Two Bikes Workouts one day

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by MJuric, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    In my current schedule I have one time a week that my leg weight workout falls on the sameday as one
    of my rides. I wuold like to start replacing my legg workouts with a power/strength building bike
    ride. Has anyone done this type of schedule with a regular endurance ride in the morning and a power
    building at night. Recommended or asking for trouble?

    ~Matt

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, <MJuric> wrote:
    >bike ride. Has anyone done this type of schedule with a regular endurance ride in the morning and a
    >power building at night. Recommended or asking for trouble?

    sounds like trouble to me, though if your time constraints force you to separate a longer workout
    into the pieces, maybe it's no difference.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  3. Roger Hunter

    Roger Hunter Guest

    <MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > In my current schedule I have one time a week that my leg weight workout falls on the sameday as
    > one of my rides. I wuold like to start replacing my legg workouts with a power/strength building
    > bike ride. Has anyone done this type of schedule with a regular endurance ride in the morning and
    > a power building at night. Recommended or asking for trouble?

    Here's a concept that might work, Matt. Do what you proposed. Then tell us what happened. You learn,
    and we learn. Seems perfect, doesn't it?

    Roger.

  4. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:51:45 -0000, "Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ><MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> In my current schedule I have one time a week that my leg weight workout falls on the sameday as
    >> one of my rides. I wuold like to start replacing my legg workouts with a power/strength building
    >> bike ride. Has anyone done this type of schedule with a regular endurance ride in the morning and
    >> a power building at night. Recommended or asking for trouble?
    >
    >Here's a concept that might work, Matt. Do what you proposed. Then tell us what happened. You
    >learn, and we learn. Seems perfect, doesn't it?

    Seems perfect except in such case, that someone else has already done it and ended up on the
    injured reserve list. A list of which I've spent WAYYYYYY to much time already.

    ~Matt

    >Roger.

  5. Joe Braun

    Joe Braun Guest

    i know people who have done this. do the harder ride early and the longer ride later if possible.

    <MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In my current schedule I have one time a week that my leg weight workout falls on the sameday as
    > one of my rides. I wuold like to start replacing my legg workouts with a power/strength building
    > bike ride. Has anyone done this type of schedule with a regular endurance ride in the morning and
    > a power building at night. Recommended or asking for trouble?
    >
    > ~Matt

  6. Goodtime

    Goodtime Guest

    Connie Carpenter in her book on cycle training recommends that the second ride of the day be the
    "hard" one. I often have two rides a day because of commuting. I usually try to make the ride home a
    little faster but not always.

    See ya... http://www.angelfire.com/retro/355_rider/index.html

  7. I would advise against it. There is not a single training methodology in current use that recommends
    such an approach. Just because you can do the workout doesn't mean it's optimal. What would be the
    purpose of 2 bike workouts in a single day?

    Harry

    news:<[email protected]>...

  8. Dr. Harry Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I would advise against it. There is not a single training methodology in current use that
    >recommends such an approach. Just because you can do the workout doesn't mean it's optimal. What
    >would be the purpose of 2 bike workouts in a single day?

    If one had to split a 30 mi ride into two 15s (or a similar halving) because of time constraints,
    doesn't seem too bad. Otherwise I agree. I particularly wonder why one would want to do the harder
    workout on inadequete rest. Seems like a good way to hurt something.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  9. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On 24 Mar 2003 06:37:58 -0800, [email protected] (Dr. Harry Johnson) wrote:

    >I would advise against it. There is not a single training methodology in current use that
    >recommends such an approach.

    Not trying to be argumentative, as I really don't know what the answer is or else I would
    not have posted the question. I would however be surprised if some of the elites do not do
    two a days. Two a days are fairly common amongst the running elite and as far as I know also
    among the swimming elite. BTW I'm no elite.

    >Just because you can do the workout doesn't mean it's optimal. What would be the purpose of 2 bike
    >workouts in a single day?
    >
    >Harry

    As I originally posted, I currently lift a couple times a week. One of those lifting
    sessions falls on the same day as a morning ride. As the season moves on I would like to cut
    out the lifting and replace it with a power building type of cycling ride. The purpose would
    be to work two different systems in the same day one ride may be aerobic the other severally
    anaerobic. However I can see that lifting would be less intensive on some of the other
    muscles that would be used during cycling. Lifting would also be less likely to create an
    "Overuse" type of injury.

    ~Matt