Two free frames + bits, Ipswich/Colchester area

Nigel Cliffe

Guest
OK, not quite as good as the title might suggest, but here goes:

1). Dawes Galaxy(*), probably mid 1970s. 23in high, 23in long (centre
tubes). Rear is 130mm wide (I guess re-spaced). 27in wheels (possibly
usable). 3x6 gears (poor condition). Flat bars. No saddle. Mudguards
buggered. If no takers I'll strip bits off it for my parts box (probably
just the brakes), then take remains to tip/recycling centre.

2). British Eagle Touristique frame, forks, handlebars (531 frame, pretty
good for its period, 1980's or early 90's ?). 22in high, 22in long (to
centre of tubes). 130mm rear. Cantilever bosses.
Frame showing too much rust for my liking; LH horizontal stay very bubbly
and not nice looking, small crack in bottom bracket shell. Forks showing
bubbling to rear just below crown.
I'm not willing to risk riding having found the rust (forks in particular),
had originally collected it in hope of building up a winter bike from it.
Recoverable if you have skills/time/money to repair frame.

You collect from south of Ipswich. Contact me before Tuesday next week, or
they go to the tip/recycling. I can be emailed through ncliffe at
btinternet dot com.

(* I'm told its a Galaxy, but its been repainted in household dark paint, so
no obvious markings to distinguish. Looks well made frame, and I am inclined
to believe the person who gave it to me).

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

in message <[email protected]>, Nigel Cliffe
('[email protected]') wrote:

> OK, not quite as good as the title might suggest, but here goes:
>
> 1). Dawes Galaxy(*), probably mid 1970s. 23in high, 23in long (centre
> tubes). Rear is 130mm wide (I guess re-spaced). 27in wheels (possibly
> usable). 3x6 gears (poor condition). Flat bars. No saddle. Mudguards
> buggered. If no takers I'll strip bits off it for my parts box (probably
> just the brakes), then take remains to tip/recycling centre.

Is there any sign of Reynolds decals on the frame or forks? I appreciate if
they're painted over you won't be able to read them, but can you see any
outlines? The ones on the forks would be just below the crown and would be
triangular. Also, what does it weigh? Can you tell by tapping along the
tubes whether they are double butted?

If it's a 531 frame in anything like usable condition, it's a real shame to
scrap it. Oh - canti bosses?

The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
;; of me, by a 'friend'

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Nigel Cliffe
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> OK, not quite as good as the title might suggest, but here goes:
>>
>> 1). Dawes Galaxy(*), probably mid 1970s. 23in high, 23in long
>> (centre tubes). Rear is 130mm wide (I guess re-spaced). 27in wheels
>> (possibly usable). 3x6 gears (poor condition). Flat bars. No saddle.
>> Mudguards buggered. If no takers I'll strip bits off it for my
>> parts box (probably just the brakes), then take remains to
>> tip/recycling centre.

> Is there any sign of Reynolds decals on the frame or forks? I
> appreciate if they're painted over you won't be able to read them,
> but can you see any outlines? The ones on the forks would be just
> below the crown and would be triangular. Also, what does it weigh?
> Can you tell by tapping along the tubes whether they are double
> butted?
>
> If it's a 531 frame in anything like usable condition, it's a real
> shame to scrap it. Oh - canti bosses?

Too old for cantilever bosses; brakes are the Weinmann twin pivot with canti
wire above design. I'd not stripped that one down to components so judging
weight wasn't possible.

Anyway, I've had a taker for both; someone who has a hobby of patching
together bikes from bits. So offering here and one other place was
successful.

- Nigel