two Q's re: master links & Velo Flash seat

C.J.Patten

Guest
Howdy folks!

I was away from cycling long enough the "master link" concept is foreign to
me. I gather my chain doesn't have one or I'd notice it and be able to
remove my chain without tools. (my 14 year old Shimano chain had a single
"servicable link" but needed a tool and I gather that's not the same deal)

I've seen two aftermarket links of interest: KMC's "Missing Link II" and a
Craig "Super Link III."
http://www.theramp.net/craig/slmain.html
http://www.yuccadune.com/product813.html

Packaging on the KMC (I've held one in my hands) specifically says "NOT
REUSABLE." The Super Link claims to be the only reusable one on the market.

What's with that? Can you actually reuse a KMC? Anyone use a Super Link?

At the risk of putting this crudely: "tell me which to buy and why I need
to." ;)

_________

Other question: I have several older "Velo" brand seats - one's a "Flash"
model which has blinking LEDs built in for night riding. Is the seat junk or
is it reasonably comfortable? (realizing everyone's butt is different...the
LEDs would be nice.)

Thanks!

Chris

"Brian Sanderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Buy a "chain breaker" tool from Park or some other reputable tool
>> company. Then you can service any chain...with or without a "master link"

>>I also have a velo flash seat. As a seat it's OK. As a blinkie, it's
>>less than ideal. Don't get it wet!

Hey Brain! I just bought a chain tool since I seem to have lost my old one
sometime over the last decade. I would have needed one to install one of
these links anyhow. Just wondering if folks equip their chains with these
things for convenience even if they have a tool.

Haven't had any trouble with the seat while riding in the rain but the
point's taken. ;)

Thanks,
Chris

"C.J.Patten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "araby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In my experience the idea is good in theory but when you have
>> accumulated any road detritus on the link, the slot gets gummed up and
>> won't work (slide). It's easy enough when you have cleaned it, but this
>> is only practical at home where a link extractor is available anyway.
>> Moreover, I have NEVER had to perform any roadside chain work so it seems
>> rather redundant. I don't bother with them anymore. KMC has a joining
>> link system but once it's snapped in position it becomes just another
>> link.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Roy

> Thanks Roy. That was my concern with the KMC - it seems to be strictly for
> road-side triage without the chain tool. ("non-reusable")
>
> Do you see any problem cleaning a gummed-up master-link slot with the
> corner of a cycle jersey or is this a job for solvents?

Depends on how much you like the jersey :)
As I mentioned before, I have never removed the link on the road.
The first time I tried to clean out the slot, I used a tooth pick but
finally resorted to solvent. This was a SRAM chain.

Cheers,

Roy