two much sneau

Max

Guest
ugh. two and a half hours to ride 12 miles home last night.

chicago west burbs, 12:30 am to 3 am. fermilab to west side aurora.

mtb with 1.9" inverted tread tires.

would knobbies have made it a little easier?

Caught a cop doing donuts in a parking lot.

definitely fun.

.max

--
the part of <[email protected]> was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

In article <[email protected]>, max <[email protected]> wrote:

> ugh. two and a half hours to ride 12 miles home last night.
>
> chicago west burbs, 12:30 am to 3 am. fermilab to west side aurora.
>
> mtb with 1.9" inverted tread tires.
>
> would knobbies have made it a little easier?
>
> Caught a cop doing donuts in a parking lot.
>
> definitely fun.
>
> .max

When I saw on the news that there was a big storm in the midwest, I thought, yep, that's going to
head our way over the lakes and we'll get snow.

It's been snowing since 9 pm yesterday.

[email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> When I saw on the news that there was a big storm in the midwest, I thought, yep, that's going to
> head our way over the lakes and we'll get snow.
>
> It's been snowing since 9 pm yesterday.

Oh the joys of winter in Montreal...why I moved to Vancouver.

"Mike Latondresse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>

> > When I saw on the news that there was a big storm in the midwest, I thought, yep, that's going
> > to head our way over the lakes and we'll get snow.
> >
> > It's been snowing since 9 pm yesterday.
> >
> Oh the joys of winter in Montreal...why I moved to Vancouver.

I say the same thing about my parents in VA... They get buried under several feet of snow, then it
starts raining! Bah! I'd go crazy riding the trainer the whole winter. I don't think I've been on my
rollers more than once or twice since I moved to CA 6 years ago. In fact, I'm about to put on my
shorts and jersey and go ride.

I love (to visit) the snow.

Mike

In article <[email protected]>, Mike Latondresse <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>

> > When I saw on the news that there was a big storm in the midwest, I thought, yep, that's going
> > to head our way over the lakes and we'll get snow.
> >
> > It's been snowing since 9 pm yesterday.
> >
> Oh the joys of winter in Montreal...why I moved to Vancouver.

Yes, where it rains all winter. Yech! Mind you I think I'd prefer that to the arctic cold we've
been having.

"Mike Latondresse" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >
> Oh the joys of winter in Montreal...why I moved to Vancouver.

Mike, this weather sucks, what makes me angry is that Lance Armstrong rode his first race of the
season today in Spain with the temperature 23c in Murcia.

Of course he finished back in 82nd place, even ol Domingo Segado of team Paternina beat him
over the line.

Today I saw some improperly dressed bike commuter riding some lame ass-steel bike into the wind and
I had to think to myself 'why even bother'.

"Mike S." wrote:

> "Mike Latondresse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in news:[email protected]:
> >

> > > When I saw on the news that there was a big storm in the midwest, I thought, yep, that's going
> > > to head our way over the lakes and we'll get snow.
> > >
> > > It's been snowing since 9 pm yesterday.
> > >
> > Oh the joys of winter in Montreal...why I moved to Vancouver.
>
> I say the same thing about my parents in VA... They get buried under several feet of snow, then it
> starts raining! Bah! I'd go crazy riding the trainer the whole winter. I don't think I've been on
> my rollers more than once or twice since I moved to CA 6 years ago. In fact, I'm about to put on
> my shorts and jersey and go ride.
>
> I love (to visit) the snow.
>
> Mike

oyeah snow is for postcards, xmas cards, and mountain tops 40 miles away Bernie

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Mike Latondresse <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in news:[email protected]:
> >

> > > When I saw on the news that there was a big storm in the midwest, I thought, yep, that's going
> > > to head our way over the lakes and we'll get snow.
> > >
> > > It's been snowing since 9 pm yesterday.
> > >
> > Oh the joys of winter in Montreal...why I moved to Vancouver.
>
> Yes, where it rains all winter. Yech! Mind you I think I'd prefer that to the arctic cold we've
> been having.

We westerners have soft water, caused by our coniferous forests. Easterners have hard water, caused
by (a) deciduous forests and (b) having to chop three feet to get to the "soft" water! Best
regards, Bernie

On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:06:30 -0500, Mike S. wrote:

> I say the same thing about my parents in VA... They get buried under several feet of snow, then it
> starts raining! Bah! I'd go crazy riding the trainer the whole winter. I don't think I've been on
> my rollers more than once or twice since I moved to CA 6 years ago. In fact, I'm about to put on
> my shorts and jersey and go ride.

