Two Elderly Chinese Ladies Picking Carrots

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mark Thorson, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    decide which ones they wanted.

    At first, I just went over to get some Brussels sprouts, hoping they would be done by the time I got
    back to the carrots. No such luck. They had taken at least five minutes (maybe more time before I
    got there) to pick FIVE carrots! That's a WHOLE MINUTE per carrot!

    So I stood behind them holding an empty bag hoping they'd get the message and hurry up or move aside
    or something. They were polite and smiled and moved aside while continuing to discuss the fine
    points of carrots (I assume) in Chinese.

    I take very little time picking carrots, though I check for several features. I like small
    diameter, so I mostly pull carrots from the front of the stack where I can view them end-on. I
    also like the shape of my carrots to be more cylindrical, rather than turnip-like. I also like a
    deep color, though I usually don't have much choice on that. Even though I HATE Safeway because of
    their card system, I go there for carrots and Brussels sprouts because they're better there than
    in other stores.

    I also do a brief bending test on each carrot to make sure it's rigid, not rubbery. I also rotate
    the carrot to inspect it for defects. I do this all very fast. Even though I'm filling my bag pretty
    quick, if you watch, you can see I'm doing a lot of inspecting.

    Well, these Chinese ladies seemed to be impressed. They started putting BACK some of the carrots
    they had already picked, at enormous cost of their time and mine. They began pulling out carrots
    from lower in the stack -- I guess they somehow had the idea that was not permitted, that you could
    only take carrots lying on top, but then they saw me pulling carrots out from there.

    They were looking at the carrots in my bag. I'm sure by now those were the ones they wanted. NOT A
    CHANCE! You ladies have already cost me enough -- you're not getting my carrots! The last time I saw
    them, they were still at the stack of carrots tediously scrutinizing and discussing each one.

    Tags:

  2. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Mark Thorson wrote:

    > Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    > decide which ones they wanted.
    >
    > At first, I just went over to get some Brussels sprouts, hoping they would be done by the time I
    > got back to the carrots. No such luck. They had taken at least five minutes (maybe more time
    > before I got there) to pick FIVE carrots! That's a WHOLE MINUTE per carrot!
    >
    > So I stood behind them holding an empty bag hoping they'd get the message and hurry up or move
    > aside or something. They were polite and smiled and moved aside while continuing to discuss the
    > fine points of carrots (I assume) in Chinese.
    >
    > I take very little time picking carrots, though I check for several features. I like small
    > diameter, so I mostly pull carrots from the front of the stack where I can view them end-on. I
    > also like the shape of my carrots to be more cylindrical, rather than turnip-like. I also like a
    > deep color, though I usually don't have much choice on that. Even though I HATE Safeway because of
    > their card system, I go there for carrots and Brussels sprouts because they're better there than
    > in other stores.
    >
    > I also do a brief bending test on each carrot to make sure it's rigid, not rubbery. I also rotate
    > the carrot to inspect it for defects. I do this all very fast. Even though I'm filling my bag
    > pretty quick, if you watch, you can see I'm doing a lot of inspecting.
    >
    > Well, these Chinese ladies seemed to be impressed. They started putting BACK some of the carrots
    > they had already picked, at enormous cost of their time and mine. They began pulling out carrots
    > from lower in the stack -- I guess they somehow had the idea that was not permitted, that you
    > could only take carrots lying on top, but then they saw me pulling carrots out from there.
    >
    > They were looking at the carrots in my bag. I'm sure by now those were the ones they wanted. NOT A
    > CHANCE! You ladies have already cost me enough -- you're not getting my carrots! The last time I
    > saw them, they were still at the stack of carrots tediously scrutinizing and discussing each one.

    Now imagine you are at some ethnic market or another and are trying to pick out some weird kind of
    produce you're never seen before...

