Two lorry drivers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The Oldfellow, Sep 15, 2004.

  1. Riding to Wokingham this morning I heard this enormous gnashing of gears
    behind me. It was a billion tonne Terranova Crane slowing as my primary
    positioning left him little legal choice. He wouldn't ever have got
    past me with that thing even if I'd ridden in the gutter.

    I pulled off into a drive a hundred metres later and got a very cheery
    'thank you' from the left-hand-driver.

    This put me in such a good frame of mind that I repeated it for a
    skip-truck a few kilometers further along - and got a wave!

    Perhaps they're human after all.

    R.

    Tags:

  2. >Riding to Wokingham this morning I heard this enormous gnashing of gears
    >behind me. It was a billion tonne Terranova Crane slowing as my primary
    >positioning left him little legal choice. He wouldn't ever have got
    >past me with that thing even if I'd ridden in the gutter.
    >
    >I pulled off into a drive a hundred metres later and got a very cheery
    >'thank you' from the left-hand-driver.
    >
    >This put me in such a good frame of mind that I repeated it for a
    >skip-truck a few kilometers further along - and got a wave!
    >
    >Perhaps they're human after all.
    >
    >R.

    There's quite a few HGVs in my neck of the woods, due to a quarry being nearby,
    plus all the crops being harvested and various rural industrial estates. I find
    HGV drivers to usually be extremely courteous, much more so than car drivers or
    White Van Man [TM]. Worst of all are BMW & 4-wheel drive things, who love to
    bomb along narrow country lanes imagining they are doing a stage of the RAC
    Rally on their own personal rally track :-( I've had an HGV driver hold up the
    traffic on a busy main road to allow little me on my bicycle safe passage
    across said road. Lovely man!

    Cheers, helen s

  3. On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:55:03 GMT, The Oldfellow <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    [...]
    > I pulled off into a drive a hundred metres later and got a very cheery
    > 'thank you' from the left-hand-driver.
    >
    > This put me in such a good frame of mind that I repeated it for a
    > skip-truck a few kilometers further along - and got a wave!
    >
    > Perhaps they're human after all.

    Yes, they are. My dad was one until he retired and he's definitely human.
    Lorries can have real problems overtaking and I try to pull in and let
    them past when it's safe to do so. On one occasion last year I pulled into
    the entrance to a farm to let a truck pass me---having first looked back
    to check he wasn't indicating to pull into that farm! What I didn't
    realise was that just around the bend the road dropped and wound so much
    that the lorry was slower than I would have been on the descent. Still,
    the driver pipped his thanks when he'd overtaken and gave me a second wave
    when we'd both got to the bottom of the hill----I like to think he was
    acknowledging the sacrifice I'd made in arriving at the pub almost 30
    seconds later than I would have otherwise :)

    Colin

  4. Succorso

    Succorso Guest

    > .... Worst of all are BMW & 4-wheel drive things, who love to
    > bomb along narrow country lanes imagining they are doing a stage of the RAC

    <calls downstairs> "I'm sure she doesn't mean you my dear..."

    Our 4x4 is very well behaved - and much more cycle friendly since I
    started riding ;)

    --
    Chris

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message

    > There's quite a few HGVs in my neck of the woods, due to a quarry being
    > nearby,
    > plus all the crops being harvested and various rural industrial estates. I
    > find
    > HGV drivers to usually be extremely courteous, much more so than car
    > drivers or
    > White Van Man [TM].

    I agree. I ride to work along a very busy docks road and nearly all of the
    HGV drivers move over into the overtaking lane to pass, whereas the WV
    drivers almost take your head off with their door mirrors.

    --

    Simon M.

  6. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]lid says...
    > Riding to Wokingham this morning I heard this enormous gnashing of gears
    > behind me. It was a billion tonne Terranova Crane slowing as my primary
    > positioning left him little legal choice. He wouldn't ever have got
    > past me with that thing even if I'd ridden in the gutter.
    >
    > I pulled off into a drive a hundred metres later and got a very cheery
    > 'thank you' from the left-hand-driver.
    >
    > This put me in such a good frame of mind that I repeated it for a
    > skip-truck a few kilometers further along - and got a wave!
    >
    > Perhaps they're human after all.

    There is a great deal more work to be done in driving very large
    vehicles and the drivers who do so tend to be better than their more
    casual counterparts. There are exceptions on both sides but I've never
    had any real grief from lorries.

    Jon

  7. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Jon Senior" <[email protected]_DOT_co_DOT_uk.remove> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > There is a great deal more work to be done in driving very large
    > vehicles and the drivers who do so tend to be better than their more
    > casual counterparts. There are exceptions on both sides but I've never
    > had any real grief from lorries.

    The HGV tests are far more rigourous than the basic driving test.

    --
    SimonM.

  8. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > The HGV tests are far more rigourous than the basic driving test.

    I know... I'm currently learning! The observation about driving them was
    based on doing Edinburgh-Newcastle and back the other week in a 7.5T
    truck.

    Jon

  9. The Oldfellow wrote:

    > Perhaps they're human after all.

    Gerry, who rides with Reading CTC, is a lorry driver. The opinion of
    t'committe is that he is a diamond geezer.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
    University

  10. Pete White

    Pete White Guest

    The Oldfellow wrote:
    > Riding to Wokingham this morning I heard this enormous gnashing of gears
    > behind me. It was a billion tonne Terranova Crane slowing as my primary
    > positioning left him little legal choice. He wouldn't ever have got
    > past me with that thing even if I'd ridden in the gutter.
    >
    > I pulled off into a drive a hundred metres later and got a very cheery
    > 'thank you' from the left-hand-driver.
    >
    > This put me in such a good frame of mind that I repeated it for a
    > skip-truck a few kilometers further along - and got a wave!
    >
    > Perhaps they're human after all.
    >
    > R.

    In my experience lorry drivers tend to be the most cycle friendly people
    on the road.

  11. Hywel

    Hywel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, The Oldfellow says...
    > Riding to Wokingham this morning I heard this enormous gnashing of gears
    > behind me. It was a billion tonne Terranova Crane slowing as my primary
    > positioning left him little legal choice. He wouldn't ever have got
    > past me with that thing even if I'd ridden in the gutter.
    >
    > I pulled off into a drive a hundred metres later and got a very cheery
    > 'thank you' from the left-hand-driver.
    >
    > This put me in such a good frame of mind that I repeated it for a
    > skip-truck a few kilometers further along - and got a wave!
    >
    > Perhaps they're human after all.

    I've always found tractor and truck drivers to be really patient while
    I'm tootling around Herefordshire. It's the muppets in minibuses that
    really get on my nerves, particularly the tosser in the knackered old
    "JMC" labelled thing that nearly took me out at Symonds Yat a couple of
    weeks ago. If it wasn't for those pesky knobbly tyres I'd have caught
    him, too.

    Last week, while out with a friend and his Lumicycle "brighter than the
    desert sun" lights a bloke in a BMW almost got his car stuck in the
    hedge when he saw us coming at him on a country lane. I imagine he
    thought we were far bigger than we actually are!

    --
    Hywel

    http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

  12. "Jon Senior" <[email protected]_DOT_co_DOT_uk.remove> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected]lid says...
    > > Riding to Wokingham this morning I heard this enormous gnashing of gears
    > > behind me. It was a billion tonne Terranova Crane slowing as my primary
    > > positioning left him little legal choice. He wouldn't ever have got
    > > past me with that thing even if I'd ridden in the gutter.
    > >
    > > I pulled off into a drive a hundred metres later and got a very cheery
    > > 'thank you' from the left-hand-driver.
    > >
    > > This put me in such a good frame of mind that I repeated it for a
    > > skip-truck a few kilometers further along - and got a wave!
    > >
    > > Perhaps they're human after all.

    > There is a great deal more work to be done in driving very large
    > vehicles and the drivers who do so tend to be better than their more
    > casual counterparts. There are exceptions on both sides but I've never
    > had any real grief from lorries.
    >
    > Jon

    HGV drivers do tend to be excellent. Shame the same isn't true about bus
    drivers (around London, at least) who seem about as
    skilled/knowledgable/polite as WVM, but with considerably more killing
    power.

    Mat

  13. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "The Oldfellow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Riding to Wokingham this morning I heard this enormous gnashing of gears
    > behind me. It was a billion tonne Terranova Crane slowing as my primary
    > positioning left him little legal choice. He wouldn't ever have got
    > past me with that thing even if I'd ridden in the gutter.
    >
    > I pulled off into a drive a hundred metres later and got a very cheery
    > 'thank you' from the left-hand-driver.
    >
    > This put me in such a good frame of mind that I repeated it for a
    > skip-truck a few kilometers further along - and got a wave!
    >
    > Perhaps they're human after all.

    Lorry drivers are generally more considerate and predictable than car
    drivers IME. Due to their size and lack of real acceleration I often pull
    over for them.
    Yesterday when driving a lorry pulled into a lay-by on a hill to let the 4
    or 5 of us stuck behind him to pass, not the kind of behaviour shown by a
    lot of doddery gits who are oblivious to all around so absorbed are they by
    counting cats eyes.

    Pete

  14. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Matthew Myatt [email protected] opined the following...
    > HGV drivers do tend to be excellent. Shame the same isn't true about bus
    > drivers (around London, at least) who seem about as
    > skilled/knowledgable/polite as WVM, but with considerably more killing
    > power.

    Funnily enough I was pondering exactly this on my way home (See my rant
    elsewhere!).

    Jon

  15. The Oldfellow wrote:

    > Riding to Wokingham this morning I heard this enormous gnashing of
    > gears behind me. It was a billion tonne Terranova Crane slowing as my
    > primary positioning left him little legal choice. He wouldn't ever
    > have got past me with that thing even if I'd ridden in the gutter.
    >
    > I pulled off into a drive a hundred metres later and got a very cheery
    > 'thank you' from the left-hand-driver.

    Whenever I've pulled off to allow a lorry to go past (generally where
    over-taking would be impossible, and following me at 10mph intolerable)
    I've got a cheery wave.

    "You've sunk my battleship!"

  16. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Hywel
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Last week, while out with a friend and his Lumicycle "brighter than
    > the desert sun" lights a bloke in a BMW almost got his car stuck in
    > the hedge when he saw us coming at him on a country lane.  I imagine
    > he thought we were far bigger than we actually are!

    The nights drawing in somewhat, Juliette and I have been going for our
    constitutional on our hill bikes with our big lights on. Generally
    we've been coming home on the shore road which is 'single track road
    with passing places'. We've been amused by the number of cars which
    have dipped their lights and pulled off into the passing places to wait
    for us to come past...

    I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those
    who are now possible remain possible -- Michael Bakunin

  17. Juliette

    Juliette Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > in message <[email protected]>, Hywel
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > Last week, while out with a friend and his Lumicycle "brighter than
    > > the desert sun" lights a bloke in a BMW almost got his car stuck in
    > > the hedge when he saw us coming at him on a country lane.  I imagine
    > > he thought we were far bigger than we actually are!

    > The nights drawing in somewhat, Juliette and I have been going for our
    > constitutional on our hill bikes with our big lights on. Generally
    > we've been coming home on the shore road which is 'single track road
    > with passing places'. We've been amused by the number of cars which
    > have dipped their lights and pulled off into the passing places to wait
    > for us to come past...

    .... and unamused by the one who switched his lights back up and
    pulled out in front of me when he spotted that I was a cyclist.
    Still, it was nice to be able to flash my lights at him.

    Juliette
    --

  18. mark

    mark Guest

    "Simon Brooke wrote
    > The nights drawing in somewhat, Juliette and I have been going for our
    > constitutional on our hill bikes with our big lights on. Generally
    > we've been coming home on the shore road which is 'single track road
    > with passing places'. We've been amused by the number of cars which
    > have dipped their lights and pulled off into the passing places to wait
    > for us to come past...

    I was pleasantly surprised at how many motorists in Scotland pulled into
    passing places to let me pass on my bicycle, in broad daylight with no
    headlights on my bike to make them think I was a car. Of course they may
    just have wanted to get a look at all my touring gear, especially when I was
    slogging up a 20% grade!
    --
    mark

  19. njf>badger

    njf>badger Guest

    The Oldfellow wrote:

    > This put me in such a good frame of mind that I repeated it for a
    > skip-truck a few kilometers further along - and got a wave!

    Thats unusual, skip drivers are on a production bonus usually, and
    rarely take prisoners!

  20. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:56:17 +0100, njf>badger< <njf>badger<@soton.ac.uk> wrote:

    > The Oldfellow wrote:
    >
    > > This put me in such a good frame of mind that I repeated it for a
    > > skip-truck a few kilometers further along - and got a wave!

    > Thats unusual, skip drivers are on a production bonus usually, and
    > rarely take prisoners!

    I agree skip trucks are generally the worst of teh lorries, but
    they're still better than most of the WVMand pretty much all of teh
    BMWs.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig