Two Bikes Workouts one day

MJuric

Guest
In my current schedule I have one time a week that my leg weight workout falls on the sameday as one
of my rides. I wuold like to start replacing my legg workouts with a power/strength building bike
ride. Has anyone done this type of schedule with a regular endurance ride in the morning and a power
building at night. Recommended or asking for trouble?

~Matt

In article <[email protected]>, <MJuric> wrote:
>bike ride. Has anyone done this type of schedule with a regular endurance ride in the morning and a
>power building at night. Recommended or asking for trouble?

sounds like trouble to me, though if your time constraints force you to separate a longer workout
into the pieces, maybe it's no difference.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

<MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> In my current schedule I have one time a week that my leg weight workout falls on the sameday as
> one of my rides. I wuold like to start replacing my legg workouts with a power/strength building
> bike ride. Has anyone done this type of schedule with a regular endurance ride in the morning and
> a power building at night. Recommended or asking for trouble?

Here's a concept that might work, Matt. Do what you proposed. Then tell us what happened. You learn,
and we learn. Seems perfect, doesn't it?

Roger.

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:51:45 -0000, "Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:

><MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>> In my current schedule I have one time a week that my leg weight workout falls on the sameday as
>> one of my rides. I wuold like to start replacing my legg workouts with a power/strength building
>> bike ride. Has anyone done this type of schedule with a regular endurance ride in the morning and
>> a power building at night. Recommended or asking for trouble?
>
>Here's a concept that might work, Matt. Do what you proposed. Then tell us what happened. You
>learn, and we learn. Seems perfect, doesn't it?

Seems perfect except in such case, that someone else has already done it and ended up on the
injured reserve list. A list of which I've spent WAYYYYYY to much time already.

~Matt

>Roger.

i know people who have done this. do the harder ride early and the longer ride later if possible.

<MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In my current schedule I have one time a week that my leg weight workout falls on the sameday as
> one of my rides. I wuold like to start replacing my legg workouts with a power/strength building
> bike ride. Has anyone done this type of schedule with a regular endurance ride in the morning and
> a power building at night. Recommended or asking for trouble?
>
> ~Matt

I would advise against it. There is not a single training methodology in current use that recommends
such an approach. Just because you can do the workout doesn't mean it's optimal. What would be the
purpose of 2 bike workouts in a single day?

Harry

news:<[email protected]>...

Dr. Harry Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
>I would advise against it. There is not a single training methodology in current use that
>recommends such an approach. Just because you can do the workout doesn't mean it's optimal. What
>would be the purpose of 2 bike workouts in a single day?

If one had to split a 30 mi ride into two 15s (or a similar halving) because of time constraints,
doesn't seem too bad. Otherwise I agree. I particularly wonder why one would want to do the harder
workout on inadequete rest. Seems like a good way to hurt something.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

On 24 Mar 2003 06:37:58 -0800, [email protected] (Dr. Harry Johnson) wrote:

>I would advise against it. There is not a single training methodology in current use that
>recommends such an approach.

Not trying to be argumentative, as I really don't know what the answer is or else I would
not have posted the question. I would however be surprised if some of the elites do not do
two a days. Two a days are fairly common amongst the running elite and as far as I know also
among the swimming elite. BTW I'm no elite.

>Just because you can do the workout doesn't mean it's optimal. What would be the purpose of 2 bike
>workouts in a single day?
>
>Harry

As I originally posted, I currently lift a couple times a week. One of those lifting
sessions falls on the same day as a morning ride. As the season moves on I would like to cut
out the lifting and replace it with a power building type of cycling ride. The purpose would
be to work two different systems in the same day one ride may be aerobic the other severally
anaerobic. However I can see that lifting would be less intensive on some of the other
muscles that would be used during cycling. Lifting would also be less likely to create an
"Overuse" type of injury.

~Matt