two generator lights?

I noticed that with hub generator lights, they say you can have a
primary and secondary light.

If I hook up 2 3W lights to a single hub, do I get 6W of output
( double a single) or half from each light?

Can you see pretty well with 1/2 lights from a generator hub?

[email protected] wrote:
> I noticed that with hub generator lights, they say you can have a
> primary and secondary light.
>
> If I hook up 2 3W lights to a single hub, do I get 6W of output
> ( double a single) or half from each light?
>
> Can you see pretty well with 1/2 lights from a generator hub?

You get 6W (12V 0.5A), both lights at full power provided your speed is
sufficient. However, if you're thinking of buying the halogen Schmidt
E6 and E6Z pairing (which are designed to do this), forget it: you'll
get far more light at the same price from a single Supernova E3. That
kicks out almost as much light as a low-powered HID system.

In article
<5baf0b35-ca77-4897-98e2-c0ddc628e0ab@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
[email protected] wrote:

> I noticed that with hub generator lights, they say you can have a
> primary and secondary light.
>
> If I hook up 2 3W lights to a single hub, do I get 6W of output (
> double a single) or half from each light?
>
> Can you see pretty well with 1/2 lights from a generator hub?

You get full power (3W) from both lights once your speed is high enough.
But since I can see well enough with one 3W light with good options
(e.g., Lumotec or Lumotec Oval) I've never felt a need to have a second
light. YMMV.

On Jan 14, 12:22 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I noticed that with hub generator lights, they say you can have a
> primary and secondary light.
>
> If I hook up 2 3W lights to a single hub, do I get 6W of output
> ( double a single) or half from each light?
>
> Can you see pretty well with 1/2 lights from a generator hub?

As others have said, you get 3 watts from each light. So 6 watts if
you add them up. Problem with the Schmidt E6 primary and secondary
lights is the secondary doesn't add that much extra light. I have
this setup powered by a Shimano generator hub. I'd say 75% of the
light is from the primary and the secondary adds the other 25%. I'd
advise investigating the new LEDs powered by a generator as mentioned
on other threads. Or if going with halogen, just get the primary
Schmidt E6 only. The Schmidt E6 outshines all the other halogen 3
watt lights.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <5baf0b35-ca77-4897-98e2-c0ddc628e0ab@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> I noticed that with hub generator lights, they say you can have a
>> primary and secondary light.
>>
>> If I hook up 2 3W lights to a single hub, do I get 6W of output (
>> double a single) or half from each light?
>>
>> Can you see pretty well with 1/2 lights from a generator hub?

> You get full power (3W) from both lights once your speed is high enough.
> But since I can see well enough with one 3W light with good options
> (e.g., Lumotec or Lumotec Oval) I've never felt a need to have a second
> light. YMMV.

Try an IQ fly in place of the lumotec Oval - while the latter is good
enough, the former is actually quite impressive :)

cheers,
clive

In article <[email protected]>,
"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article
> > <5baf0b35-ca77-4897-98e2-c0ddc628e0ab@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >> I noticed that with hub generator lights, they say you can have a
> >> primary and secondary light.
> >>
> >> If I hook up 2 3W lights to a single hub, do I get 6W of output (
> >> double a single) or half from each light?
> >>
> >> Can you see pretty well with 1/2 lights from a generator hub?

> > You get full power (3W) from both lights once your speed is high
> > enough. But since I can see well enough with one 3W light with good
> > options (e.g., Lumotec or Lumotec Oval) I've never felt a need to
> > have a second light. YMMV.

> Try an IQ fly in place of the lumotec Oval - while the latter is good
> enough, the former is actually quite impressive :)

Are those the ones with the electronics that melted if you went fast
without a taillight?

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > In article
>> > <5baf0b35-ca77-4897-98e2-c0ddc628e0ab@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

>> > You get full power (3W) from both lights once your speed is high
>> > enough. But since I can see well enough with one 3W light with good
>> > options (e.g., Lumotec or Lumotec Oval) I've never felt a need to
>> > have a second light. YMMV.

>> Try an IQ fly in place of the lumotec Oval - while the latter is good
>> enough, the former is actually quite impressive :)

> Are those the ones with the electronics that melted if you went fast
> without a taillight?

Guess I get to find out :)

I've not heard of them melting yet. I've not got a tail light in parallel
with it, just some red LEDs in series, which obviously doesn't limit the
current. Didn't blow at 40mph today though.

cheers,
clive

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jan 14, 12:22 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> I noticed that with hub generator lights, they say you can have a
>> primary and secondary light.
>>
>> If I hook up 2 3W lights to a single hub, do I get 6W of output
>> ( double a single) or half from each light?
>>
>> Can you see pretty well with 1/2 lights from a generator hub?

> As others have said, you get 3 watts from each light. So 6 watts if
> you add them up. Problem with the Schmidt E6 primary and secondary
> lights is the secondary doesn't add that much extra light. I have
> this setup powered by a Shimano generator hub. I'd say 75% of the
> light is from the primary and the secondary adds the other 25%.

How can you tell? Can you be sure it isn't the other way round? I ask as
these lights have identical lightoutput and beampatterns! ;)

How much usefullness the second light adds depends on the way you set
them up. E6's have a narrow focussed beampattern, having the beams
overlap doesn't help much

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On Jan 14, 12:22 pm, [email protected] wrote:

<snip>
>Problem with the Schmidt E6 primary and secondary
>lights is the secondary doesn't add that much extra light.

<snip>

They put out exactly the same amount of light when up to speed (on my bike
about 12 km/hr). So you are perceiving twice as much light as not "much
extra light".

BobT

On Jan 15, 1:28 am, M-gineering <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Jan 14, 12:22 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> >> I noticed that with hub generator lights, they say you can have a
> >> primary and secondary light.

> >> If I hook up 2 3W lights to a single hub, do I get 6W of output
> >> ( double a single) or half from each light?

> >> Can you see pretty well with 1/2 lights from a generator hub?

> > As others have said, you get 3 watts from each light.  So 6 watts if
> > you add them up.  Problem with the Schmidt E6 primary and secondary
> > lights is the secondary doesn't add that much extra light.  I have
> > this setup powered by a Shimano generator hub.  I'd say 75% of the
> > light is from the primary and the secondary adds the other 25%.

> How can you tell? Can you be sure it isn't the other way round? I ask as
> these lights have identical lightoutput and beampatterns! ;)

Easy to tell. There is a switch so you can turn on just the primary
light and then turn on the secondary light when you are rolling at a
good pace. Light does not double. Pretty easy to tell that.

BobT wrote:

> They put out exactly the same amount of light when up to speed (on my bike
> about 12 km/hr). So you are perceiving twice as much light as not "much
> extra light".

I think the issue here is that the human eye is not very good at
perceiving small increases in brightness. That's why photographers talk
in "stops", one stop being a *doubling* of brightness. Something like a
25% increase in illumination is barely detectable.

On Jan 15, 1:45 pm, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
> BobT wrote:
> > They put out exactly the same amount of light when up to speed (on my bike
> > about 12 km/hr).  So you are perceiving twice as much light as not "much
> > extra light".

> I think the issue here is that the human eye is not very good at
> perceiving small increases in brightness.  That's why photographers talk
> in "stops", one stop being a *doubling* of brightness. Something like a
> 25% increase in illumination is barely detectable.

Quite possible. Which is why I recommend to people they do not buy
the secondary Schmidt E6 light if they go with the primary E6.
Somewhat of a waste of an extra $125+ dollars for not much more light
than the primary E6. Schmidt E6 is a good halogen light. If you're
going halogen, get it. Just it though, not the secondary also. But
now days the new CREE and Seoul Semiconductor LEDs in generator lights
may be much better for about the same cost.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jan 15, 1:45 pm, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
>> BobT wrote:
>>> They put out exactly the same amount of light when up to speed (on my bike
>>> about 12 km/hr). So you are perceiving twice as much light as not "much
>>> extra light".

>> I think the issue here is that the human eye is not very good at
>> perceiving small increases in brightness. That's why photographers talk
>> in "stops", one stop being a *doubling* of brightness. Something like a
>> 25% increase in illumination is barely detectable.

> Quite possible. Which is why I recommend to people they do not buy
> the secondary Schmidt E6 light if they go with the primary E6.
> Somewhat of a waste of an extra $125+ dollars for not much more light
> than the primary E6. Schmidt E6 is a good halogen light. If you're
> going halogen, get it. Just it though, not the secondary also. But
> now days the new CREE and Seoul Semiconductor LEDs in generator lights
> may be much better for about the same cost.

Yup, the Supernova light uses a Seoul P4 LED and is 130UKP direct from
the factory in Germany (despite the weak pound against the euro),
compared to 125UKP for an E6 and E6-Z.