Two-bicycle, side-by-side, quadricycle tandem

Moosh:)

Guest
I'm thinking of buying two cheap ladies mountain bikes and lashing them together like the "granny
bike". My better half can't ride a bike, and my arferitus makes getting on a permanently upright
bloke's bike impossible (you should see me getting on and off my MTB :) Anyway, I was thinking of 2'
2" between the frames (leave 2" between the handlebars anyway) and I haven't a clue yet what
Ackerman angle to incorporate into the steering (around 40 degrees between the two steering arms at
straight ahead?) What minimum specs should I look for in the two bikes? I suspect alloy rims,
stainless spokes, and would steel or ally frame be more robust where I clamp the cross ties on the
headstock and rear downstays? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Moosh:)

On Sat, 10 May 2003 15:20:49 GMT, "Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote:

Apologies for the multiposting -- my poor old Agent is past its useby date and appeared to stall
several times without posting.

Moosh:)

"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking of buying two cheap ladies mountain bikes and lashing them together like the
> "granny bike".

The best recommendation I can give here is to stay well away from four-wheel rigs and avoid
home-engineering. A quadricycle brings in a whole host of compliations concerning steering control
and angles, tyre/road contact on irregular surfaces without full suspension, respective drive power
of two riders and turning forces, not to mention the structural security of the connecting members.

> My better half can't ride a bike, and my arferitus makes getting on a permanently upright bloke's
> bike impossible

Look into the options of:

- Viewpoint Tandem maybe able to set something up that meets your needs www.bilenky.com/viewpnt.html
- Greenspeed (in Ferntree Gully, Victoria) make very cool tandem recumbent trikes
www.greenspeed..com.au/tandem.htm

Neither of these are cut-price options - in fact a good financial arrangement would be worthwhile,
but you will find the cycling much happier and will arrive alive.

Cheers Peter

Another view on the Viewpoint, including a semi-independent drivetrain.
http://www.bilenky.com/daveductorarticle.htm

You maybe able to talk to them about altered steering to provide for a
recumbent captain, with your partner as an upright stoker. Just an idea.

Cheers Peter

On Sun, 11 May 2003 22:53:09 +1000, "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I'm thinking of buying two cheap ladies mountain bikes and lashing them together like the
>> "granny bike".
>
>The best recommendation I can give here is to stay well away from four-wheel rigs and avoid
>home-engineering. A quadricycle brings in a whole host of compliations concerning steering control
>and angles, tyre/road contact on irregular surfaces without full suspension, respective drive power
>of two riders and turning forces, not to mention the structural security of the connecting members.
>
>> My better half can't ride a bike, and my arferitus makes getting on a permanently upright bloke's
>> bike impossible
>
>Look into the options of:
>
>- Viewpoint Tandem maybe able to set something up that meets your needs
> www.bilenky.com/viewpnt.html
>- Greenspeed (in Ferntree Gully, Victoria) make very cool tandem recumbent trikes
> www.greenspeed..com.au/tandem.htm
>
>Neither of these are cut-price options - in fact a good financial arrangement would be worthwhile,
>but you will find the cycling much happier and will arrive alive.

Thanks for that Peter. If only I had the funds :)

I'm thinking $400 max and these are over $8000.

Then there is one tiny point. The side by side will likely get away with an occasional train trip in
Perth, whereas these alternatives would likely not.

I take your two major points. About four rigid wheels on uneven ground, as we are near enough to 60
and not wanting to use anything but good paved cycle paths at gentle speeds, I suspect this will not
be an insurmountable problem.

The home engineering point is valid, and I usually tend to overengineer my projects. I have
reasonable workshop facilities. I understand the braking and cornering stresses on any linkage, and
will make this extraordinarily rigid.

The gearing and braking will remain independent. The steering will be linked with a tie rod that I
will finely adjust from an initial Ackerman angle that I have found for setting up three wheelers.

There is a Canadian kit for joining two bikes, so it must work to some extent. If it doesn't then it
can be dismantled and the original bikes sold.

I would appreciate still any further traps or pitfalls that you or anyone can suggest. I'm sure
there are things I haven't thought of yet :)

The granny bike is here:

http://www.thegrannybike.com/

Moosh:)

On Thu, 15 May 2003 09:51:48 +1000, "Cody" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> The best recommendation I can give here is to stay well away from
>four-wheel
>> rigs and avoid home-engineering. A quadricycle brings in a whole host of
>
>I always liked the sidecar arrangement I saw years ago in the Philippines (I think it was). Dead
>simple to build; The sidecar wheel was in line with the rear wheel of the bike so steering wasn't a
>problem and the sidecar could have a seat for one or two or used for a load.
>
>Not that this has anything to do with the subject.

Of course it does, Cody. Thanks for your thoughts. I was contemplating something like that, but the
stoker needs to bloodywell stoke, Dammit! :)