Twisted link in PC-58 chain

* * Chas

Guest
Yesterday I got a bent twisted link in a new SRAM PC-58 chain.

I was riding my new beater bike up a slight grade in 38/19 gears. I felt
the chain slip several times like it was trying to shift to the next
larger gear and then it came off of the inner chainring.

Upon inspection I found a severely bent and twisted link in the chain. It
had been working fine up to that point.

The bike is a 1987 Centurion Ironman with mostly original or NOS Shimano
105 components in good working order.

The cassette is a NOS 13-28 7 speed Uniglide with twisted teeth.

The chainrings are a new FSA 48-38 set with shift pins.

The rear derailleur and downtube index shifters are Shimano 105 7 speed.
They were shifting fine.

The hub is a low mileage Ultegra with an 8 speed freehub that seems to be
working OK. I have a spacer in place to use the 7 speed cassette.

Are PC-58 chains weak?

Is a PC-48 chain any stronger?

Would a Sedisport chain be better?

The bent link seems to match the bent teeth angle in the Uniglide
sprockets. I'd like to stay with the Uniglide cassette instead of
switching to a Hyperglide because I custom built it to give me the ratios
that I want.

Suggestions?

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> Yesterday I got a bent twisted link in a new SRAM PC-58 chain.
>
> I was riding my new beater bike up a slight grade in 38/19 gears. I felt
> the chain slip several times like it was trying to shift to the next
> larger gear and then it came off of the inner chainring.
>
> Upon inspection I found a severely bent and twisted link in the chain. It
> had been working fine up to that point.
>
> The bike is a 1987 Centurion Ironman with mostly original or NOS Shimano
> 105 components in good working order.
>
> The cassette is a NOS 13-28 7 speed Uniglide with twisted teeth.
>
> The chainrings are a new FSA 48-38 set with shift pins.
>
> The rear derailleur and downtube index shifters are Shimano 105 7 speed.
> They were shifting fine.
>
> The hub is a low mileage Ultegra with an 8 speed freehub that seems to be
> working OK. I have a spacer in place to use the 7 speed cassette.
>
> Are PC-58 chains weak?

no.

> Is a PC-48 chain any stronger?

no.

> Would a Sedisport chain be better?

sedis is now sram. any sedisport chain you get today is going to be
very old stock. and probably not narrow enough.

> The bent link seems to match the bent teeth angle in the Uniglide
> sprockets. I'd like to stay with the Uniglide cassette instead of
> switching to a Hyperglide because I custom built it to give me the ratios
> that I want.
>
> Suggestions?

post a pic so we can understand better what's wrong.

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas wrote:
> > Yesterday I got a bent twisted link in a new SRAM PC-58 chain.
> >
> > I was riding my new beater bike up a slight grade in 38/19 gears. I

felt
> > the chain slip several times like it was trying to shift to the next
> > larger gear and then it came off of the inner chainring.
> >
> > Upon inspection I found a severely bent and twisted link in the chain.

It
> > had been working fine up to that point.
> >
> > The bike is a 1987 Centurion Ironman with mostly original or NOS

Shimano
> > 105 components in good working order.
> >
> > The cassette is a NOS 13-28 7 speed Uniglide with twisted teeth.
> >
> > The chainrings are a new FSA 48-38 set with shift pins.
> >
> > The rear derailleur and downtube index shifters are Shimano 105 7

speed.
> > They were shifting fine.
> >
> > The hub is a low mileage Ultegra with an 8 speed freehub that seems to

be
> > working OK. I have a spacer in place to use the 7 speed cassette.
> >
> > Are PC-58 chains weak?

> no.
>

> > Is a PC-48 chain any stronger?

> no.
>

> > Would a Sedisport chain be better?

> sedis is now sram. any sedisport chain you get today is going to be
> very old stock. and probably not narrow enough.
>

> > The bent link seems to match the bent teeth angle in the Uniglide
> > sprockets. I'd like to stay with the Uniglide cassette instead of
> > switching to a Hyperglide because I custom built it to give me the

ratios
> > that I want.
> >
> > Suggestions?

> post a pic so we can understand better what's wrong.

Thanks. I dug through my baggies of used chains and found an almost new
Sedisport chain. It was probably the last generation Sedisport and has
flared inner links.

The PC-58 is about 7.2mm wide across the pins. The Sedisport that I put on
is 7.4-7.5mm wide. It seems to be index shifting the 7 speed OK.

I'm going to take it out tomorrow and see what happens.

Chas.

On Jul 12, 10:45 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yesterday I got a bent twisted link in a new SRAM PC-58 chain.
>
> I was riding my new beater bike up a slight grade in 38/19 gears. I felt
> the chain slip several times like it was trying to shift to the next
> larger gear and then it came off of the inner chainring.
>
> Upon inspection I found a severely bent and twisted link in the chain. It
> had been working fine up to that point.
>
> The bike is a 1987 Centurion Ironman with mostly original or NOS Shimano
> 105 components in good working order.
>
> The cassette is a NOS 13-28 7 speed Uniglide with twisted teeth.
>
> The chainrings are a new FSA 48-38 set with shift pins.
>
> The rear derailleur and downtube index shifters are Shimano 105 7 speed.
> They were shifting fine.
>
> The hub is a low mileage Ultegra with an 8 speed freehub that seems to be
> working OK. I have a spacer in place to use the 7 speed cassette.
>
> Are PC-58 chains weak?

No-we sell a bunch of them.

> Is a PC-48 chain any stronger?

Nope, C-58 just some plated parts.

> Would a Sedisport chain be better?

May not shift worth a dern.

> The bent link seems to match the bent teeth angle in the Uniglide
> sprockets. I'd like to stay with the Uniglide cassette instead of
> switching to a Hyperglide because I custom built it to give me the ratios
> that I want.

I use a PC-48 with a DA freewheel and haven't ever had a problem.

> Suggestions?
>
> Chas.

"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yesterday I got a bent twisted link in a new SRAM PC-58 chain.
>
> I was riding my new beater bike up a slight grade in 38/19 gears. I felt
> the chain slip several times like it was trying to shift to the next
> larger gear and then it came off of the inner chainring.
>
> Upon inspection I found a severely bent and twisted link in the chain. It
> had been working fine up to that point.
>
> The bike is a 1987 Centurion Ironman with mostly original or NOS Shimano
> 105 components in good working order.
>
> The cassette is a NOS 13-28 7 speed Uniglide with twisted teeth.
>
> The chainrings are a new FSA 48-38 set with shift pins.
>
> The rear derailleur and downtube index shifters are Shimano 105 7 speed.
> They were shifting fine.
>
> The hub is a low mileage Ultegra with an 8 speed freehub that seems to be
> working OK. I have a spacer in place to use the 7 speed cassette.
>
> Are PC-58 chains weak?
>
> Is a PC-48 chain any stronger?
>
> Would a Sedisport chain be better?
>
> The bent link seems to match the bent teeth angle in the Uniglide
> sprockets. I'd like to stay with the Uniglide cassette instead of
> switching to a Hyperglide because I custom built it to give me the ratios
> that I want.
>
> Suggestions?

I had that happen, too. My PC-48 was bent about 30 degrees on my old road
bike when it came off the inner CR too. I ended up bending that link back
to 0 degrees. It looked fine, and I now use it on my rusty 80 gear-inch SS
commuter so that chain tension is fairly low. I can't say it shifts any
better. ;)

I would suggest taking that one link out providing it still fits on big-big,
and continuing to use the chain. Or use a second quick-link.

