Turner Fivespot or SantaCruz Heckler?

Daz

Guest
Hi,

I'm about to change my bike and can't decide which one of these frames to
buy?

I owned the original Turner Burner and didn't have much luck with it, the
frame got a hairline crack around the bottom bracket and it took me months
to get it sorted out.

My Heckler was a nice bike but the older version with only 3.5" travel.

So I'm changing from a hardtail to either of these frames, is the Turner
worth the extra money? I know they both have superb reviews and perhaps the
Turner is a little bit more exotic...

Thanks

Daz

Daz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to change my bike and can't decide which one of these frames to
> buy?
>
> I owned the original Turner Burner and didn't have much luck with it, the
> frame got a hairline crack around the bottom bracket and it took me months
> to get it sorted out.
>
> My Heckler was a nice bike but the older version with only 3.5" travel.
>
> So I'm changing from a hardtail to either of these frames, is the Turner
> worth the extra money? I know they both have superb reviews and perhaps the
> Turner is a little bit more exotic...
>
> Thanks
>
> Daz

While I don't particularly like the Faux Bar Single Pivot of the new
Five Spot, quality wise there is no comparison. Turner.

Why not look at Ventana? If you are going to spend that kind of $$$,
it's in your price range.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Daz wrote:
> My Heckler was a nice bike but the older version with only 3.5" travel.

What bikes did you demo before determining the heckler was a nice bike?
It's all relative. If I had a walmart bike and had never ridden a
better bike, I could call it a "nice bike".

JD

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> While I don't particularly like the Faux Bar Single Pivot of the new
> Five Spot, quality wise there is no comparison. Turner.
>
> Why not look at Ventana? If you are going to spend that kind of $$$,
> it's in your price range.

How is the Faux Bar suspension design of the Turner different from the
Ventana design?
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

Craig Brossman wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> While I don't particularly like the Faux Bar Single Pivot of the new
>> Five Spot, quality wise there is no comparison. Turner.
>>
>> Why not look at Ventana? If you are going to spend that kind of $$$,
>> it's in your price range.
>>

> How is the Faux Bar suspension design of the Turner different from the
> Ventana design?

I'm not going to get into the engineering differences. You can google
that yourself (+difference +four +bar +single +pivot).

The four bar system on the Ventana is similar (yet different enough not
to pay royalties) to the Horst or VPP. Short story, it makes climbing
more efficient (or at least supposed to) and reduces brake jack.

Without the Horst Link, the 4 bar linkage becomes a faux bar - the rear
axle is on the same beam as the main pivot, essentially like a dressed
up single pivot bike. Can you say bouncy?

Now some people don't mind the single pivot, heck I even think Ventana
still makes a SP design and the SC Heckler is a single pivot.

It all comes down to what you like and having tried and owned both
designs, I find the four bar to be more efficient for me.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Craig Brossman wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>> While I don't particularly like the Faux Bar Single Pivot of the new
>>> Five Spot, quality wise there is no comparison. Turner.
>>>
>>> Why not look at Ventana? If you are going to spend that kind of $$$,
>>> it's in your price range.
>>>

>> How is the Faux Bar suspension design of the Turner different from the
>> Ventana design?

> I'm not going to get into the engineering differences. You can google
> that yourself (+difference +four +bar +single +pivot).
>
> The four bar system on the Ventana is similar (yet different enough not
> to pay royalties) to the Horst or VPP. Short story, it makes climbing
> more efficient (or at least supposed to) and reduces brake jack.
>
> Without the Horst Link, the 4 bar linkage becomes a faux bar - the rear
> axle is on the same beam as the main pivot, essentially like a dressed
> up single pivot bike. Can you say bouncy?
>
> Now some people don't mind the single pivot, heck I even think Ventana
> still makes a SP design and the SC Heckler is a single pivot.
>
> It all comes down to what you like and having tried and owned both
> designs, I find the four bar to be more efficient for me.

R-A-L,
I believe you are mistaken. The Ventana (which I own one) is a Faux Bar,
the rear pivot is on the seat stay, rather than the chain stay. With the
rear pivot both below and in front of the rear axle, the bike is a Horst
Link, like the Titus, which my lovely wife owns.

The new Turner design (or TNT) is similar to the Ventana, the rear pivot
is on the seat stay.

