TV Alert - Tour of Langkawi C4 1.40am

Steve

Guest
Just noticed in the paper:

Tour of Langkawi Channel 4 Tonight 1.40-2.05am TV Plus 9638454

A rare chance to watch cycling on the TV for the non Eurosporters like me.

Steve

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just noticed in the paper:
>
> Tour of Langkawi Channel 4 Tonight 1.40-2.05am TV Plus 9638454
>
> A rare chance to watch cycling on the TV for the non Eurosporters like me.
>
> Steve

Yeh saw it, pity there wasn't a rider I knew the name of. However, it was nice to see the "old
crowd" Ligget, Sherwen etc, back on telly.

I often wonder if C4 regrets putting the other **** on, most of it was cancelled. Imagine, a game
that stops because its cloudy, let alone rains.

I still say cycling is one of the most visually stunning and colourful sports you can get.

Trust me to live in this bloody country, (answer = money) before I get roasted.

"Neil D" <n**@NOmail.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I still say cycling is one of the most visually stunning and colourful sports you can get.

Agreed. What could be more entertaining than a Madison, for example? And when did you last see one
on analogue TV?

--
Dave...

> Yeh saw it, pity there wasn't a rider I knew the name of. However, it was nice to see the "old
> crowd" Ligget, Sherwen etc, back on telly.

Not wishing to spoil things for you... but Stuart O'Grady will feature in latter stages of the race.
And look out for Luciano Pagliarini. You may not have heard of him before The TdL..but he's
certainly a name to remember for the future!!

Jan ( Who's just returned from Malaysia.. and was fortunate to be at all stages of the TdL ).

---

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Yeh saw it, pity there wasn't a rider I knew the name of. However, it was nice to see the "old
> > crowd" Ligget, Sherwen etc, back on telly.
> >

> Not wishing to spoil things for you... but Stuart O'Grady will feature in latter stages of the
> race. And look out for Luciano Pagliarini. You may not have heard of him before The TdL..but he's
> certainly a name to remember for the future!!
>
> Jan ( Who's just returned from Malaysia.. and was fortunate to be at all
stages
> of the TdL ).

I knew I'd cocked up as soon as I started to watch the full recording.

Ok, but apart from Stuart O'Grady, Luciano Pagliarini and Gordon Fraser, who else was there that's
known here?

Sounds like a Monty Python sketch.

Welcome home

Neil D wrote:
> "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>> Yeh saw it, pity there wasn't a rider I knew the name of. However, it was nice to see the "old
>>> crowd" Ligget, Sherwen etc, back on telly.
>>>

>> Not wishing to spoil things for you... but Stuart O'Grady will feature in latter stages of the
>> race. And look out for Luciano Pagliarini. You may not have heard of him before The TdL..but he's
>> certainly a name to remember for the future!!
>>
>> Jan ( Who's just returned from Malaysia.. and was fortunate to be at all stages of the TdL ).
>>

> I knew I'd cocked up as soon as I started to watch the full recording.
>
> Ok, but apart from Stuart O'Grady, Luciano Pagliarini and Gordon Fraser, who else was there that's
> known here?
>
> Sounds like a Monty Python sketch.
>
> Welcome home

A lot of the riders I associate only with the TdL iyswim. More & more well known names appear each
year. Mapai always sent a strong team, and were missed this year ( no Robbie Hunter) but AndreaTafi
did visit as a guest- and he's very popular with Malaysian cycle fans).

So riders who I think should be known in UK Nathan O'Neil aus Roland Green, can David George, rsa
Max Sciandri gb Charley Wegelius gb Julian Winn gb Corey Sweet aus Paolo Lanfranchi ita Chtis Horner
usa German Nieto sp (the bald fuenlalabrada rider) Gabrielle Missaglia ita Hernan Munoz col

OK so its not the standard of TdL however it is always,and this year was no exception, a very
exciting race. If you've ever fancied going to a tour, this one is very "user friendly". The country
is easy to get around ( hire car) and food and hotels are very cheap by western standards.

David Duffield was on fine form as Master of Ceromonies.. the crowd love him!!

PS Make sure you set the Vid - tonights programme its on at 2.15 am!!

--
Jan _o -\<, () / ()

---

> A lot of the riders I associate only with the TdL iyswim. More & more
well
> known names appear each year. Mapai always sent a strong team, and were missed this year ( no
> Robbie Hunter) but AndreaTafi did visit as a guest- and he's very popular with Malaysian
> cycle fans).
>
> So riders who I think should be known in UK Nathan O'Neil aus Roland Green, can David George, rsa
> Max Sciandri gb Charley Wegelius gb Julian Winn gb Corey Sweet aus Paolo Lanfranchi ita Chtis
> Horner usa German Nieto sp (the bald fuenlalabrada rider) Gabrielle Missaglia ita Hernan Munoz col
>
> OK so its not the standard of TdL however it is always,and this year was
no
> exception, a very exciting race. If you've ever fancied going to a tour, this one is very "user
> friendly". The country is easy to get around ( hire car) and food and hotels are very cheap by
> western standards.
>
> David Duffield was on fine form as Master of Ceromonies.. the crowd love him!!
>
> PS Make sure you set the Vid - tonights programme its on at 2.15 am!!

Ok, but apart from those listed, which other riders are well known? Only joking...

I must say, the country and colours look lovely, and I can't wait to see the mountains. Speaking as
I look out at a grey, miserable and wet morning.

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 03:20:53 -0000, "Neil D" <n**@NOmail.com> wrote:

>I still say cycling is one of the most visually stunning and colourful sports you can get.
>
>I often wonder if C4 regrets putting the other **** on, most of it was cancelled.
>
>Imagine, a game that stops because its cloudy, let alone rains.

Agreed & good point, Neil.

According to Duffers, many non-cyclists tune in to watch Eurosport's coverage of the Tour, Giro and
Vuelta simply because of the spectacle.

I'm sure Channel 4 are missing a trick. With their short coverage or cycling (and Eurosport's
scheduling at times) I am more likely to turn on, tune in and drop off than anything else. Having
said that, I did watch C4's programme last night even though I watched Eurosport's coverage of the
tour of Langkawi some time ago.

I'm a rugby union fan and do get a little miffed when soccer results are streamed over the top of a
six nations or other rugby test match. Somehow, I cannot see an England versus Germany soccer match
being semi-obscured with the latest rubgy scores from the Zurich Premiership, let alone a more minor
league - one from Wales, for example <ducks for cover>.

Rant over

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 03:20:53 -0000, "Neil D" <n**@NOmail.com> wrote:
>
> Agreed & good point, Neil.
>
> According to Duffers, many non-cyclists tune in to watch Eurosport's coverage of the Tour, Giro
> and Vuelta simply because of the spectacle.
>
> I'm sure Channel 4 are missing a trick. With their short coverage or cycling (and Eurosport's
> scheduling at times) I am more likely to turn on, tune in and drop off than anything else. Having
> said that, I did watch C4's programme last night even though I watched Eurosport's coverage of the
> tour of Langkawi some time ago.
>
> I'm a rugby union fan and do get a little miffed when soccer results are streamed over the top of
> a six nations or other rugby test match. Somehow, I cannot see an England versus Germany soccer
> match being semi-obscured with the latest rubgy scores from the Zurich Premiership, let alone a
> more minor league - one from Wales, for example <ducks for cover>.
>
> Rant over
>
> James

No need to duck, from me anyway. I can at least respect Rugby players, its a hard, tough game,
(vague memories of sliding in mud at school and not being bol***ked). Football, cricket, I can think
of no redeeming features and there're grossly overrated, but that's just my opinion.