two tragic accidents

Bill B

Guest
First accident.Three cyclists were hit from the rear by a
full size passenger van.One of the cyclists was treated and
released the other two[a husband and wife] were critically
hurt.The wife is recovering and the husband is still on a
ventilator. Second accident has nothing to do with cycling
but it did happen on my farm property. Seven teenagers [two
15 yr old and the rest 13yr olds] were killed instantly when
the car they were joy riding in left the road[became
airborn], turned on its side and slammed into a tree. The
mazda sedan hardtop became a convertable.I had no idea that
the road that ran along the side of my farm was known as a
thrill hill.Also did not know what a thrill hill was. Now I
know that for years local teens and 20ish kids would drive
out to the road,accelerate to a high speed and fly off the
small hill.It was estimated that the kids were going over
80mph. So sad that seven young lives were lost.

"Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
<snip>

I read about the seven kids. Terrible. But for the grace of
God there go I. When I was a kid we had a Thrill Hill too.
If you were going fast enough you could get all four wheels
off the ground after cresting the hill. Lots of us did it
(or claimed we did) and somehow we all survived. I didn't
know kids today were still doing that kind of stupid stuff
(I'm pretty much aware they can do other kinds of stupid
stuff though).

I hope the cyclists recover to ride another day. Road riding
has its dangers, but that's where I choose to ride.

skip

[email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> First accident.Three cyclists were hit from the rear by a
> full size passenger van.One of the cyclists was treated
> and released the other two[a husband and wife] were
> critically hurt.The wife is recovering and the husband is
> still on a ventilator.
>
> Second accident has nothing to do with cycling but it did
> happen on my farm property. Seven teenagers [two 15 yr old
> and the rest 13yr olds] were killed instantly when the car
> they were joy riding in left the road[became airborn],
> turned on its side and slammed into a tree. The mazda
> sedan hardtop became a convertable.I had no idea that the
> road that ran along the side of my farm was known as a
> thrill hill.Also did not know what a thrill hill was. Now
> I know that for years local teens and 20ish kids would
> drive out to the road,accelerate to a high speed and fly
> off the small hill.It was estimated that the kids were
> going over 80mph. So sad that seven young lives were lost.

Good Grief Bill! It is more than sad, it is downright
criminal. I have come to the conclusion that young people
should not be permitted to do anything at all except go to
school and hopefully learn something about life before they
throw their lives away.

Everything could kick in at about age 18 or 21 and by
everything I do mean everything. Driving, cars, drinking,
dating, voting, military service, etc. - in other words
everything. Young people may or may not have some
intelligence, but they totally lack judgment, most
especially when it comes to their own safety and that of
others. I don't think our brains are developed enough until
the teens are over with.

Hells Bells! I am an old man now and have a world of
experience behind me and I would never even think about
going 80 mph. But maybe if I were 15 years of age I would.
Thank God we had parents back then who knew kids were dumber
than door knobs and they would never think of letting us
drive the family car out on the highway or any place else
either for that matter. Why bring a kid into the world if
you can't get him to adulthood.

We have the most terrible car accidents here in the southern
Minnesota countryside too and it is all of it caused by
foolishness. I think the worst car accident ever (the most
people killed) involving just two cars occurred just a bit
north of here near the town of Slayton. It is in all the
text books that police officers use to instruct others in
safe driving. I get depressed just thinking about it.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> ... Hells Bells! I am an old man now and have a world of
> experience behind me and I would never even think about
> going 80 mph....

Your criticism of Sam Whittingham is unwarranted.

I recently retired from law enforcement. I had to go to six
different households to tell parents that their kid had died
after striking a tree. Not by jumping a hill though...just
speed and missing a curve. No one heard or saw the crash
(rural) for hours.

I hated that very much. I wanted to quit that day.

"Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> First accident.Three cyclists were hit from the rear by a
> full size passenger van.One of the cyclists was treated
> and released the other two[a husband and wife] were
> critically hurt.The wife is recovering and the husband is
> still on a ventilator. Second accident has nothing to do
> with cycling but it did happen on my farm property. Seven
> teenagers [two 15 yr old and the rest 13yr olds] were
> killed instantly when the car they were joy riding in left
> the road[became airborn], turned on its side and slammed
> into a tree. The mazda sedan hardtop became a
> convertable.I had no idea that the road that ran along the
> side of my farm was known as a thrill hill.Also did not
> know what a thrill hill was. Now I know that for years
> local teens and 20ish kids would drive out to the
> road,accelerate to a high speed and fly off the small
> hill.It was estimated that the kids were going over 80mph.
> So sad that seven young lives were lost.

If we did as you suggest we woud raise a generation of sheltered marshmellows. I want to raise individuals not safe little robots.

watsonglenn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> If we did as you suggest we would raise a generation of
> sheltered marshmallows. I want to raise individuals not
> safe little robots.

I debated with myself whether to respond to this nincompoop
who I know knows how to post but he refuses to observe the
conventions of posting. After giving the matter due
consideration, I have decided not to answer him after all.

However, if he would like to hear what I have to say about
his reasoning on the above matter, all he has to do is post
properly and I will be delighted to answer him.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > ... Hells Bells! I am an old man now and have a world of
> > experience behind me and I would never even think about
> > going 80 mph....
>
> Your criticism of Sam Whittingham is unwarranted.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Sam (the fastest man alive under his own power) and I live
in different universes. I have always like to go slow,
whether under my own power or motorized. The main reason I
got a recumbent in the first place is so that I could go
slow in comfort. I find that the slower I go the more I see
and experience and the more pleasure I get from it. The only
thing to be said for speed is that you can get to where ever
you are going quicker. Since I am never going anywhere
anyway, I do no see the point of it.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Bill, I am pretty sure that we, as a society, do not say
thanks to cops often enough. I can't imagine what that
evening must have been like for you but I want to say
thanks for doing it. Thanks for all of your years of
service. Thanks,
dj.

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I recently retired from law enforcement. I had to go to
> six different households to tell parents that their kid
> had died after striking a tree. Not by jumping a hill
> though...just speed and missing a curve. No one heard or
> saw the crash (rural) for hours.
>
> I hated that very much. I wanted to quit that day.

Ed, there many things about which we disagree, but not this
one. Nobody should be driving before 18. And the roads today
are vastly more crowded and dangerous than when I was a kid.

"jim h" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Ed, there many things about which we disagree, but not
> this one. Nobody should be driving before 18. And the
> roads today are vastly more crowded and dangerous than
> when I was a kid.

Jim, every post is sui generis with me. Never any reason to
bring up any past history.

My mother used to tell us kids about how she used to drive
the old Model A Ford from her farm into town on the gravel
roads back about a hundred years ago. She always said it was
perfectly safe. Once the cars got faster and the roads got
better she never drove again in her life.

I have seen traffic get worse and worse my entire life. Now
it is truly a horror. Does anyone enjoy driving anymore? I
shudder every time I have to use my car to go somewhere.

It appears there is scientific evidence now about the
development of the human brain which indicates that it is
not fully developed until the teens are about over. What is
mainly lacking are the judgment faculties. This relates
directly to safety.

Have you ever seen those kids on their skate boards? They
risk life and limb and seem to have no conception of any
danger. The emergency rooms are full of them because of the
injuries they incur doing stupid, crazy tricks on those
things. We have to recognize that there is something
drastically wrong with the teenage brain as to how it thinks
about safety matters.

Kids can be on bicycles or they can take public
transportation or they can have their parents drive them
(it would never even have occurred to my parents to drive
us kids anywhere - and I do mean anywhere) when they have
to go someplace that is too far to walk. To tell you the
truth, I never see kids walking or biking anymore. Their
parents must be driving them around or else they are
driving themselves around. No wonder the kids are all
getting as fat as us adults.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"jim h" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ed, there many things about which we disagree, but not
> this one. Nobody should be driving before 18. And the
> roads today are vastly more crowded
and
> dangerous than when I was a kid.

Jim,

My wife and I have five sons. The first got his D.L. at
16....he proceded to establishing a horrible driving record
which continues into his midlife. It is a wonder that he did
not kill himself or someone else. The next son did not drive
untill he was 19! We later let the other 3 three start
driving at about 18. None of that four had any serious
driving problems.

So, here are two parents that totally agree with you.

Jack

As typical of Flabby Blabby's lard ass remarks, his moronic
statements makes no sense.

Been off the bike too long huh? What you need is a good
shovin up the ass with the seat post coated with Phil
grease. Been looking and playing with yourself while scaring
kids in front of the ReMax mirrored window?

FLABBY IS SUCH A PERVERT!!!

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I recently retired from law enforcement. I had to go to
> > six different households to tell parents that their kids
> > had died after striking a tree. \
>
> Any idea why the kid had six parents?

[email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> First accident.Three cyclists were hit from the rear by a
> full size passenger van.One of the cyclists was treated
> and released the other two[a husband and wife] were
> critically hurt.The wife is recovering and the husband is
> still on a ventilator. Second accident has nothing to do
> with cycling but it did happen on my farm property. Seven
> teenagers [two 15 yr old and the rest 13yr olds] were
> killed instantly when the car they were joy riding in left
> the road[became airborn], turned on its side and slammed
> into a tree. The mazda sedan hardtop became a
> convertable.I had no idea that the road that ran along the
> side of my farm was known as a thrill hill.Also did not
> know what a thrill hill was. Now I know that for years
> local teens and 20ish kids would drive out to the
> road,accelerate to a high speed and fly off the small
> hill.It was estimated that the kids were going over 80mph.
> So sad that seven young lives were lost.

Just FYI about another accident that could have been
prevented. Check out http://www.savagehillcycling.com/. A
lone rider out on a training ride had his handle bars
clipped by a passing pickup truck. NO charges filed against
the driver of the pickup.

"FlabbyBlabbyRevealed" <[email protected]> wrote in
message .com...
> As typical of Flabby Blabby's lard ass remarks, his
> moronic statements makes no sense.
>
> Been off the bike too long huh? What you need is a good
> shovin up the ass with the seat post coated with Phil
> grease. Been looking and playing with yourself while
> scaring kids in front of the ReMax mirrored window?
>
> FLABBY IS SUCH A PERVERT!!!

Ok, here's the perfect example as to why I never post to
this group anymore.

You guys should think about changing to being a moderated
group and then you can weed out posters like this guy above.
We don't need his type in here.

DAMN!!! And I thought Mr. Ed was out of line! Sickys are
as sickeys say, I guess; now where are my box of
chocolates??? CHILL!!!

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

news:<[email protected]>...

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<qOm5c.809813$X%5.110192@pd7tw2no>...
> "FlabbyBlabbyRevealed" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message .com...
> > As typical of Flabby Blabby's lard ass remarks, his
> > moronic statements makes no sense.
> >
> > Been off the bike too long huh? What you need is a good
> > shovin up the ass with the seat post coated with Phil
> > grease. Been looking and playing with yourself while
> > scaring kids in front of the ReMax mirrored window?
> >
> > FLABBY IS SUCH A PERVERT!!!
> >

> Ok, here's the perfect example as to why I never post to
> this group anymore.
>
> You guys should think about changing to being a moderated
> group and then you can weed out posters like this guy
> above. We don't need his type in here.

Hey Fab,

I enjoy your posts and hope you don't quit sending them! I
ride a fine DF bike two just like you but I also am into the
darkside of recumbents too. Unfortunately I am quite faster
on the speedy recumbent all around but find that I climb a
little slower on those steep climbs! But, a pro rider like
yourself could bennifit from a little time on a bent since
it is great cross training and will make your seated
climbing much better on your upright bike. As always your
posts are very entertaining and I hope they keep comming.

nogoslow,

Didn't you know Flabby Blabby is really Ed Whitebone? He is
NO pro rider, rather a overthehill no name. See:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
8&selm=3eede28b%241_2%40news.chariot.net.au

For years now, the usenet readers know he is the REAL
poseur. His recent arrest and conviction for lewd behavior
is the product of his mental illness. Understand Flabby via
his actions, not words.

Flabby's Buddy

"FlabbyBlabbyRevealed" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> nogoslow,
>
> Didn't you know Flabby Blabby is really Ed Whitebone? He
> is NO pro rider, rather a overthehill no name. See:

Funny, but we know that webpage was made up years ago by
Katz over in rec.bicycles.misc, now don't say you didn't
know that.

Now don't lie.