Two-bicycle, side-by-side, quadricycle tandem

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Moosh:), May 10, 2003.

  1. Moosh:)

    Moosh:) Guest

    Hi folks, I know it's not a 'bent topic, but I would appreciate some leads. I posted this in
    aus.bikes, but it's rather slow, so I wonder if you folks in a busier group might be able to
    help here.

    I'm thinking of buying two cheap ladies mountain bikes and lashing them together like the "granny
    bike". My better half can't ride a bike, and my arferitus makes getting on a permanently upright
    bloke's bike impossible (you should see me getting on and off my MTB :) Anyway, I was thinking of 2'
    2" between the frames (leave 2" between the handlebars anyway) and I haven't a clue yet what
    Ackerman angle to incorporate into the steering (around 40 degrees between the two steering arms at
    straight ahead?) What minimum specs should I look for in the two bikes? I suspect alloy rims,
    stainless spokes, and would steel or ally frame be more robust where I clamp the cross ties on the
    headstock and rear downstays? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

    Moosh:)

    Tags:

  2. "Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi folks, I know it's not a 'bent topic, but I would appreciate some leads. I posted this in
    > aus.bikes, but it's rather slow, so I wonder if you folks in a busier group might be able to
    > help here.
    >

    > I'm thinking of buying two cheap ladies mountain bikes and lashing them together like the "granny
    > bike". My better half can't ride a bike, and my arferitus makes getting on a permanently upright
    > bloke's bike impossible (you should see me getting on and off my MTB :) Anyway, I was thinking of
    > 2' 2" between the frames (leave 2" between the handlebars anyway) and I haven't a clue yet what
    > Ackerman angle to incorporate into the steering (around 40 degrees between the two steering arms
    > at straight ahead?) What minimum specs should I look for in the two bikes? I suspect alloy rims,
    > stainless spokes, and would steel or ally frame be more robust where I clamp the cross ties on the
    > headstock and rear downstays? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    >

    > Moosh:)

    A year or two ago at the Interbike show two EZ-1s were paired up to make a tandem. There might be
    pictures around somewhere that might help!

    I think the same principle could be used in your project. Good luck!!

    Chris