Two bikes, what is the better deal?? *Beginner Cyclist

kiah115

Mar 15, 2013
So the Scott is selling for $700.00, NEW, w/o pedals. Here's the link and details..

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/contessa-speedster-35-2013-womens-road-bike-ec042476#features

The Trek is selling for $750, NEW, with pedals.

http://www.bicycleexpress.com.au/bikes/Trek_Lexa_S_-_2013.aspx

Which one is the better deal?? :) Any help is appreciated!

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

The only way to make the right decision is to test ride both, then buy the one that fits best, handles best, rides best, tickles your aesthetic fancies, and coddles your wallet as you see fit. If one has any edge over the other it's the Scott because it's component group is ever so slightly better than the Trek's. However, that difference is minor and is far outweighed by the bike fit, ride, handling, et al.

I'd also factor in the bike shop. If one has better customer service, such as free tuneups after 30 and 90 days, or if one takes more time adjusting the bike to you for the test ride, or if you just like one dealer over the other, that might be the deciding factor or you.

Originally Posted by alienator .

The only way to make the right decision is to test ride both, then buy the one that fits best, handles best, rides best, tickles your aesthetic fancies, and coddles your wallet as you see fit. If one has any edge over the other it's the Scott because it's component group is ever so slightly better than the Trek's. However, that difference is minor and is far outweighed by the bike fit, ride, handling, et al.
Originally Posted by dhk2 .

I'd also factor in the bike shop. If one has better customer service, such as free tuneups after 30 and 90 days, or if one takes more time adjusting the bike to you for the test ride, or if you just like one dealer over the other, that might be the deciding factor or you.
What they said. One major difference between the bikes is that the Scott has a triple crank, and the Trek has a compact double. How much climbing are you going to do? For me, a compact (50/34 chain rings) coupled with a 28 tooth gear on the back will get me up almost anything, but if you're just starting out and have some serious hills, you may be more comfortable having that 30 tooth granny ring of the triple on the front. The Scott also has a better wheel set.

Don't be swayed by the pedals, or lack of them. The Trek has $15 nylon platform pedals. They may be the very first thing you replace.