Twas The Saturday Before Christmas

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jude, Dec 17, 2005.

  1. Jude

    Jude Guest

    and all through the house
    there was baking and wrapping
    (some grumbles and grouse)
    the ingredients were laid on the counters with care
    in hopes that jude's quick hands would soon be right there
    the cookies were nestled all sung on their sheets
    while visions of candied nuts ran at jude's feet
    and jude in her apron and her pjs and robe
    was hovering over all 4 burners of the preheated stove.
    when right be her ear there arose such a clatter
    that she leaped for her oven mitt and checked on the batter
    away to the oven I grabbed cookie sheets
    pulled out some macaroons and turned down the heat
    the light on the golden brown cocount crust
    soon cooled to a chocolater coating like dust
    when what to my wondering lips should appear
    but a slight hint of almond; the taste was quite dear.
    more rapid than eagles, her candies they came
    and she folded and whisked and called them by name
    "now tea cakes! now thumbprints! now shortbreads and bark!
    on bizcochitos! on spritzes! on white, milk, and dark!
    get coating the pretzels! get coating the oreos!
    now roll them in sprinkles your daughter ador-e-os!"
    as cool as the cookies that come in a box
    our cute little shortbreadsd, like stockings and socks
    so into the tupperware the candies they flew
    with a box full of chocolate bark and candied nuts too.
    and then in a twinkle i heard in the kitchen
    the timer go off, knew it was time for some gittin'
    as i put on my mitt and was turning around
    out of the oven wafted aan aroma unbound
    it was chocolate and sweet, and vanilla and salt
    and lovely fruits, herbs, and spices, with a slight hint of malt.
    a bundle of nonpariels lay on the tray
    just awating the pretzels not yet dipped during this day.
    the sweets, how they glistned! the cndies, how daring!
    the nuts were amazing, the cakes, no comparing!
    their droll little topes were iced like santa claus
    and the meringue tops rose proudly, now that they weren't raw.
    the hint of a cherry lay just neath the top
    and a bit of a walnut, the cream of the crop.
    they were golden, and pinkish, and frosted and iced
    and they begged to be eaten, have one then eat twice.
    they were sprinkled and frosted and candies and spicy
    and i couldn't stop eating, theyw ere very nice-y.
    a crumb and a morsel, a smidgen, a bit
    soon gave me to know i had made quite a hit!
    she hummed as she worked, but she stirred with devotion
    she mixed flour and sugar like a secret potion.
    and laying her spatula aside of her bowl,
    and wiping her hands, she completed her goal.
    she went to the bathroom, gave her hands a rinse.
    and away washed the grease, the grime and the mint.
    but i heard her exclam, as she fell in her seat.
    "merry christmas to all - now go away, i'm plain beat!

    BUT.......I accomplished macaroons, chocolate macaroons, cream cheese
    spritz cookies, shortbreads, candied nuts, spicy and not, spiced nuts,
    white peppermint bark, milk peppermint bark, and dark cherry-pinon
    bark.

    the rest i'll do tomorrow!

    Tags:

  2. Jude wrote:
> [...]
    > and they begged to be eaten, have one then eat twice.
    > they were sprinkled and frosted and candies and spicy
    > and i couldn't stop eating, theyw ere very nice-y.
    > a crumb and a morsel, a smidgen, a bit
    > soon gave me to know i had made quite a hit!
    > she hummed as she worked, but she stirred with devotion
    > she mixed flour and sugar like a secret potion.
    > and laying her spatula aside of her bowl,
    > and wiping her hands, she completed her goal.
    > she went to the bathroom, gave her hands a rinse.
    > and away washed the grease, the grime and the mint.
    > but i heard her exclam, as she fell in her seat.
    > "merry christmas to all - now go away, i'm plain beat!
    >

    > BUT.......I accomplished macaroons, chocolate macaroons, cream cheese
    > spritz cookies, shortbreads, candied nuts, spicy and not, spiced nuts,
    > white peppermint bark, milk peppermint bark, and dark cherry-pinon

    If I had more $$ for ingredients I was planning on making many different
    kinds of cookies this year, but I don't so I'm only doing 3. What you've
    made sounds tres yummy!

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

  4. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]
    > and they begged to be eaten, have one then eat twice.
    > they were sprinkled and frosted and candies and spicy
    > and i couldn't stop eating, theyw ere very nice-y.
    > a crumb and a morsel, a smidgen, a bit
    > soon gave me to know i had made quite a hit!
    > she hummed as she worked, but she stirred with devotion
    > she mixed flour and sugar like a secret potion.
    > and laying her spatula aside of her bowl,
    > and wiping her hands, she completed her goal.
    > she went to the bathroom, gave her hands a rinse.
    > and away washed the grease, the grime and the mint.
    > but i heard her exclam, as she fell in her seat.
    > "merry christmas to all - now go away, i'm plain beat!
    >

    > BUT.......I accomplished macaroons, chocolate macaroons, cream cheese
    > spritz cookies, shortbreads, candied nuts, spicy and not, spiced nuts,
    > white peppermint bark, milk peppermint bark, and dark cherry-pinon

    Awesome! I loved reading this.
    I finished my shopping today, and am quite happy with what I found...but boy
    was it a pain in the neck getting everything! I think I spent more time
    trying to find a place to park than I did actually shopping.
    Monday I'll be making:
    Snowballs, Swedish riches, Russian Tea Cakes, French Christmas cookies,
    stained glass cookies, and cream cheese mints. On top of that, I still need
    to make the truffles (raspberry, orange, espresso, cafe au lait, peppermint,
    and peanut butter), rocky road bars, and toffee.

    kimberly...anticipating a busy week!

  5. GQ

    GQ Guest

    On 17 Dec 2005 17:18:09 -0800, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >and they begged to be eaten, have one then eat twice.
    >they were sprinkled and frosted and candies and spicy
    >and i couldn't stop eating, theyw ere very nice-y.
    >a crumb and a morsel, a smidgen, a bit
    >soon gave me to know i had made quite a hit!
    >she hummed as she worked, but she stirred with devotion
    >she mixed flour and sugar like a secret potion.
    >and laying her spatula aside of her bowl,
    >and wiping her hands, she completed her goal.
    >she went to the bathroom, gave her hands a rinse.
    >and away washed the grease, the grime and the mint.
    >but i heard her exclam, as she fell in her seat.
    >"merry christmas to all - now go away, i'm plain beat!
    >

    >BUT.......I accomplished macaroons, chocolate macaroons, cream cheese
    >spritz cookies, shortbreads, candied nuts, spicy and not, spiced nuts,
    >white peppermint bark, milk peppermint bark, and dark cherry-pinon

    Loved it. Thanks so much for posting it.

    GQ

  6. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Glad you all enjoyed it!

    I didn't set out to write a poem.....I was taking a break from the
    kitchen and needed something to allow me to procrastinate my return a
    little while longer. and so it grew and grew until I had finished the
    poem. And still, 8 pounds of chocolxate sat in the kitchen calling