--
Phil

> On Jul 12, 10:45 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Yesterday I got a bent twisted link in a new SRAM PC-58 chain.
> >
> > I was riding my new beater bike up a slight grade in 38/19 gears. I

felt
> > the chain slip several times like it was trying to shift to the next
> > larger gear and then it came off of the inner chainring.
> >
> > Upon inspection I found a severely bent and twisted link in the chain.

It
> > had been working fine up to that point.
> >
> > The bike is a 1987 Centurion Ironman with mostly original or NOS

Shimano
> > 105 components in good working order.
> >
> > The cassette is a NOS 13-28 7 speed Uniglide with twisted teeth.
> >
> > The chainrings are a new FSA 48-38 set with shift pins.
> >
> > The rear derailleur and downtube index shifters are Shimano 105 7

speed.
> > They were shifting fine.
> >
> > The hub is a low mileage Ultegra with an 8 speed freehub that seems to

be
> > working OK. I have a spacer in place to use the 7 speed cassette.
> >
> > Are PC-58 chains weak?

> No-we sell a bunch of them.
> >
> > Is a PC-48 chain any stronger?

> Nope, C-58 just some plated parts.
> >
> > Would a Sedisport chain be better?

> May not shift worth a dern.
> >
> > The bent link seems to match the bent teeth angle in the Uniglide
> > sprockets. I'd like to stay with the Uniglide cassette instead of
> > switching to a Hyperglide because I custom built it to give me the

ratios
> > that I want.

> I use a PC-48 with a DA freewheel and haven't ever had a problem.

Thanks for the info. I decided to experiment a little.

1. Put on an almost new Sedisport, it shifted better.

2. Put on a NOS 13-28 Hyperglide Cassette. Couldn't get into 24T shifting
up or down. Wouldn't "shift worth a dern".

3. Replaced the bent link in the PC-58 chain and put it back on. It still
wasn't shifting quite right and it was noisy.

5. Problem found - worn-out pulleys. Replaced them with almost new ones
from a spare 105 RD. It index shifts perfect now.

6. Put the Uniglide cassette back on, it works perfect too.

The top jockey wheel was so worn it was rocking about 10° side to side
during a shift. It probably allowed the chain to jam on the 24T sprocket
at an extreme angle when I was on the large chainring. The bent link
matches the twist in the cassette teeth.

I have half dozen or so SRAM PC-48, 58 and 68 chains. Never had a problem
before.

Chas. [email protected] (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas wrote:
> > Yesterday I got a bent twisted link in a new SRAM PC-58 chain.
> >
> > I was riding my new beater bike up a slight grade in 38/19 gears. I

felt
> > the chain slip several times like it was trying to shift to the next
> > larger gear and then it came off of the inner chainring.
> >
> > Upon inspection I found a severely bent and twisted link in the chain.

It
> > had been working fine up to that point.
> >
> > The bike is a 1987 Centurion Ironman with mostly original or NOS

Shimano
> > 105 components in good working order.
> >
> > The cassette is a NOS 13-28 7 speed Uniglide with twisted teeth.
> >
> > The chainrings are a new FSA 48-38 set with shift pins.
> >
> > The rear derailleur and downtube index shifters are Shimano 105 7

speed.
> > They were shifting fine.
> >
> > The hub is a low mileage Ultegra with an 8 speed freehub that seems to

be
> > working OK. I have a spacer in place to use the 7 speed cassette.
> >
> > Are PC-58 chains weak?

> no.
>

> > Is a PC-48 chain any stronger?

> no.
>

> > Would a Sedisport chain be better?

> sedis is now sram. any sedisport chain you get today is going to be
> very old stock. and probably not narrow enough.
>

> > The bent link seems to match the bent teeth angle in the Uniglide
> > sprockets. I'd like to stay with the Uniglide cassette instead of
> > switching to a Hyperglide because I custom built it to give me the

ratios
> > that I want.
> >
> > Suggestions?

> post a pic so we can understand better what's wrong.

Severely worn RD pulleys caused the problem. Changed them now it shifts
great.

Chas.