Two-bicycle, side-by-side, quadricycle tandem

Moosh:)

Guest
Hi folks, I know it's not a 'bent topic, but I would appreciate some leads. I posted this in
aus.bikes, but it's rather slow, so I wonder if you folks in a busier group might be able to
help here.

I'm thinking of buying two cheap ladies mountain bikes and lashing them together like the "granny
bike". My better half can't ride a bike, and my arferitus makes getting on a permanently upright
bloke's bike impossible (you should see me getting on and off my MTB :) Anyway, I was thinking of 2'
2" between the frames (leave 2" between the handlebars anyway) and I haven't a clue yet what
Ackerman angle to incorporate into the steering (around 40 degrees between the two steering arms at
straight ahead?) What minimum specs should I look for in the two bikes? I suspect alloy rims,
stainless spokes, and would steel or ally frame be more robust where I clamp the cross ties on the
headstock and rear downstays? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Moosh:)

"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi folks, I know it's not a 'bent topic, but I would appreciate some leads. I posted this in
> aus.bikes, but it's rather slow, so I wonder if you folks in a busier group might be able to
> help here.
>

> I'm thinking of buying two cheap ladies mountain bikes and lashing them together like the "granny
> bike". My better half can't ride a bike, and my arferitus makes getting on a permanently upright
> bloke's bike impossible (you should see me getting on and off my MTB :) Anyway, I was thinking of
> 2' 2" between the frames (leave 2" between the handlebars anyway) and I haven't a clue yet what
> Ackerman angle to incorporate into the steering (around 40 degrees between the two steering arms
> at straight ahead?) What minimum specs should I look for in the two bikes? I suspect alloy rims,
> stainless spokes, and would steel or ally frame be more robust where I clamp the cross ties on the
> headstock and rear downstays? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>

> Moosh:)

A year or two ago at the Interbike show two EZ-1s were paired up to make a tandem. There might be
pictures around somewhere that might help!

I think the same principle could be used in your project. Good luck!!

Chris