Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Two Tioga Comp Pool belt failures

Started by Bentheadswb · · Last activity · 5 posts · 995 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
21 July 2003
Last activity
22 July 2003
Original author
Bentheadswb
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
995
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello All, Last week my beloved SWB started to thump, I did not get a subwoofer...just the front
    belts on the Comp Pool started to fail. It looked warped and had bulges in the tread when the belts
    started to seperate. 11 months old so I figured I got some life out of it. Ordered another one and
    put in on yesturday, did 25 miles in the hot sun and called it a day. This morning went riding with
    the family and I detected that thump in the front again. Took the wheel off and it had the same
    problem! Thumped my way to the LBS and they are going to order me another Comp Pool to replace the
    defective one. Anyone else have Tioga Comp Pool problems? Did Tioga outsource to Firestone to make
    their tires or am I just unlucky? The LBS will show both tires to the distributor to see what the
    problem is. If the next one craps out, what would be a good replacement?

    John H Thumping in N TX

  2. John, Could be a bad batch, it happens. I had one of the Japan made ones do the same thing a coupla
    years back. They are now made in the Philippines. Overall I have had no defect returns of Comp Pools
    in the last 4 years of selling them. I think they are a great tire.

    --
    Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports,
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "BentHeadSWB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello All, Last week my beloved SWB started to thump, I did not get a


    subwoofer...just

    Quoted message said:

    the front belts on the Comp Pool started to fail. It looked warped and


    had

    Quoted message said:

    bulges in the tread when the belts started to seperate. 11 months old so


    I

    Quoted message said:

    figured I got some life out of it. Ordered another one and put in on yesturday, did 25 miles in
    the hot sun and called it a day. This morning went riding with the family and I detected that
    thump in


    the

    Quoted message said:

    front again. Took the wheel off and it had the same problem! Thumped my


    way

    Quoted message said:

    to the LBS and they are going to order me another Comp Pool to replace the defective one. Anyone
    else have Tioga Comp Pool problems? Did Tioga outsource to


    Firestone

    Quoted message said:

    to make their tires or am I just unlucky? The LBS will show both tires to


    the

    Quoted message said:

    distributor to see what the problem is. If the next one craps out, what


    would

    Quoted message said:

    be a good replacement?

    John H Thumping in N TX

  3. Quoted message said:

    Could be a bad batch, it happens.

    I hope so, but I purchased the tires 11 months apart so I don't think it is the batch. My LBS will
    have another Comp Pool in by Tuesday so I can see what it does. Hopefully it will not have any
    problems (can't get three bad ones can I?)

    John H N TX

  4. (BentHeadSWB) said:
    Quoted message said:

    Could be a bad batch, it happens.

    I hope so, but I purchased the tires 11 months apart so I don't think it is the batch. My LBS will
    have another Comp Pool in by Tuesday so I can see what it does. Hopefully it will not have any
    problems (can't get three bad ones can I?)

    If the two failures occured on the same wheel, perhaps there's a problem with the rim?

    Ken Kobayashi [email hidden] solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jppersonal

  5. [email hidden] (BentHeadSWB) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello All, Last week my beloved SWB started to thump, I did not get a subwoofer...just the front
    belts on the Comp Pool started to fail. It looked warped and had bulges in the tread when the
    belts started to seperate.... [snip]

    I had an identical problem with a recently purchased Comp Pool - was lucky to make it home from a
    long ride. If you look inside the tire the problem becomes obvious since there is a 6" area where
    the smooth surface is interrupted by a tumor like rough patch. My LBS replaced the tire and
    mentioned that this was the third one he'd seen like this. Anyway, before you mount a Comp Pool make
    sure to inspect the inside of the tire.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.