Grumble. Stuff it, Mike.

But really, it has not been that bad. President's day was a RPITA, and ruined riding for several
days. But we can ride in PA now -- until tomorrow morning, anyway. Then freezing rain changing to
snow. Ought to be fun.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but _`\(,_ | what canst thou say?
-- George Fox. (_)/ (_) |

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Mike Latondresse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in news:[email protected]:
> >

> > > When I saw on the news that there was a big storm in the midwest, I thought, yep, that's going
> > > to head our way over the lakes and we'll get snow.
> > >
> > > It's been snowing since 9 pm yesterday.
> > >
> > Oh the joys of winter in Montreal...why I moved to Vancouver.
>
> I say the same thing about my parents in VA... They get buried under several feet of snow, then it
> starts raining! Bah! I'd go crazy riding
the
> trainer the whole winter. I don't think I've been on my rollers more than once or twice since I
> moved to CA 6 years ago. In fact, I'm about to put
on
> my shorts and jersey and go ride.
>
> I love (to visit) the snow.
>
> Mike

I can't tell a lie. I actually went outside, and lo and behold, it was a little chilly. I ended up
riding with arm and knee warmers on because of the breeze off the ocean. The ride home around dusk
into the headwind made me actually have to put on (gasp!) a vest.

Things aren't all sunshine and roses here in SoCal. Having to wear arm and knee warmers all winter
is seriously affecting my riding! How can I get that awesome cyclist's tan if I'm wearing arm and
knee warmers?? Jeez, next thing you know, it'll be summer and I won't have a tan! Man, I'm bummed.

Mike

"Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> We westerners have soft water, caused by our coniferous forests. Easterners have hard water,
> caused by (a) deciduous forests and (b) having to chop
three
> feet to get to the "soft" water!

No, we have acidic water caused by Midwestern power plants.

Winter riding, even here in the Northeast isn't that big a deal. Our Saturday morning club ride
(Boston) recently celebrated the 300th consecutive and got a plug in Bicycling magazine
(http://www.trailwatch.net/300A).

The worst part of winter riding is the shortened daylight hours, that and potholes. Cold, wet *and*
dark can be grim, two out of three aren't bad.

Peter Cole wrote:

> The worst part of winter riding is the shortened daylight hours, that and potholes. Cold, wet
> *and* dark can be grim, two out of three aren't bad.

I'm not particularly enamored of frozen gear cables. Made the mistake of leaving the bike in the
easiest gear yesterday when I got home (we're at the top of a modest hill). I had to pedal very fast
for several blocks before the gears unstuck.

Maybe I should store my bike inside.

Scott

"Scott Lindstrom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter Cole wrote:
>
> > The worst part of winter riding is the shortened daylight hours, that and potholes. Cold, wet
> > *and* dark can be grim, two out of three aren't bad.
>
> I'm not particularly enamored of frozen gear cables. Made the mistake of leaving the bike in the
> easiest gear yesterday when I got home (we're at the top of a modest hill). I had to pedal very
> fast for several blocks before the gears unstuck.

I use a fixed gear, myself. On a recent group ride in single digit (F) temps, most of the STI levers
were waving uselessly in the (frigid) breeze, at least I got to choose my single gear in advance.

Peter Cole wrote:

> "Scott Lindstrom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Peter Cole wrote:
> >
> > > The worst part of winter riding is the shortened daylight hours, that and potholes. Cold, wet
> > > *and* dark can be grim, two out of three aren't bad.
> >
> > I'm not particularly enamored of frozen gear cables. Made the mistake of leaving the bike in the
> > easiest gear yesterday when I got home (we're at the top of a modest hill). I had to pedal very
> > fast for several blocks before the gears unstuck.
>
> I use a fixed gear, myself. On a recent group ride in single digit (F) temps, most of the STI
> levers were waving uselessly in the (frigid) breeze, at least I got to choose my single gear in
> advance.

What's this "frozen" thing you guys keep bringing up? Bernie

Bernie wrote:

> What's this "frozen" thing you guys keep bringing up? Bernie

Think Margarita. Apply to chains and cables.

Scott