    Been there, Bob

  3. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    Mark Schizophrenic Thorson writes:

    >Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    >decide which ones they wanted.
    >
    >At first, I just went over to get some Brussels sprouts, hoping they would be done by the time I
    >got back to the carrots. No such luck. They had taken at least five minutes (maybe more time before
    >I got there) to pick FIVE carrots! That's a WHOLE MINUTE per carrot!
    >
    >So I stood behind them holding an empty bag hoping they'd get the message and hurry up or move
    >aside or something. They were polite and smiled and moved aside while continuing to discuss the
    >fine points of carrots (I assume) in Chinese.
    >
    >I take very little time picking carrots, though I check for several features. I like small
    >diameter, so I mostly pull carrots from the front of the stack where I can view them end-on. I
    >also like the shape of my carrots to be more cylindrical, rather than turnip-like. I also like a
    >deep color, though I usually don't have much choice on that. Even though I HATE Safeway because of
    >their card system, I go there for carrots and Brussels sprouts because they're better there than
    >in other stores.
    >
    >I also do a brief bending test on each carrot to make sure it's rigid, not rubbery. I also rotate
    >the carrot to inspect it for defects. I do this all very fast. Even though I'm filling my bag
    >pretty quick, if you watch, you can see I'm doing a lot of inspecting.
    >
    >Well, these Chinese ladies seemed to be impressed. They started putting BACK some of the carrots
    >they had already picked, at enormous cost of their time and mine. They began pulling out carrots
    >from lower in the stack -- I guess they somehow had the idea that was not permitted, that you could
    >only take carrots lying on top, but then they saw me pulling carrots out from there.
    >
    >They were looking at the carrots in my bag. I'm sure by now those were the ones they wanted. NOT A
    >CHANCE! You ladies have already cost me enough -- you're not getting my carrots! The last time I
    >saw them, they were still at the stack of carrots tediously scrutinizing and discussing each one.

    You and those two wimen would put your efforts to best use choosing a vibrator and a few D cells
    from the Triple X emporium down the road

  4. Levelwave

    Levelwave Guest

    Mark Thorson wrote:

    > Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    > decide which ones they wanted.

    story?... Not that I care of course... but some ladies here (and I'm not mentioning any names -
    Curly Sue) obviously have a *major* problem with it...

    ~john!

    --
    Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it...

  5. Mark Thorson wrote:

    > Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    > decide which ones they wanted.

    Those old Chinese gals can get *real* pushy in the food markets (as can Koreans)....

    --
    Best Greg

  6. Becca

    Becca Guest

    > They were taking forever to decide which ones they wanted.

    I detect zen mantra. Ohmmmmmm.....

    Becca

  7. Paul O'Neill

    Paul O'Neill Guest

    Three elderly Irish ladies were taking forever to pick out a handful of carrots in front of me, in
    the market. So I moved up close behind them, holding an opened empty plastic produce bag, hoping
    they'd get the hint.

    Of course they didn't even notice me, but I now could hear their conversation better. The old lady
    in the center was dissolve in tears, sobbing and overwhelmed with despair. Her friends on either
    side tried to question her as to the cause of her sudden upset.

    "Ah, tell us now Mary, what has upset ye so?", one asked.

    "Twas these carrots, Kathleen," she sobbed. "They have reminded me so much of me late husband, Pat."

    The two friends exchanged raised eyebrow glances at each other, as they huddled around their
    stricken friend that they each supported by an arm.

    "Was it the length of them, that brought poor Pat to your thoughts?" asked the one on her left.

    "Ah, no..., twas not that.", she sighed.

    "Was it the thickness of them, then?", suggested the other friend.

    Another volley of sobs erupted from the stricken woman in the middle.

    "Twas all the dirt on them!"

    An Old joke from the West of Ireland Retrofitted a bit, for this thread.

    Paul (Formerly from Galway)

    "Mark Thorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    > decide which ones they wanted.
    >
    > At first, I just went over to get some Brussels sprouts, hoping they would be done by the time I
    > got back to the carrots. No such luck. They had taken at least five minutes (maybe more time
    > before I got there) to pick FIVE carrots! That's a WHOLE MINUTE per carrot!
    >
    > So I stood behind them holding an empty bag hoping they'd get the message and hurry up or move
    > aside or something. They were polite and smiled and moved aside while continuing to discuss the
    > fine points of carrots (I assume) in Chinese.
    >
    > I take very little time picking carrots, though I check for several features. I like small
    > diameter, so I mostly pull carrots from the front of the stack where I can view them end-on. I
    > also like the shape of my carrots to be more cylindrical, rather than turnip-like. I also like a
    > deep color, though I usually don't have much choice on that. Even though I HATE Safeway because of
    > their card system, I go there for carrots and Brussels sprouts because they're better there than
    > in other stores.
    >
    > I also do a brief bending test on each carrot to make sure it's rigid, not rubbery. I also rotate
    > the carrot to inspect it for defects. I do this all very fast. Even though I'm filling my bag
    > pretty quick, if you watch, you can see I'm doing a lot of inspecting.
    >
    > Well, these Chinese ladies seemed to be impressed. They started putting BACK some of the carrots
    > they had already picked, at enormous cost of their time and mine. They began pulling out carrots
    > from lower in the stack -- I guess they somehow had the idea that was not permitted, that you
    > could only take carrots lying on top, but then they saw me pulling carrots out from there.
    >
    > They were looking at the carrots in my bag. I'm sure by now those were the ones they wanted. NOT A
    > CHANCE! You ladies have already cost me enough -- you're not getting my carrots! The last time I
    > saw them, they were still at the stack of carrots tediously scrutinizing and discussing each one.

