turning every time he pedals...

refuze

Guest
so my roomate and i went out to ride today and he is just learning on a
nw 20"sun that i got him for xmas, while i was learning how to hop onto
a curb on my new nimbus X my girlfriends mom got me for Xmas.... any
way he cant seem to keep his uni straight... everytime he pedals the
uni turns towards the pedal he is pushing down on... and he cant seem
to stop doing this... i never had this problem so i didnt really know
what to tell him..... what is he doing wrong and what can he do to fix
this? thanks.. by the way today i finnaly hopped up onto a curb!!!! and
i can free mount wwith my lft and right foot... as well as side free
mount! i have yet to be able to ride backwards more then 5 revs... and
i also cant idle more the 5 or 6 times.... and everytime i try to ride
one footed... i fall off as soon as the pedal is at the top of its
rotation:/

--
refuze
refuze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11254

First of all, how did you get a unicycle from your girlfriends mom?

I think your roomate is puting too much pressure on the pedals and not
enough on the seat. Tell him to keep all his weight on the seat, and I
think the problem may go away after a while.

--
Spudman

*| B B|* This space owned by Fly ':cool:'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php)
*| I O |* This space owned by Frees*TYLER!*
*| L A |* *MERCYME owns this space!!!* . . . . . . . .
.. . . . . . .*X* <--Chosen's spot
*| L R |* This space owned by unijesse
*|__'-' (www.selectric.org)____'D'
(http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html)___|* This space
rendered by forrest
Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

refuze wrote:
> so my roomate and i went out to ride today and he is just learning on a
> nw 20"sun that i got him for xmas, while i was learning how to hop onto
> a curb on my new nimbus X my girlfriends mom got me for Xmas.... any
> way he cant seem to keep his uni straight... everytime he pedals the
> uni turns towards the pedal he is pushing down on... and he cant seem
> to stop doing this... i never had this problem so i didnt really know
> what to tell him..... what is he doing wrong and what can he do to fix
> this?

If he is just learning, it's not a big deal. It's far more important
that he just stay on and have fun riding. In truth, it may be a good
sign that he is relaxed and flexible in the hips. Those
characteristics will be very beneficial later on.

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

I want to say practice, but I'm not sure... A friend of mine does the
same thing, if you look at the BUUC Fall 2005 Movie (Yes, a shameless
plug, and it can be found through my signature link ;)) you can see
Tom's tracks are very wavy in the snow... almost like a sine wave...

--
evil-nick

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
remain.

* Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

My gallery:
http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
Our Club:
http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/
evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

Spudman wrote:
> First of all, how did you get a unicycle from your girlfriends mom?
>
> I think your roomate is puting too much pressure on the pedals and not
> enough on the seat. Tell him to keep all his weight on the seat, and I
> think the problem may go away after a while.

well my girl and i have been together for about 4 years.. so she is
kinda like my mom... and im awesome hahaha!!!

and thanks everyone for the feed back ill tell him to put more wieght
on the seat! even though i said to keep even amounts of presure on the
pedals... he was doing much better on mine and i have 114mm cranks and
his i think are 127's??? i dont know i could be wrong about that but he
was doing better on mine.

--
refuze
refuze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11254

If the shorter cranks made the problem less obvious (as you seem to be
saying) then that is entirely consistent with the suggestion your
friend has too much weight on his feet and not enough on his seat.

Make sure his seat is high enough. Many beginners put the seat too
low.

Tell him to ride with his weight firmly in the seat.

Also tell him to look a long distance ahead, and not at the floor a
couple of metres in front of him. Look where you're going and you go
there. Target fixation: it can be a benefit in some cases, and
disastrous in others. In this particular case, it will help.

--
Mikefule

"The good life is the life inspired by love and informed by knowledge."

Russell