Having never ridden a Turner, and not caring all that much, I can't
comment on the other very tangible differences in design, but they are
roughly the same faux bar design. I do know that others have argued that
as the rear pivot moves closer to the rear axle, the differences between
Faux bar and horst link begin to disappear. I will also say that I like
the way my Ventana El Saltamontes climbs, and since I live in Durango,
which is all about climbing, I feel I have some real world knowledge
behind this statement.

Having been a jerk and trying to correct you (perhaps incorrectly) in a
public forum, I agree with your intent. Look at the Ventana, as well as
the Turner. My Ventana has been a great bike for 3 hard years. I cannot
imagine having to replace it with another F.S. anytime soon.

I have riding partners replacing frames, pivots, pivot bolts ... but not
me. Only the components, which I guess I can blame on the frame. If the
frame felt a bit less stable and sturdy, I would probably ride less
hard. If I rode less hard, the bolt-ons would have a better chance of
surviving.
--

Craig Brossman wrote:

> R-A-L,
> I believe you are mistaken. The Ventana (which I own one) is a Faux Bar,
> the rear pivot is on the seat stay, rather than the chain stay. With the
> rear pivot both below and in front of the rear axle, the bike is a Horst
> Link, like the Titus, which my lovely wife owns.
>
> The new Turner design (or TNT) is similar to the Ventana, the rear pivot
> is on the seat stay.
>
> Having never ridden a Turner, and not caring all that much, I can't
> comment on the other very tangible differences in design, but they are
> roughly the same faux bar design. I do know that others have argued that
> as the rear pivot moves closer to the rear axle, the differences between
> Faux bar and horst link begin to disappear. I will also say that I like
> the way my Ventana El Saltamontes climbs, and since I live in Durango,
> which is all about climbing, I feel I have some real world knowledge
> behind this statement.
>
> Having been a jerk and trying to correct you (perhaps incorrectly) in a
> public forum, I agree with your intent. Look at the Ventana, as well as
> the Turner. My Ventana has been a great bike for 3 hard years. I cannot
> imagine having to replace it with another F.S. anytime soon.
>
> I have riding partners replacing frames, pivots, pivot bolts ... but not
> me. Only the components, which I guess I can blame on the frame. If the
> frame felt a bit less stable and sturdy, I would probably ride less
> hard. If I rode less hard, the bolt-ons would have a better chance of
> surviving.

You are not being a jerk. If I am wring, then so be it. I only learn
from what I read or others tell me. I'm not an engineer. I will agree
with you, even my heavier (than your Salti) X-5 is a damn good climer,
though not nearly as good as the Racer-X.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

> You are not being a jerk. If I am wring, then so be it. I only learn
> from what I read or others tell me. I'm not an engineer. I will agree
> with you, even my heavier (than your Salti) X-5 is a damn good climer,
> though not nearly as good as the Racer-X.

You're not an engineer? You're FREAKING NOT EVEN A MTBer!!

Get off this NG and goto road-bikers!!

> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > While I don't particularly like the Faux Bar Single Pivot of the new
> > Five Spot, quality wise there is no comparison. Turner.
> >
> > Why not look at Ventana? If you are going to spend that kind of $$$,
> > it's in your price range.
> >

> How is the Faux Bar suspension design of the Turner different from the
> Ventana design?

Since the 5 Spot no longer has a suspension advantage over the X-5 and the
X-5 has superior standover clearance I go with the X-5 now.

Greg
--
"What have you got in that paper bag?
Is it a dose of Vitamin C?

G.T. wrote:
> "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>> While I don't particularly like the Faux Bar Single Pivot of the new
>>> Five Spot, quality wise there is no comparison. Turner.
>>>
>>> Why not look at Ventana? If you are going to spend that kind of $$$,
>>> it's in your price range.
>>>

>> How is the Faux Bar suspension design of the Turner different from the
>> Ventana design?

> Since the 5 Spot no longer has a suspension advantage over the X-5 and the
> X-5 has superior standover clearance I go with the X-5 now.
>
> Greg

You didn't think I meant the 5 Spot ever had a suspension advantage, did
you? Only different prior to this year.

--

Craig Brossman wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>> "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> How is the Faux Bar suspension design of the Turner different from the
>>> Ventana design?

>> Since the 5 Spot no longer has a suspension advantage over the X-5 and
>> the
>> X-5 has superior standover clearance I go with the X-5 now.
>>
>> Greg

> You didn't think I meant the 5 Spot ever had a suspension advantage, did
> you?

No, I did and do.

> Only different prior to this year.

Yes, I have a 2004. And since there is no longer an advantage over the
X-5 I would get the X-5 at this point.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven