TV station claims Piepoli tested positive on Hautacam

interested

Jun 21, 2006
The french TV station, France 2, claims that Piepoli tested positive on Hautacam and the official announcement of this will come later this day.
Since Piepoli has left France together with the rest of his team, he will avoid arrest unlike his teammate Ricco.

The above may just turn out to be a false rumour, but few will be surprised if Piepoli tested positive.

Source (Danish newspaper) :
http://politiken.dk/touren/article541333.ece

--
Regards

Well, if it is confirmed then it is quite obvious that SD was running a team-wide programme, no matter what they will say. :(

Powerful Pete said:
Well, if it is confirmed then it is quite obvious that SD was running a team-wide programme, no matter what they will say. :(
PP, their dash for the border is enough proof of their guilt. Piepoli testing positive will be expected...

TheDarkLord said:
PP, their dash for the border is enough proof of their guilt. Piepoli testing positive will be expected...
Piepoli will be stuck in Monaco and have to evacuate by boat

Eurosport was just commenting that they heard from Reuters that Ricco and Piepoli had been sacked from SD. Oooo, ain't that gold? :D

TheDarkLord said:
Eurosport was just commenting that they heard from Reuters that Ricco and Piepoli had been sacked from SD. Oooo, ain't that gold? :D
Yea, Versus just said that he was sacked though no confirmed positive.....I guess they know he was positive. SD is done. I guess Cobo got lucky not winning the stage.

thoughtforfood said:
Yea, Versus just said that he was sacked though no confirmed positive.....I guess they know he was positive. SD is done. I guess Cobo got lucky not winning the stage.
It is being reported also on the l'equipe website. I posted the news brief on the Riccò doping thread.

Here is the news brief:

18/07/2008 15:09 Cyclisme - Dopage - Ricco et Piepoli licenciés

L'équipe Saunier Duval a annoncé vendredi le licenciement des coureurs italiens Riccardo Ricco, déclaré positif lors d'un contrôle antidopage dans la 4e étape du Tour de France, et Leonardo Piepoli. Dans un communiqué, Mauro Gianetti, manager de l'équipe espagnole, ne parle que d'un non-respect du code éthique de la formation pour Piepoli. Sans prononcer le mot de «dopage», cette annonce confirme les rumeurs concernant le coureur italien.

I guess this is how you catch cheaters now. Make them think they can't test positive, wait for them to turn up to the event and then say Ha! We can actually test for that **** you're jamming into your veins. Looks like SD thought they where safe from the testing, and now their going down.

Considering that the team has probably groomed its riders on dope, it is ridiculous that they sack their riders for doping practices!

TheDarkLord said:
Considering that the team has probably groomed its riders on dope, it is ridiculous that they sack their riders for doping practices!
Without money it would be stupid because the riders could tell us all the story.

TheDarkLord said:

Agreed. Their abrupt withdrawal and Gianeti's alleged "internal investigation" (completed in just 24 hours) show they were worried about multiple positives if they continued. Ban the DS for life, and let the sponsors sue him into bankruptcy.

poulidor said:
Without money it would be stupid because the riders could tell us all the story.
If past experience is anything to go on, if the riders admit to anything they will say that they did it all on their own. The last thing a young guy like Riccò wants is to be labelled a snitch. Then he will never ride again. He will try to weather the storm and come back to riding the way Basso hopes to.

Blowing the lid off things would simply mean he is banished from the peloton. Not a good option for him.

Powerful Pete said:
If past experience is anything to go on, if the riders admit to anything they will say that they did it all on their own. The last thing a young guy like Riccò wants is to be labelled a snitch. Then he will never ride again. He will try to weather the storm and come back to riding the way Basso hopes to.

Blowing the lid off things would simply mean he is banished from the peloton. Not a good option for him.
But will he be able to keep his mouth shut? :D

Here is a question, couldn't the makers of the drugs put in an inert marker so that the drug is easily detectable?

thoughtforfood said:
Here is a question, couldn't the makers of the drugs put in an inert marker so that the drug is easily detectable?
It wouldn't help sales to what I imagine is a lucrative niche in the market.

TheDarkLord said:
But will he be able to keep his mouth shut? :D
Yes he will. The alternatives are not worth considering for him. Unless he is threatened with jail time, that is the only thing that could make him change his mind.

mrfrogger said:
It wouldn't help sales to what I imagine is a lucrative niche in the market.

I seriously doubt the doping athlete market affects their bottom line, compared to the medical anemia/cancer patient market. I read in another thread (maybe it was DP) that Amgen was approached by WADA about using such a marker, but they refused.

thoughtforfood said:

Now that is one of the best anti doping suggestions I've ever heard.

Yegads - I just complimented YOU - are the planets still orbiting each other the right way around??

:D

thoughtforfood said:
That's a great idea. Something similar may be happening. WADA is proactively working with the pharmaceutical companies to develop tests to detect new potential performance enhancing drugs before the drugs are even released to market. That's huge in staying a step ahead of the dopers.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/wada-ahead-of-the-curve-with-micera-17613