Two more terrible cycling deaths today

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by scotty72, Sep 24, 2005.

  1. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    There were two more terrible cycling deaths today.

    One along the M4 near St. Marys, another not far from Canberra.

    And how did the Sydney Moaning Herald report this?

    Did they alert the public to the dangers of cyclist face? Did they urge
    motorists to take care around cyclists?

    No, all they did was seek to blame the dead cyclist for causing a traffic
    jam.

    "Cycling accident causes M4 delays"

    <A href="http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cycling-accident-causes-m4-delays/2005/0" target=_blank>http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cycling-accident-causes-m4-delays/2005/09/24/1126982257674.html

    No wonder motorist treat us with contempt when that pathetic rag seems to
    think that a cycling fatality is no more serious than a "[traffic] delay".

    Bastards

    Scotty

    PS. Channel Packer just reported the deceased cyclist as a senior (NSW)
    policeman. Maybe the cops might start taking anti cycling road rage a touch
    more seriously now. May he rest in peace.

    Tags:

  2. Scotty...It's good to read the full article...

    "One male cyclist was killed and another injured when they collided on
    a motorway in Sydney's west today.

    All westbound lanes of the M4 have been closed following the accident
    about 8am today, a NSW police spokeswoman said.

    Witnesses have told police two cyclists were travelling in the same
    direction in the breakdown lane when they collided."

    Seems to me that one cyclist caused the death of a fellow cyclist
    (wonder if they knew each other or were related?).

    What were they doing cycling in the breakdown lane? Were their
    bicycles broken?

    ihatepoliticalcorrectness

    scotty72 wrote:
    > There were two more terrible cycling deaths today.
    >
    > One along the M4 near St. Marys, another not far from Canberra.
    >
    > And how did the Sydney Moaning Herald report this?
    >
    > Did they alert the public to the dangers of cyclist face? Did they urge
    > motorists to take care around cyclists?
    >
    > No, all they did was seek to blame the dead cyclist for causing a
    > traffic
    > jam.
    >
    > "Cycling accident causes M4 delays"
    >
    > <A
    > href="http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cycling-accident-causes-m4-delays/2005/0"
    > target=_blank>_http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cycling-accident-causes-m4-delays/2005/0_9/24/1126982257674.html (\"http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cycling-accident-causes-m4-delays/2005/09/24/1126982257674.html\")
    >
    > No wonder motorist treat us with contempt when that pathetic rag seems
    > think that a cycling fatality is no more serious than a "[traffic]
    > delay".
    >
    > Bastards
    >
    > Scotty
    >

    > PS. Channel Packer just reported the deceased cyclist as a senior (NSW)
    > policeman. Maybe the cops might start taking anti cycling road rage a
    > touch
    > more seriously now. May he rest in peace.
    >

    > --
    > scotty72

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Crap immature trolling.

    Ignore.

  4. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    I make it a policy not to argue with idiots (as you can't make an idiot see that he is an idiot)

    Obviously, I am unable to respond to you any further.

    Scotty

  5. On 24 Sep 2005 02:37:46 -0700, Ihatepoliticalcorrectness
    <ihatepoliticalcorrect[email protected]> wrote:

    [...]

    > Witnesses have told police two cyclists were travelling in the same
    > direction in the breakdown lane when they collided."
    >
    > Seems to me that one cyclist caused the death of a fellow cyclist
    > (wonder if they knew each other or were related?).
    >
    > What were they doing cycling in the breakdown lane?

    The M4 brakedown lane is a cycle path. Infact its the only safe cycle
    route between Penrith and Prospect. I train on it reguallly as well
    as use it to commute to my perent's place on almost a weekly basis.

    Unfortitly this accedent doesn't supprise me, though I expected that
    an accedent would have occured near the wallgrove road turn off where
    works have narrowed the bike path to a single bike width.

    http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
    Free the Memes.

  6. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    The one at Batehaven was a scooter, which is legally a toy?

  7. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    ok, sorry - didn't realise that

    but he is still equally dead

  8. The Doctor

    The Doctor Guest

    "David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus)" <[email protected]>
    wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > On 24 Sep 2005 02:37:46 -0700, Ihatepoliticalcorrectness
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> Witnesses have told police two cyclists were travelling in the same
    >> direction in the breakdown lane when they collided."
    >>
    >> Seems to me that one cyclist caused the death of a fellow cyclist
    >> (wonder if they knew each other or were related?).
    >>
    >> What were they doing cycling in the breakdown lane?

    > The M4 brakedown lane is a cycle path. Infact its the only safe cycle
    > route between Penrith and Prospect. I train on it reguallly as well
    > as use it to commute to my perent's place on almost a weekly basis.
    >
    > Unfortitly this accedent doesn't supprise me, though I expected that
    > an accedent would have occured near the wallgrove road turn off where
    > works have narrowed the bike path to a single bike width.

