http://lowdin.nu
> >

> I understand what you are saying. I've talked to Turner a couple of times
> about their frame design, not the 5 spot, and they were very open & honest
> about it. But everyone has their limits regarding disclosure; I suspect
> there's a little legitimacy mixed in with the marketing.
> _____
> Slack

Is Turner's design substantially different from Kona's or RM's or any
of the multitude of companies that use a non-Horst link 4-bar? Is he
claiming that the Progressive-type shocks are closing the performance
gap, as it seems to have done for single-pivot designs?

/s

"Non horst link 4 bar" is a very fancy way of saying "single pivot".
The new Turner, like most Konas, is a single pivot design. It might
have a very fancy shock linkage, but there is only one pivot between
bottom bracket and rear axle.

I liked the bike Scott made, which had interchangeable rear dropout
assemblies that could be switched between a Horst and non-Horst design.
(They sold the single pvot version in the USA, and the Horst design in
the rest of the world where Specialized's patent lawyers can't reach).
I'm sure that Turner could have done a similar thing if he had any
sales outside America.

"sunderland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Non horst link 4 bar" is a very fancy way of saying "single pivot".
> The new Turner, like most Konas, is a single pivot design. It might
> have a very fancy shock linkage, but there is only one pivot between
> bottom bracket and rear axle.
>
> I liked the bike Scott made, which had interchangeable rear dropout
> assemblies that could be switched between a Horst and non-Horst design.
> (They sold the single pvot version in the USA, and the Horst design in
> the rest of the world where Specialized's patent lawyers can't reach).
> I'm sure that Turner could have done a similar thing if he had any
> sales outside America.

This whole topic has been discussed on and on the MTBR Turner board by
people that have spent time on both designs. The conscience is that they
can not tell the difference. I have ridden both and own a older 5-Spot and
I felt no difference. Maybe someone that rides hard and pushes a bike to
it's extreme might tell a difference.

> I liked the bike Scott made, which had interchangeable rear dropout
> assemblies that could be switched between a Horst and non-Horst design.
> (They sold the single pvot version in the USA, and the Horst design in
> the rest of the world where Specialized's patent lawyers can't reach).
> I'm sure that Turner could have done a similar thing if he had any
> sales outside America.

Our LBS lent me a Scott for a weekend to test. I never got it set right, it
had a Manitou black fork that was to hard and boingy, and a saddle that was
a crime against humanity. Still, I think Scott is really interesting. They
bet a lot on research and some day they might come up with something really
brilliant design

From what I understand it is Ellsworth that has stopped Turner from using
the horst link, something to do with their paten ICR or whatever they call
it.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin wrote:
> From what I understand it is Ellsworth that has stopped Turner from using
> the horst link, something to do with their paten ICR or whatever they call
> it.

ICT ((Instant Center Tracking).

My understanding is that Dave Turner had to pay Tony Ellsworth a small
royalty on each bike sold. The number I heard bandied about was less
than $15 (but I may be way off), so we aren't talking about a ton of
dough here. Maybe it just grated on Dave to pay Tony anything.

I've just ridden them both and cannot tell the difference.

So its a new 5 Spot then

Thanks for the comments