twice a day training

macca1234

Aug 9, 2005
hi, i live in australia and atm we have sunshine from 5:45am-8:10pm so i was wondering with all my spare time should i bother riding in the morning before school from 6:00 - 8:00 am or just ride from 4:15-8:00 after school. Are there more benefits either way?

If your doing heavy workouts then it can make sense to break them up.

I often sprint in the morning and interval at night. Just make sure you leave enough time to recover.

I tend to ride both in the morning and night, wish I had as much day light as you over here. If you are doing to different work outs there is no problem with just try switching up the work out from morning to night say your spinning in the morning and doing something like hills at night the next day you might want to do hills in the morning and spinning at night just a suggestion.

sounds like a winner. i might just spin in the mornings and do hills, intervals, trials, sprints etc in the afternoon. Maybe i will go to the pool once a week in the mornings to break things up. I think spinning would work better in the mornings as i seem to be more powerful in the afternoons.

Do many morning and afternoon riders feel weak in the afternoons.

macca1234 said:
hi, i live in australia and atm we have sunshine from 5:45am-8:10pm so i was wondering with all my spare time should i bother riding in the morning before school from 6:00 - 8:00 am or just ride from 4:15-8:00 after school. Are there more benefits either way?
I would only ride once a day since your only 15 years old ( just like me:) ) and twice a day training may cause overtraining. I think it's beter to do one high quality workout a day than two workouts since you won't be able to train on 100% that way.

You could do what I use to do when I was 15 I had about a 20 mile trip from school to home after school I would ride home eat a good meal and head back out after dinner and do some training rides I would take it easy on my way home from school and just make it as enhoyable as I could.

Cyclingboy said:
I would only ride once a day since your only 15 years old ( just like me:) ) and twice a day training may cause overtraining. I think it's beter to do one high quality workout a day than two workouts since you won't be able to train on 100% that way.
Two a day workouts make it easier to do double-days of intervals. I'm 15 too, and find I recover fast enough to do two interval workouts in the same day pretty easily.

agreed at first it might be tough but if you keep it up your recovery time will improve

I'd recommend getting a good jump on the day by eating well in the morning(not riding) , eating multiple times during the day(small meals) , then later in the day- after 4pm , ride as long as you can(or do what ever kind of workout you have planned for the day). The body has a easier- more efficient time of rebuilding muscle/re-energizing itself when there is a shorter window of time between workout time + bed time. :) Be sure an be well hydrated before + after your workout(keep H2O by your bedside). Sure, I'm no professional trainer... but I do know that, and I wont charge you for that info., its not about being greedy... instead its about sharing the knowledge. :)

Adam-from-SLO said:
I'd recommend getting a good jump on the day by eating well in the morning(not riding) , eating multiple times during the day(small meals) , then later in the day- after 4pm , ride as long as you can(or do what ever kind of workout you have planned for the day). The body has a easier- more efficient time of rebuilding muscle/re-energizing itself when there is a shorter window of time between workout time + bed time. :) Be sure an be well hydrated before + after your workout(keep H2O by your bedside). Sure, I'm no professional trainer... but I do know that, and I wont charge you for that info., its not about being greedy... instead its about sharing the knowledge. :)
Okay, some of those are good/true statements but they don't have much to do with maccas post. And just curious as to why you don't think 2-a-days are valuable?

As far as the professional trainer comment, I hope I'm missing something and you're not aiming that towards some of the experts who post here.

whoawhoa said:
Okay, some of those are good/true statements but they don't have much to do with maccas post. And just curious as to why you don't think 2-a-days are valuable?

As far as the professional trainer comment, I hope I'm missing something and you're not aiming that towards some of the experts who post here.

There is no absolute "perfect recipe" when it comes to *training at optimal intensity.. duration... etc.* There are so many factors to consider , if you really want to get analytical when it comes to planning for the weeks rides. For some people... riding twice a day might be the ticket , for others they are just burning there whick at both ends..... possibly over taxing there body/physiology to the point that later could cause a sports injury of some type.

Take my info. for what you want to use it for.... thats all. I'm not saying ... "yeah... go out there and ride twice daily = for 3+ hours, etc." . Instead I'm coming at it like "yeah, ride ..... PLAN accordingly ..... dont over-tax yourself ALL the time(there is a time to ride hard, and there is a time to simply put time in on the saddle- two totally different disiplines) ........ hydrate + eat as well as you can ....... and get proper rest(could be 7 hrs. a night.. could be 10 hours a night... not sure how your physiology is set up).

I dont aim my posts at anyone here in a "forceful" or "mallicous" manner. I did make a comment to the origional poster of this thread of what **I thought was a good idea for planning your day of cycling*** Sometimes in life... you can get too much of a good thing(cycling) in one day , and sometimes too much of a good thing can come back to bit you in the Azzz ;)

Adam-from-SLO said:
There is no absolute "perfect recipe" when it comes to *training at optimal intensity.. duration... etc.* There are so many factors to consider , if you really want to get analytical when it comes to planning for the weeks rides. For some people... riding twice a day might be the ticket , for others they are just burning there whick at both ends..... possibly over taxing there body/physiology to the point that later could cause a sports injury of some type.

Take my info. for what you want to use it for.... thats all. I'm not saying ... "yeah... go out there and ride twice daily = for 3+ hours, etc." . Instead I'm coming at it like "yeah, ride ..... PLAN accordingly ..... dont over-tax yourself ALL the time(there is a time to ride hard, and there is a time to simply put time in on the saddle- two totally different disiplines) ........ hydrate + eat as well as you can ....... and get proper rest(could be 7 hrs. a night.. could be 10 hours a night... not sure how your physiology is set up).
Perfect. If there were a canned recipe, then everyone could be a champ.

Looks like i will just do once a days. My coach and nearly everyone i speak to has told me I have natural ability but i shouldn't waste it by training too hard as a 15 year old (should have told you i was 15 i suppose). Is it more effective to do your training in the afternoon when you are warmed up even when its 40 degrees celcius or is it better to ride when its cooler ie. 32 degrees celcius :p .

Damn its gonna be hot in Oz this year. we reached 35 degrees in late october here in albury where by nature its a bit cooler than most places. Can't wait for january :eek: