Two Months Off... Back... Now What?

Hippy

Guest
I've just had two months off due to shattering my collarbone and a holiday to Japan and I find
myself waaaay below my previous "fitness" level (if you could ever call me fit).

What is the fastest way to get back to where I was or hopefully better?

Should I concentrate on LSD (long slow distance not the hallucinogen!) or should I just start racing
again and suffer the losses knowing I'll probably get faster, quicker?

I can now ride the road bike again so that's ~50k per week day but I'm yet to do any long rides on a
weekend - my undercarriage might not handle the stress, if you know what I mean! ;-)

No MTB or trials for a while yet though :-(

cheers hippy

On Mon, 05 May 2003 13:09:01 GMT, "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've just had two months off due to shattering my collarbone and a holiday to Japan and I find
>myself waaaay below my previous "fitness" level (if you could ever call me fit).

Similar thing happened to me hippy. Horrible ain't it?

>What is the fastest way to get back to where I was or hopefully better?

Same way you got there in the first place. It just seems like a longer haul because you are so aware
of 'then' vs 'now'. ie: "Here we go again....." <sigh>

Armstrong's training proggy and post-cancer comeback books are good motivational stuff during to
psyche you during your recovery.

cheers

Iguana Bwana

"The first wealth is health."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

> I've just had two months off due to shattering my collarbone and a holiday to Japan and I find
> myself waaaay below my previous "fitness" level (if you could ever call me fit).
>
> What is the fastest way to get back to where I was or hopefully better?

Although some fitness indices decline after only a very few days, some of the benefit of previous
training is retained after much longer periods than two months. Your return to your previous level
should take much less time than it took to get there the first time.

I suggest a short block of LSD work before adding more intense training.

John Retchford

Hey Hip! Welcome back. :) You racing METEC this Sunday? Oh, and I saw you mentioned on the Blackburn Website. Good on ya. ;) Should break ya collarbone more often for the glory of it all. :p

Having never broken anything in my time as a 'serious' cyclist, I am unable to give first hand experience. However, immediately after Chris Boardman broke his collarbone, he got back on the rollers pretty soon afterwards (we're talking under a month) and then came back again racing and doing some serious training pretty soon after that. However, not knowing how bad your collarbone was broken, and the fact that you went away to Japan for a while, (how was it, by the way :)? Where did you go to?) I'm not sure how much your form has dropped off. I'd recommend some LSD, maybe some crack... ;)

See ya round Stu, aye? :)

> >I've just had two months off due to shattering my collarbone and a holiday to Japan and I find
> >myself waaaay below my previous "fitness" level (if you could ever call me fit).
>
> Similar thing happened to me hippy. Horrible ain't it?

Yeah, pretty damn annoying! My boss broke his less than a week before I did mine - mountain biking
too :) With another guy's dislocated shoulder, we had 3 out of 8 staff with arms in slings! :)

> Same way you got there in the first place. It just seems like a longer haul because you are so
> aware of 'then' vs 'now'. ie: "Here we go again....." <sigh>

Yeah, that's precisely how it seems.. oh well, not much I can do.

> Armstrong's training proggy and post-cancer comeback books are good motivational stuff during to
> psyche you during your recovery.

I read "It's Not About the Bike" while sitting in the waiting room on my second visit to the
hospital, the day after the crash! :) Great, motivational book! What's the training program like? Is
it fairly strict? Can it be adapted to time I have available and things like that?

> cheers Iguana Bwana

Thanks muchly! hip

"Etxy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hey Hip! Welcome back. :) You racing METEC this Sunday? Oh, and I saw you mentioned on the
> Blackburn Website. Good on ya. ;) Should break ya collarbone more often for the glory of
> it all. :p

Cheers! I actually found that I gained fame from crashing much more than I did from winning so.. I
guess you know my plan now :) I'm still debating over racing.. hmm but METEC is so close.. but I
will lose... but I will get faster... but I will lose... but I will feel good after
it... but my arm still hurts and I'm supposed to take it easy... but I 'could' win - pull out a
Bradbury (the guy that won the ice skating gold when everyone else crashed out ;-) )

> Having never broken anything in my time as a 'serious' cyclist, I am unable to give first hand
> experience. However, immediately after Chris Boardman broke his collarbone, he got back on the
> rollers pretty soon afterwards (we're talking under a month) and then came back again
racing

Well, I was back on the mag trainer within a week, but in Japan I did nothing at all ('cept eat
;-)). I just lowered the seat on the bike so I could get on it without putting much weight on my
arm, then spun to extreme mtb videos
:)
My boss was back up and running much sooner but his break was a straight split, mine was smashed
into a few pieces: <www.openwindows.com.au/hippy/web/Cycling/MTB/230203_Lerderderg/xrays.ht
m>

> away to Japan for a while, (how was it, by the way :)? Where did you
go
> to?) I'm not sure how much your form has dropped off. I'd recommend
some
> LSD, maybe some crack... ;)

mmm crack... ;-)

Japan was totally ace! Sooo different to here. Landscape differs, language, culture, history, cars,
trains, bikes, clothes, everything! I mean, it's obvious things will be different in another country
but there's just so much that catches your eye, just walking down the street (no, I'm not talking
about the ladies that work in "snack bars" either! ;-) ). I'm working on getting some pix up, mostly
their beautiful gardens and temples. Certainly not everyone's cup of green tea but I loved the place
and the people. Oh and the sushi, okonomiyaki and the BEER! ;-)

> See ya round Stu, aye? :)
That you will... ;-) hip