Turning/exits lanes on the right

simonaway427

Apr 5, 2010
I'm starting to do a lot more commuting on my bike these days and I have a question.

What's the rules/etiquette when you encounter a right hand turning lane (for turning onto a street or parking lot for example) and you want to go straight?

Do you remain on the far right towards the curb, thereby entering the turning lane, then continue straight? Or do you remain on the far right of the thru traffic lane?

The reason I ask is I assume you remain on the right of the thru traffic lane, but while I did this, a car passed me on the left while another did so on the right as it entered to the turn lane, and it was a very un-nerving squeeze being trapped between two cars.

what's the scoop?

simonaway427 said:
I'm starting to do a lot more commuting on my bike these days and I have a question.

What's the rules/etiquette when you encounter a right hand turning lane (for turning onto a street or parking lot for example) and you want to go straight?

Do you remain on the far right towards the curb, thereby entering the turning lane, then continue straight? Or do you remain on the far right of the thru traffic lane?

The reason I ask is I assume you remain on the right of the thru traffic lane, but while I did this, a car passed me on the left while another did so on the right as it entered to the turn lane, and it was a very un-nerving squeeze being trapped between two cars.

what's the scoop?

You did the correct thing, although there are times when you need to move farther out in the center of the through lane to avoid being sandwiched like that.

In other words, don't leave any room for a car to pass you on the left in the same lane you are riding in. Make them change lanes to pass you.

You will sometimes hear cyclists refer to this as "taking the lane".

I don't have to do this very often on my rides, but I do have a couple of left hand turns where I get right in the middle of the lane, just to make it very obvious to cars following me that they can't pass.

Situational awareness and riding defensively are important to keeping yourself safe when riding in traffic. Be aware of what is happening behind you as well as what is happening in front of you, so you can do the right things to avoid a bad situation.

For example, today I was riding and I saw several cars coming up behind me in my mirror. Ahead was an intersection where a lot of cars usually take the right turn lane onto the freeway, but some do go straight. I decided not to get myself into the middle of that mix and slowed down so they all passed me well before the intersection.

I use my average speed on my rides to see how I am improving, and slowing down like that doesn't help my average, but to me sometimes it's the easiest way to deal with traffic.

And there are times when I will sprint to make it through a traffic light so I don't have to mix in with a herd of cars, so maybe it evens out a little.

I just read my reply and it sounds kinda preachy. I don't mean it to be that way, defensive cycling is an important subject to me and I get a little wordy....