  8. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:

    > Now imagine you are at some ethnic market or another and are trying to pick out some weird kind of
    > produce you're never seen before...

    They don't have carrots in China?

  9. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    levelwave wrote:
    > Mark Thorson wrote:
    >
    >> Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    >> decide which ones they wanted.
    >

    > story?... Not that I care of course... but some ladies here (and I'm not mentioning any names -
    > Curly Sue) obviously have a *major* problem with it...
    >
    > ~john!

    It provides some details to the characters, and a context. It could have

    story bothers you, substitute "two persons" for for two elderly Chinese women. (But then what does
    *two* have to do with it? Why couldn't it have been 3?)

    Best regards, Bob

  10. Cypherpunk

    Cypherpunk Guest

    I figured youz would say dat Sheldong. Surprised youz didn't mention cucumbers though.

    PENFART01 wrote:

    > Mark Schizophrenic Thorson writes:
    >
    > >Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    > >decide which ones they wanted.
    > >
    > >At first, I just went over to get some Brussels sprouts, hoping they would be done by the time I
    > >got back to the carrots. No such luck. They had taken at least five minutes (maybe more time
    > >before I got there) to pick FIVE carrots! That's a WHOLE MINUTE per carrot!
    > >
    > >So I stood behind them holding an empty bag hoping they'd get the message and hurry up or move
    > >aside or something. They were polite and smiled and moved aside while continuing to discuss the
    > >fine points of carrots (I assume) in Chinese.
    > >
    > >I take very little time picking carrots, though I check for several features. I like small
    > >diameter, so I mostly pull carrots from the front of the stack where I can view them end-on. I
    > >also like the shape of my carrots to be more cylindrical, rather than turnip-like. I also like a
    > >deep color, though I usually don't have much choice on that. Even though I HATE Safeway because
    > >of their card system, I go there for carrots and Brussels sprouts because they're better there
    > >than in other stores.
    > >
    > >I also do a brief bending test on each carrot to make sure it's rigid, not rubbery. I also rotate
    > >the carrot to inspect it for defects. I do this all very fast. Even though I'm filling my bag
    > >pretty quick, if you watch, you can see I'm doing a lot of inspecting.
    > >
    > >Well, these Chinese ladies seemed to be impressed. They started putting BACK some of the carrots
    > >they had already picked, at enormous cost of their time and mine. They began pulling out carrots
    > >from lower in the stack -- I guess they somehow had the idea that was not permitted, that you
    > >could only take carrots lying on top, but then they saw me pulling carrots out from there.
    > >
    > >They were looking at the carrots in my bag. I'm sure by now those were the ones they wanted.
    > >NOT A CHANCE! You ladies have already cost me enough -- you're not getting my carrots! The last
    > >time I saw them, they were still at the stack of carrots tediously scrutinizing and discussing
    > >each one.
    >
    > You and those two wimen would put your efforts to best use choosing a vibrator and a few D cells
    > from the Triple X emporium down the road
    >
    > ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
    > ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  11. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 23:46:31 -0500, levelwave <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Mark Thorson wrote:
    >
    >> Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    >> decide which ones they wanted.
    >

    >story?... Not that I care of course... but some ladies here (and I'm not mentioning any names -
    >Curly Sue) obviously have a *major* problem with it...
    >
    >~john!

    "Major problem"? Wow you are sensitive! How do you get through the day without being reduced to a
    quivering mass of insecurity, brought to tears whenever anyone questions you? In the thread to
    which you refer, I merely asked what the fact that the subject was an elderly black handicapped
    woman have to do with the story which was under the ranting topic of "customers are idiots" (or
    whatever). The implication that it bothered me was added by you, who clearly was bothered by my
    question. Get over it.

  12. Sheryl Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    in article [email protected], levelwave at

    > Mark Thorson wrote:
    >
    >> Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    >> decide which ones they wanted.
    >

    > story?... Not that I care of course... but some ladies here (and I'm not mentioning any names -
    > Curly Sue) obviously have a *major* problem with it...
    >
    > ~john!

    He's telling a story. We weren't there, he was. He is describing the scene. A good story teller
    provides details so that you can visualize it the way he witnessed it. Ever read Hemingway?
    Faulkner? It takes them 3 paragraphs to describe the evening air. But when you finish reading those
    3 paragraphs, you can almost SMELL it, they described it so vividly.

    By providing the detail that they were elderly, chinese ladies, you immediately get a visual in your
    mind. If he had just said "two people", the story wouldn't have been as interesting to read.

    I don't really choose carrots, they come in bags of 1, 2 or 5 lbs around here. When I buy 1 or 2
    from a loose bin, there aren't many to choose from, and I actually usually go for really thick ones,
    i find they are sweeter, or at least, they taste better to me.

  13. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Mark Thorson wrote:
    > zxcvbob wrote:
    >

    >>Now imagine you are at some ethnic market or another and are trying to pick out some weird kind of
    >>produce you're never seen before...
    >

    > They don't have carrots in China?

    I don't know. But I remember how long it took me to pick out just the right baby coconut, when I
    didn't have the slightest idea how to pick a good one. And the "green tunas" (cactus fruits.)

    Best regards, Bob

  14. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Mark Thorson wrote:
    > zxcvbob wrote:
    >
    >> Now imagine you are at some ethnic market or another and are trying to pick out some weird kind
    >> of produce you're never seen before...
    >
    > They don't have carrots in China?

    I've heard of Chinese cabbage, bok choy, bean sprouts, spring onions, snap beans, snow peas,
    squashes... had many different vegetables in Thailand. I don't recall carrots being in the markets
    over there. So perhaps they really aren't used to carrots.

    Jill

  15. Katra

    Katra Guest

    Prolly 'cause it'd make him feel inferior:

    http://lalaland.cl.msu.edu/~vanhoose/humor/0563.html

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I figured youz would say dat Sheldong. Surprised youz didn't mention cucumbers though.
    >
    > PENFART01 wrote:
    > >
    > > Mark Schizophrenic Thorson writes:
    > >
    > > >Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    > > >decide which ones they wanted.
    > > >
    > > >At first, I just went over to get some Brussels sprouts, hoping they would be done by the time
    > > >I got back to the carrots. No such luck. They had taken at least five minutes (maybe more time
    > > >before I got there) to pick FIVE carrots! That's a WHOLE MINUTE per carrot!
    > > >
    > > >So I stood behind them holding an empty bag hoping they'd get the message and hurry up or move
    > > >aside or something. They were polite and smiled and moved aside while continuing to discuss the
    > > >fine points of carrots (I assume) in Chinese.
    > > >
    > > >I take very little time picking carrots, though I check for several features. I like small
    > > >diameter, so I mostly pull carrots from the front of the stack where I can view them end-on. I
    > > >also like the shape of my carrots to be more cylindrical, rather than turnip-like. I also like
    > > >a deep color, though I usually don't have much choice on that. Even though I HATE Safeway
    > > >because of their card system, I go there for carrots and Brussels sprouts because they're
    > > >better there than in other stores.
    > > >
    > > >I also do a brief bending test on each carrot to make sure it's rigid, not rubbery. I also
    > > >rotate the carrot to inspect it for defects. I do this all very fast. Even though I'm filling
    > > >my bag pretty quick, if you watch, you can see I'm doing a lot of inspecting.
    > > >
    > > >Well, these Chinese ladies seemed to be impressed. They started putting BACK some of the
    > > >carrots they had already picked, at enormous cost of their time and mine. They began pulling
    > > >out carrots from lower in the stack -- I guess they somehow had the idea that was not
    > > >permitted, that you could only take carrots lying on top, but then they saw me pulling carrots
    > > >out from there.
    > > >
    > > >They were looking at the carrots in my bag. I'm sure by now those were the ones they wanted.
    > > >NOT A CHANCE! You ladies have already cost me enough -- you're not getting my carrots! The last
    > > >time I saw them, they were still at the stack of carrots tediously scrutinizing and discussing
    > > >each one.
    > >
    > > You and those two wimen would put your efforts to best use choosing a vibrator and a few D cells
    > > from the Triple X emporium down the road
    > >
    > > ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
    > > ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

    --
    >^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< [email protected] >^,,^<

    "There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by
    cats" -- Asimov

    Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-
    cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=katra

  16. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 02:31:32 GMT, Mark Thorson <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >zxcvbob wrote:
    >
    >> Now imagine you are at some ethnic market or another and are trying to pick out some weird kind
    >> of produce you're never seen before...
    >
    >They don't have carrots in China?

    I have been told by one Chinese young lady that carrots are not used in Chinese cooking and
    therefore they are not liked very much.

    Of course, I always take such statements with a grain of salt, keeping in mind some of the things a
    friend told his foreign-born wife about American family life and mealtime routines. Strangely
    enough, the life of a typical American family ended up looking like the life of a bachelor. ;>

  17. Tony Lew

    Tony Lew Guest

    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > levelwave wrote:
    > > Mark Thorson wrote:
    > >
    > >> Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    > >> decide which ones they wanted.
    > >

    > > story?... Not that I care of course... but some ladies here (and I'm not mentioning any names -
    > > Curly Sue) obviously have a *major* problem with it...
    > >
    > > ~john!
    > >

    > It provides some details to the characters, and a context. It could have

    This is pretty much the same "explanation" a poster in another group gave when he was accused of
    being anti-Semitic for calling somone a "lying Jew".

    > If the story bothers you, substitute "two persons" for for two elderly Chinese women. (But then
    > what does *two* have to do with it? Why couldn't it have been 3?)

    > Best regards, Bob

  18. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:

    > levelwave wrote:
    > > Mark Thorson wrote:
    > >
    > >> Today I was annoyed by two elderly Chinese ladies picking carrots. They were taking forever to
    > >> decide which ones they wanted.
    > >

    > > story?... Not that I care of course... but some ladies here (and I'm not mentioning any names -
    > > Curly Sue) obviously have a *major* problem with it...

    > It provides some details to the characters, and a context. It could have

    I read just recently that as people age, they become more oblivious to their surroundings. I believe
    it, the store I frequent is in front of senior citizen housing, so I get to shop with a lot of
    elderly people. They literally do not have a clue people are waiting for them to move. I'm not being
    mean, it's just a fact.

    The original story reminded me of a time I wanted tomatoes. Well, this elderly man (there, I said
    it) was picking through the tomatoes with deep concentration. It was a stack of cartons of stem
    tomatoes. I waited. Waited. He actually starts unstacking the cartons, looking for that ONE special
    tomato. Fine, I'll go find garlic, maybe he'll be gone by the time I get back. He was gone all
    right, replaced by and elderly woman with similar dedication to get just the right tomato. Neither
    one had any clue I was standing there waiting.

    nancy

  19. Becca

    Becca Guest

    Sheryl Rosen wrote:

    > I don't really choose carrots, they come in bags of 1, 2 or 5 lbs around here.

    In my corner of Texas, you can no longer buy a handful of okra. Now, the okra comes in plastic
    square boxes. I can not buy 6 okra pods I now have to buy a whole pound of it. All of the stores
    made this chang at the same time - all of them.

    I am rebelling. No more okra for me. I will buy the frozen stuff until I can get to a
    farmer's market.

    Becca

  20. Levelwave

    Levelwave Guest

    Sheryl Rosen wrote:

    > He's telling a story. We weren't there, he was. He is describing the scene. A good story teller
    > provides details so that you can visualize it the way he witnessed it. Ever read Hemingway?
    > Faulkner? It takes them 3 paragraphs to describe the evening air. But when you finish reading
    > those 3 paragraphs, you can almost SMELL it, they described it so vividly.
    >
    > By providing the detail that they were elderly, chinese ladies, you immediately get a visual in
    > your mind. If he had just said "two people", the story wouldn't have been as interesting to read.

    Thank you Sheryl. You just proved my point. Now where were you when I was getting flamed for this
    *exact* same thing? ;)

    A few months ago I started my story with "An elderly black lady in a wheel chair" to "describe the
    scene" just as Mark did... and I got Flamed pretty bad... I guess it's OK to mention their race if
    it's Chinese and not Black... too funny...

    ~john!

    --
    What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look away...