    That's the thing about the authorities in NSW. They allow people to ride
    on the breakdown lane on things like the M4 (does that pass through
    Macquarie Uni on the way to the city?). and then they closed them off
    the works. The same thing with part of the North South Freeway leading
    to Sydney Harbour bridge. On the bike map you can ride on the breakdown
    lane but just before the Freeway joins back on to the Pacific Highway
    they closed off the breakdown for road works and the cyclists
    are forced on to totally obscure suburban roads (at least for a
    Queenslander who tried to ride on Sydney roads :-()

  9. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    Na, that's the M2 (that passes Macquarie Uni) but, you're right. They just expect that, as if by magic, cyclists will simply teleport themselves around these road works.

    Scotty

  10. scotty72 wrote:

    > Na, that's the M2 (that passes Macquarie Uni) but, you're right. They
    > just expect that, as if by magic, cyclists will simply teleport
    > themselves around these road works.

    I was surprised to find that the roadworks on the M5 for Brooks road
    have put in a new pathway for their bicycle diversion.

    Heading south from the crossroads, they want you to take Campbelltown
    road, which I thought was a major bummer because I couldn't see how you
    got back onto freeway.

    I'm not sure what is marked as I haven't ridden their diversion, but you
    can get back onto the M5/Hume Highway from Williams Road by a little
    path they have put in beside a creek. Interesting.

    http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cycling-accident-causes-m4-delays/2005/0_9/24/1126982257674.html

  11. The Doctor

    The Doctor Guest

    scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >> Queenslander who tried to ride on Sydney roads :-()

    > Na, that's the M2 (that passes Macquarie Uni) but, you're right. They
    > just expect that, as if by magic, cyclists will simply teleport
    > themselves around these road works.

    Absolutely! No difference here in Brisbane, you look at how disjoint
    bike paths are and you wonder how do you get from one lot of bike path to
    another. That's it, we use teleportation!

    > Scotty

  12. The Doctor

    The Doctor Guest

    Terry Collins <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]
    01.sydney.pipenetworks.com
    ..au:

    > scotty72 wrote:
    >
    >> Na, that's the M2 (that passes Macquarie Uni) but, you're right. They
    >> just expect that, as if by magic, cyclists will simply teleport
    >> themselves around these road works.

    > I was surprised to find that the roadworks on the M5 for Brooks road
    > have put in a new pathway for their bicycle diversion.
    >
    > Heading south from the crossroads, they want you to take Campbelltown
    > road, which I thought was a major bummer because I couldn't see how
    > you got back onto freeway.
    >
    > I'm not sure what is marked as I haven't ridden their diversion, but
    > you can get back onto the M5/Hume Highway from Williams Road by a
    > little path they have put in beside a creek. Interesting.

    I don't get it. Don't you guys have Bike NSW and BUGs?
    You need to lobby harder! Given the rising prices of oil. There
    will be more and more people on bicycles!

  13. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    We also have Michael Costa in charge of the state's purse strings.

    He has publicly said that bicycles are a waste of time (he is perhaps in pocket of oil / motor industries) and last year halved the cycle works budget.

    So, as you can see, we are pushing the stuff up-hill.

    Scotty

  14. The Doctor wrote:

    > I don't get it. Don't you guys have Bike NSW and BUGs?

    BNSW is a waste of time. If it was any good we wouldn't have CMass in
    this state. The enduring legacy of BNSW has been to create a few careers
    for bicycle bureacrats.

    I am still of mixed views on the two rides they organise.

    > You need to lobby harder!

    The problem is that the few left in Bugs are getting burnt out. It
    probably is different in other areas to which I live, but SW Sydney has
    been bug free for a decade ?

    > Given the rising prices of oil. There will be more and more people on bicycles!

    Not down this way. They'll pay for petrol before food because lack of a
    big car stops their dick working. Their brains have never worked. And
    unfortunately nothing Johhny Howard is doing is going to break the labor
    party stranglehold here, which is another major problem; entrenced
    pollies that are not selected nby local peeps. A decent bug would easily
    have more members that local ALP members and three peeps is more than
    the rest, except Greens.

    And before you say so, been there done that {:).

  15. The Doctor

    The Doctor Guest

    scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > We also have Michael Costa in charge of the state's purse strings.
    >
    > He has publicly said that bicycles are a waste of time (he is perhaps
    > in pocket of oil / motor industries) and last year halved the cycle
    > works budget.
    >
    > So, as you can see, we are pushing the stuff up-hill.

    Oh yeah, I heard he even won't stop 4WD parking near child care centres.
    What an idiot!