Two Man Time Trial Pacing

cclarke

Jan 22, 2005
Anybody have an opinion about how often to switch leads in a two man 40k time trial with riders of roughly equal ability but one is big and the other is small?

cclarke said:
Anybody have an opinion about how often to switch leads in a two man 40k time trial with riders of roughly equal ability but one is big and the other is small?
The best solution I found was not to have a plan, but to ride together, if you feel that your going to slow, move to the front. Likewise if your to tired and on the front, flick of the elbow to let the other rider know its time to come through. This way I found that each rider rides to his/her strengths, or each rider is pulled through by the other on their weaker points.

I don't think that having a specific schedule is correct in more than one TT's. If you look at how the good pro-teams ride the TT riders will do longer pulls at a slower speed, but one that the whole team can maintain, like wise the slower riders will still pull at that speed but only for as long as they can sustain, so shorter pulls.

cclarke said:
They definitely need to train together to get a good feel for riding as a team, but I'd say 30-sec rotations are a good place to start. I'd probably experiment upwards from there, towards about 1 minute for a long TT.

If they truly are equal in their abilities (ie, power output capability), having the smaller rider generally pulling the uphills and the larger rider pulling downhill will provide the greatest benefit to their size diversity.